Bert crying

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
Bert moans a lot at the end of skits, mainly because Ernie screws him over.

But he cries also in this other skit:

1969 - He bets Ernie that Ernie can't clean up the apartment in 10 seconds before lunch. If he can't, then he gets to eat Ernie's cookie and ice cream dessert.

Of course, Ernie wins and Bert is left crying: "It's not fair...It's not fair!"

I dunno, maybe he's crying. Maybe Frank Oz was on drugs then. :wink:

Ziffel

Reaction score
I don't think he cried in this one. After he twice says, "It's just not fair", he walks away with a frustrated sigh, "Ahhhhh." I liked that skit a lot, especially the music that plays while Ernie speed cleans.
But I just thought of one where I think Bert may have cried. "The blackout". Ernie calls Oscar to let him know there's a blackout and Oscar is furious for being woken up in the middle of the night. When Oscar asks who it is, Ernie hesitates and then says, "It's Bert." Bert may have sighed again, but seems like it was more like crying or whimpering.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Bert moans a lot at the end of skits, mainly because Ernie screws him over.

But he cries also in this other skit:

1969 - He bets Ernie that Ernie can't clean up the apartment in 10 seconds before lunch. If he can't, then he gets to eat Ernie's cookie and ice cream dessert.

Of course, Ernie wins and Bert is left crying: "It's not fair...It's not fair!"

I dunno, maybe he's crying. Maybe Frank Oz was on drugs then. :wink:
now you just shut up about the drug part! you certainly have a snotty atitude and we don't need that here!

SCOOTER_101

Reaction score
Well I hate to say this but it's possible that Frank Oz might have done drugs. Think of All the Famous People in the world who have done drugs in the past. Frank Oz may be a Muppeteer but that doesn't automatically make him perfect. I know many of us like to think of the Muppeteers as being just as innocent as the Muppets they play. But in reality that's just not how it is.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I remember the one about the purple hand very well. That was classic!

In response to the previous posts, I honestly don't think Frank or any of the Muppateers were on drugs. I think if that were true we would have heard about that in the news or something.

Ziffel

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
But by contrast, there's quite a few times I recall Ernie crying. There's the skit that begins with Ernie crying when he feels down on himself. Another also begins with Ernie crying because it's raining and he wanted to play baseball. Ernie cries at the movie theater during a sad part. Ernie also cries while he's reading the "sad" part of the story he wrote (which was just the alphabet). And when Cookie Monster eats Bert's second piece of chocolate cake (After Ernie had eaten the first one) and Bert doesn't believe Ernie, Ernie closes the skit with crying.
Just posted about the Ernie putting the vase away skit and recalled that this is another one where I think Ernie cried (because he had imagined the vase falling off the shelf and Bert being upset with him).

Censored

Reaction score
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that Bert was actually crying in all of those skits. He established a type of trademark sympathy whine that was often used out of total frustration.

However, there was at least one Sesame storybook where Bert cried, called "It's Not Fair."

:frown:

Censored

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Just posted about the Ernie putting the vase away skit and recalled that this is another one where I think Ernie cried (because he had imagined the vase falling off the shelf and Bert being upset with him).
That was really a very good "lost" skit. From what I remember, Bert tells Ernie to make sure that he puts his favorite vase on the large shelf instead of the small shelf. But, Ernie imagines what would happen if he put it on the small shelf and it broke. We hear Bert's echoed voice in his head saying, "Ernie! You broke my favorite vase! Get out!" Ernie then imagines that he's out in the cold with no place to go. Bert sees him crying and asks what's wrong. When Ernie tells him what he imagined, Bert suggests that Ernie simply imagine what would happen if he put the vase on the large shelf. Ernie does and then imagines Bert's echoed voice saying, "Ernie! You saved my favorite vase! How can I ever thank you?!" He then imagines that Bert throws him a big party with balloons and presents. Ernie then goes to Bert and tells him how much he appreciates the party and the gifts and asks him to please not do anymore; it's all so much already. Prompting Bert to look at the camera and say, "He's gone bananas!"

:stick_out_tongue: :frown:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Hey that's cool, Geebee. :smile: That's pretty much exactly how I recall this vase skit too. And a couple extra details you mentioned came back to me (like Ernie picturing Bert throwing him a big party). Also neat that you confirmed that it was this skit where at the end Bert says to the viewers, "He's gone bananas, right?". I had posted about wondering which skit Bert said this line and then said I think it might be this vase one.

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=13084&page=6&pp=15