Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Even though a few Christians on this forum want to "share Christ's love" with others, I don't think that Muppet Central is the right place to preach ANY religion, Christian or otherwise--unless someone wants to discuss the theology in Jim Henson's work. I myself am a Norse pagan, but usually don't bring up my faith here because I know it's inappropriate. If I were to "share" the values and beliefs of Asatru here, dozens of people would criticize me for off-topic preaching; and they'd be right to do that.

At the risk of playing moderator here--yes, Christianity does relate to the Bert/Ernie rumors in part, because of Biblical teachings against homosexuality and the resulting complaints against CTW. But please try your best to stay on topic here; there are plenty of other places to discuss religion in a different context.
Well stated.

Just a bit on the topic of Jim's view (even though nobody will never really know what he believed).

After it was reported that Jim Henson held Christian Science beliefs (however loosely) I read up on the foundations of the religion and discovered the universal roots of that faith in much of his work. Much of Henson's work didn't deal with evil as much as misunderstandings, misguided deeds and squandered potential as the villains in Dark Crystal, Labyrinth and even Muppet Caper! I guess people can interpret what they will the way that they will, but that's what I found when striving to see these works through Jim's reported perspective. I know more traditional Christian-based faiths have a different foundation, but I find this to be much more inclusive. I might be completely wrong in that conclusion, but there's a reason why I list my religious affiliation as "Kermit Cult" because that's just about the lengths that I believe.

And back to the topic, well Ernie could or could not be gay, but Jim felt comfortable with a very talented gay puppeteer lending Ernie's right hand. :stick_out_tongue: :frown: Wish we could all get along like that.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
Even though a few Christians on this forum want to "share Christ's love" with others, I don't think that Muppet Central is the right place to preach ANY religion, Christian or otherwise--unless someone wants to discuss the theology in Jim Henson's work.
I also agree with this.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Then live it. Jesus was willing to hang out with those "unclean" folks. Read your book -- most of His popularity was because He healed or hung out with "sinners", etc. Occasionally, they listened to Him talk.
Exactly. I do try to do just that.
And I do associate with a pretty wide variety of people.
Thanks for everyone's honest replies and different points of view.
Jesus welcomes everyone- but He never excused anyone's wrongs. He didn't condemn people, but He did tell them to go and sin no more. Of course, He has the authority to do that.
I'm not trying to condemn any people either, but when topics like homosexuality and other things The Bible calls wrong come up, I do want to make clear where I stand on things.
And at this point I've done that and I've said all I need to on that issue.

Even though it’s clearly not your intention, I found everything you just said to be presumptuous and a little obnoxious and most of my non-Christian friends do feel the same way about that perspective. Actually, many of them would counter such a statement by saying something rather unkind, but I won’t.
I appreciate that.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
You know what? For some reason, they hinted at Ernie being gay in the SSL show, Elmo's Green Thumb. There's a part where Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Big Bird, and Baby Bear sing Inch by Inch. And after they sing the last line, "Tenting every seed we sow with care and lots of love," Ernie runs to Bert and Bert says, "Don't even think about it, Ernie." Now, it was very funny and it made me and everybody else in the audince crack up, but I hope that this doesn't make somebody go, "Bert and Ernie are gay! I know because, I saw it at SSL!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Meh... I guess I'd have to see it for myself, because I'm not quite getting that vibe in text only...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, yes, that does seem to be the hard and fast evidence that we've been looking for. Clearly they are not just best friends playing around after that moment.

Bea:zany:{Sarcasm? WHAT sarcasm?}regard

ISNorden

Reaction score
Anyone who interprets that "tending every seed we sow" lyric as evidence of Bert and Ernie being gay (even with Bert's warning to Ernie at the end) is taking things seriously out of context. Whatever affection Ernie was thinking of displaying in front of the audience, it didn't look sexual enough to fuel the rumors. Besides, Bert's behavior in TV sketches always gave me the impression that he wants his "personal space" respected--even when an old friend like Ernie gets too close.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Personally, I never really even saw why this needed to be debated. I mean, who cares? It's a show for young kids; you're not going to see anything inappropriate on it, so what difference does it make?