Bert's Nephew, Brad

scarecroe

Reaction score
The thread in which Bert's brother Bart came up made me think of this again. I've never seen the skit myself, but the Sesame Lyrics Archive has a transcript of it. Bert also mentioned his brother Bart in a brand new skit from yesterday's episode of Sesame Street when it was Bert's birthday.

I'm wondering if I remember his nephew's name right though. The skit I remember is Ernie and Bert giving Bert's nephew a bath. He doesn't speak, only mumbles, but he's basically a small version of Bert with orange hair. Throughout the skit, Ernie keeps filling the tub with toys until there's almost no room for Bert's nephew. I've always remembered his name as Bart. Is this right?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm sorry to say that this is another correction I feel I have to make. Bert's nephew's name is Brad. Yes, that sketch is a definite classic.
Bert starts by saying that he has everything ready for Brad's bath. Then Ernie comes in and asks what Bert's doing. Upon his reply, Ernie expresses some shock at seeing the tub stripped of any bath toys for the little tyke. Bert kind of apologizes to his nephew before Ernie comes in hauling a box of bath toys. He pulls out Rubber Duckie, two sailboats to have a race, and it seems that Bert's willing to let those in the tub with his nephew. Then Ernie pulls out a toy shark scaring Brad, whose gasp sounds a little like Beaker, followed by a life preserver and two swans. Bert yells at Ernie that he can't give Brad a bath.
Ernie: "You can't?"
Bert, still very mad: "No! Of course I can't!"
Then Ernie jumps into the tub saying that he didn't want to let all the bath water go to waste after Bert looks look in half-dismayed amazement.
Hope this helps.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
Bart is Berts brother. He looks like Bert but hes the complete opposite. Ive never seen him but ive read a transcript of when he visits and Ernie sees him. Of course Bert isnt there too cause its the same puppet.

Thijs

Reaction score
Thanks Count. I'll add Brad's name to Bert's bio. I remember that skit too. Brad is so cute. In dutch he was called "neef Basje" (neef means nephew), but because there is no english version of "basje" I didn't now his name. Until now.

Jackie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Tommie
Is Brad Bart's son?
Yeah Bart is Berts brother while Brad is Barts son...I think! LOL!!

Pino

Reaction score
The skets with Bart??

I can rememeber a skit with Bart... where he is like Bert but with a moustage and beard.. Of was it something else?
:frown:
:stick_out_tongue:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this one's another that's embedded in my memory's 13th Unit SS Division, so I'm not rully sure this is how it went.

Ernie starts painting a portrait of Bert who for some strange reason is wearing a mustache, beard, green-tinted round glasses, a blue shirt, a dark blue beret, and some beaded necklace around his neck. Ernie's a little surprised at the portrait but he likes how his imagination lent itself so readily for the painting. Bert comes in dressed up as he regularly is, and tells Ernie that's a great picture of his brother Bart. Ernie: "Bart?!?" And then we see the puppet of Bart pop in momentarily through the window for a last shot of the confusion between the brothers and the artist. Hope this helps.

Clean Gultch

Reaction score
I remember something like that but ernie was just painting a picture of bert and when he was done it looked nothing like bert (ie: curly hair, glasses, facial hair) so bert gets cheesed off. so ernie tells him not to worry and that he can fix it, so he brings bert behind the canvas and bert is shouting for ernie to stop and when bert comes out he looks like painting. its really a hilarious site.