1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Ben Stiller clip of, "People in Your Neighborhood"

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by teenintosesame, Aug 10, 2005.

1. I remember from Season 32 a clip in which Telly and Ben Stiller sing, "People in Your Neighborhood". They sing about a mail carrier and a cable guy. Then Ben dresses as a giant cheese saying that a cheese is a person in your neighborhood. The mail carrier's verse is classic, so I know the lyrics to that, but does anybody know the lyrics to the cable guy's verse?
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I remember this skit! The cableman's verse was..."Oh a cable guy hooks up your TV/To play your favorite show or movie/If you're seeing nothin' but fuzz/He'll come to fix cuz..."

Y'know what I don't understand is the fact that Elmo had nothing to do with this bit, yet in a screenshot of this skit in People Magazine...there's Elmo sitting on Ben's costume! I don't get it! Oh yeah, I forgot! Elmo's a glory-hog!
  3. When Ben dresses as a cheese, his verse is:
    A cheese is a really great fella
    Whether you want ??? or mozzarella
    I'm a really, really tasty dish
    Try melting me on tuna fish
    Because a cheese is a person in your neighborhood...

What other type of cheese was described besides mozzarella?
  4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

According to my tape it's...

Oh a cheese is really great fellah,
    you can call me Swiss, Brie, or Mozzearella!
    I'm a really, really tasty dish,
    try melting me on tuna fish.
  5. The mail carrier's verse is:
    Oh, a mail carrier brings the mail
    Through rain or snow or sleet or hail
    She'll work and work the whole day through
    To get your letters safe to you.
    Because...(repeat chorus)
  6. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

This skit can be found on the DVD "Sesame Street Karaoke"

It's towards the end of the program.
  7. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Wait... "mail carrier"? When did THAT happen? Don't know about THIS version, but it was ALWAYS "Postman", NOT "Mail Carrier". The latter has too many syllables.
  8. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Actually, I remember the mail carrier (aka postman) has been in nearly all versions of the song. I remember it was in the first version with Bob and the AMs. I also read that verse in an 80s Sesame Street book. I guess the cable guy and the cheese were just made up for the Telly/Ben Stiller version.
  9. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I think there have been about 100 versions of this song. There was even a whole book in the 80s devoted to this song, called "The People In Your Neighborhood."
  10. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

It must be a PC thing. "Postman" signifies that a man is doing the job. "Mail carriers" is not gender specific. Just like we are supposed to say "fire fighter" instead of fireman these days.
  11. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Whoa, that didn't even occur to me. And normally I get all wound up about those kinda things. But the AM in the skit is a MAN, so what's wrong with saying Postman? or Fireman? **pouts** that's bizarre they'd change the verses.

edit: Like the sound of the Cheese verse though. That's fun. ^_^
  12. Daffyfan2003

Yeah, that's the one that I was talking about. I think it was in one of those "On My Way with Sesame Street" collections. The thing I remember most about that one was a pic of a guy reading a magazine, however his hair was over his eyes so he couldn't see what he was reading. Lol.
  13. Daffyfan2003

Sorry about repeating myself, but I thought I'd ad more to the "People in Your Neighborhood" thread. I remember quite a few versions. The one I know best was with Bob and the AMs. Not the original version with the postman and the Santa Claus reference. The one I remember was with a cranky bus driver and a dentist who made corny jokes. (Ex: Tooth thirty; Down in the mouth) I can't remember the verse about the dentist though.

And of course the was the famous version from the 80s special with Ralph Nader, Barbara Walters and the tennis player. Just thought I'd mention that.
  14. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I think it was "Tooth hurty," as in, you go to the dentist when your tooth hurts.

However, an interesting thing about this one, especially with the bus driver, is that like the bus driver didn't like know he was going to be forced to do that song. In fact, I don't think he really wanted to do it. So, the question is, how could he like think up a verse with rhymes to sing on such short notice?
  15. Daffyfan2003

Hmmm. I never really thought of that. I guess it's possible. It's pretty easy to rhyme "know" and "go" and "way" and "day." Another possibility is that the verse was written ahead of time and he just added "if you're lucky."
  16. When Ben Stiller learns it's not smart to dress like a cheese at lunchtime, shouldn't it have been mice he attracted who wanted to eat him rather than the two other people in the neighborhood?
  17. JLG

JLG Member

Don't forget Telly's reaction. "A cheese?" Ben sings his verse and while he's singing the repeat chorus, Telly's saying something like "A cheese isn't a person in your neighborhood!......is it? (pause) Awww, why not?" And then he starts singing along.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to say, I would love to buy the Karaoke DVD just for this one. I love Ben Stiller, and his father Jerry... and his mother too... His mother was in ALF after all.

I really love those episodes of King of Queens where Anne and Jerry have scenes where they hate each other... or rather Anne loves Jerry, yet Jerry hates Anne.
  19. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

Oh wow. This sounds so funny. Unfortunately I've never seen Ben Stiller on Sesame Street, but the thought of Ben dressing like cheese reminds me of Bob dressing up as a banana.