Bert crying

mikealan

Reaction score
I have the skit on episode #514 where Bert is crying. On that skit, Bert had a purple hand, because his hand was bruised, so Ernie decides to cheer Bert up by wearing winter clothes, but Bert thinks it's not cold out, so Ernie leaves Bert alone, and Bert begins to cry about his purple hand!

Were there any other skits where Bert is crying?

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
mikealan said:
I have the skit on episode #514 where Bert is crying. On that skit, Bert had a purple hand, because his hand was bruised, so Ernie decides to cheer Bert up by wearing winter clothes, but Bert thinks it's not cold out, so Ernie leaves Bert alone, and Bert begins to cry about his purple hand!

Were there any other skits where Bert is crying?
Bert is not crying in this skit, and his hand is not bruised. He got paint all over it and it would not wash off, so he has to wait for it to wear off. Ernie tries hiding the paint with a mitten, then matches it with another mitten, then a scarf, then a hat, then gives him a sled. He then says that the look is complete and they can now go and lay in the hot summer sun, on the beach!

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
In case you haven't noticed, I have the skit, since that's where my avatar is from. You have clearly misunderstood the sketch.

Whatever

Reaction score
There must be more than one skit, clearly. Why do you want to see Ernie and Bert crying, mikalon? :frown:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Crying, Not so sure of, but dreadfully moaning (about to cry) is common, especially the skit that ends with..

:frown: I'm gonna move out....

Maybe it's becasue of the :frown: emoticom.... maybe that's why Mike brought it up!

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Bert is not crying in this skit!

I have to vouch for the original poster who said that Bert IS crying in this sketch.

At the end, after Ernie has destroyed Bert's day by dressing him up for the beach, the skit ends with Bert sobbing on the sled.

WHY? I don't know. Maybe Frank Oz was on drugs then.

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
I have to vouch for the original poster who said that Bert IS crying in this sketch.

At the end, after Ernie has destroyed Bert's day by dressing him up for the beach, the skit ends with Bert sobbing on the sled.

My original point has been lost. I was clearing up the fact that Bert's hand was covered in paint, not bruised. And, in addition, this is not the reason he gets upset. He whimpers at the end of MANY skits after Ernie frustrates him, of course, but my point was that it was paint, not an injury.

Ernie: "Hey Bert! Bert! Let's go, Bert! It's time to leave, Bert!"
Bert: "Uh, Ernie? Hey Ernie? Hey, no, you, uh, you go ahead without me I'm not gonna come with ya."
Ernie: "Oh, but, Bert, wait a second. We've been planning this trip for a week, it's time to leave! Let's go!"
Bert: "Yeah, that's true, Ernie, but Ernie...uh, yeah, but I can't go out, uh, can't go out with ya."
Ernie: "But, Bert, why not?"
Bert: "Cuz I have a purple hand!"
Ernie: "BERT! You're hand is purple! Look at that! (laughs) What happened?"
Bert: "Don't laugh, Ernie, I got paint all over my hand!"
Ernie: "Well, wash it off and let's go, Bert."
Bert: "No, no, Ernie?"
Ernie: "Hmm?"
Bert: "I cannot wash it off, I've tried, it's gotta wear off."

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Bert is not crying in this skit, and his hand is not bruised. He got paint all over it and it would not wash off, so he has to wait for it to wear off. Ernie tries hiding the paint with a mitten, then matches it with another mitten, then a scarf, then a hat, then gives him a sled. He then says that the look is complete and they can now go and lay in the hot summer sun, on the beach!
He's right you know. That one, I remember very well. It's funny at the end where Bert's all bundled up. Then Ernie says, "Now it's time to enjoy a day of hot summer sun on the beach."

1. Decide what to wear today
2. Decide what to eat for breakfast
3. Be nervous about your physics lab
4. Be nervous about getting your physics test back

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

That's a pretty rude thing to say about Frank. It's difficult for me to believe someone who gave life to some of the most beloved Muppets of all time has ever done drugs. But you're probably right about Bert crying at the end of the sketch. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I don't remember it too well. Now that I think about it, I vaguely do remember him sobbing. And I should go on about this while waiting 120 seconds. Hmmmm. What else can I say? Okay, how'd Bert get his hand all purple in the first place? Usually when I paint, I just get a little on my hands and it usually washes off. I sure as heck wouldn't want to miss a trip to the beach for that. Okay, now let's see if I can post.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ernie crying more than Bert, and is he younger?

The purple hand one is the only time I can think of Bert crying (They probably were just trying to use a little variety in the closings and had Bert whimper instead of another exasperated sigh or scream!). But by contrast, there's quite a few times I recall Ernie crying. There's the skit that begins with Ernie crying when he feels down on himself. Another also begins with Ernie crying because it's raining and he wanted to play baseball. Ernie cries at the movie theater during a sad part. Ernie also cries while he's reading the "sad" part of the story he wrote (which was just the alphabet). And when Cookie Monster eats Bert's second piece of chocolate cake (After Ernie had eaten the first one) and Bert doesn't believe Ernie, Ernie closes the skit with crying.
Wonder if Ernie was a little younger (and thus a little less mature) than Bert, or if Ernie was just a more emotional character. In that skit where he tells Bert he's crying because it's raining out and he wanted to play baseball, Bert calmly tells Ernie, "Well Ernie it's not so bad." Ernie's reaction was much like a temper tantrum! And in that skit where they blew the fuse, Bert was the one who went to fix it while he had Ernie simply turn all the electrical devices off.
And the skit where Ernie was handling an overflow of water by taking out a glass of water at a time, Bert says, "Oh no! Why didn't you tell me sooner, Ernie?" (Perhaps suggesting that Bert was older and had more know how. Then again, maybe Ernie was the same age but just pretty dumb. Like Laurel is Hardy's age, but considerably more imbecilic!)