Bert's line in "Counting Sheep, Fire Engines..."

SesameMike

Reaction score
You know that ever-popular B+E skit where Ernie has insomnia, so he counts sheep, fire engines, and finally balloons? Bert has one line that I can't seem to decipher. It's right after he bellows "I want you to count something quiet to fall asleep with." Is the line:

"None of those sirens!" (in reference to the fire engines' wail)

or

"Not those sounds!"

or is it something else?

This was recently re-posted on YouTube.com, and someone commented that it's probably the funniest E+B skit ever. Can't argue with that, though I'd probably vote for the one where Ernie makes "chocolate ice cream" -- YouTube that one, hmm?

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
SesameMike said:
You know that ever-popular B+E skit where Ernie has insomnia, so he counts sheep, fire engines, and finally balloons? Bert has one line that I can't seem to decipher. It's right after he bellows "I want you to count something quiet to fall asleep with." Is the line:

"None of those sirens!" (in reference to the fire engines' wail)

or

"Not those sounds!"

or is it something else?

This was recently re-posted on YouTube.com, and someone commented that it's probably the funniest E+B skit ever. Can't argue with that, though I'd probably vote for the one where Ernie makes "chocolate ice cream" -- YouTube that one, hmm?
I'm pretty sure the line is "None of those sirens!". But I could be wrong.

It is one of my favorite E&B sketchs. I just crack up when Bert screams as the balloon explodes and the whole apartment shakes.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I'm pretty sure the line is "None of those sirens!". But I could be wrong.

It is one of my favorite E&B sketchs. I just crack up when Bert screams as the balloon explodes and the whole apartment shakes.
I'm pretty sure it's "None of those sounds" Ernie's reply is "I'll count balloons.They're quiet.They just sit there." Little do we know that the balloon explodes & scares the heck outta Ernie's poor buddy Bert

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It sounds like "None of those sirens" to me.

It's funny how Ernie got to count four sheep and two fire engines, before Bert had enough.

He counts his balloon, which explodes with a sonic bang and nearly sends Bert into cardiac arrest.

Ernie: "Um... one!"

Which causes Bert to faint. This is a strong contender for the funniest E&B skit ever. Although I also like the one where Bert tries to fall asleep, but has to deal with a leaky faucet, the radio, the vacuum, and finally, Ernie's snoring.

As Bert would sigh: "IT'S JUST NOT FAIR!!!":frown:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Would of been funny if more was added. The piece of broken balloon ends up on Bert's bed, the police and fire depts. come thinking there was an explostion, Ernie tells the cops Bert did it and for obvious reasons they believe Ernie so they take Bet away. Bert Yells No it wasn't Me! ernie was etc. Cops say ''Sure comeon.''

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
This was always one of my very favorite sketches! I used to act it out with my friends when I was little (along with many other E & B skits but this was our favorite). I'm excited to see it on YouTube when I get home, I can't watch it from work. They block YouTube. I suppose it's because I should be doing real work...oh well. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
I just played the clip on youtube. Boy it IS a tough one to decipher whether Bert said "None of those SIRENS" or "None of those SOUNDS"! I really can't tell. I tried listening for both words and can't say either one with certitude. It actually sounds like Frank Oz said a combination of the two "None of those SIGNS". He might have misspoke his line a bit and meant one of the other two, both of which would make more sense.
As a child I always thought Bert said, "SOUNDS" but not so sure anymore. The fact that fire engine sirens were the loud noise certainly makes SIRENS a possibility.

As for funniest E&B clip, this was good but, as I've mentioned several times before, the one where Ernie counts to ten and keeps starting over was definitely a funnier one for me. Boy was that one hilarious! Bert increasingly getting annoyed. Ernie finding the slightest reasons to start over. Bert holding his breath and waving his arms. Then gasping for breath when Ernie finally says 10. And the classic finale of Bert going nuts and charging around the room like a wild man when Ernie starts to say the ALPHABET!

Edit: Oh and the newest on youtube now (Ernie taking care of a potential flooding problem one glass of water at a time!) had a VERY FUNNY final scene, eh? (When Bert, under water, gurgles "Errrrrnnniieee!")