Bert's Pigeon Bernice?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Although Iv'e heard her mentioned hundreds of times over the years, I think the only time Iv'e ever seen Bert's pet pigeon Bernice is in the skit when Bert was teaching her how to play Checkers. It seems like they didn't use this Pigeon much on Sesame Street over the years. I guess it's because she's a real pigeon and pigeons can't act. It's too bad they didn't make a Muppet version of Bernice, voiced by Fran Brill now that would have been cool. I am wondering if mabye some of you fellow Classic Sesame Street fans could tell me of some other times Bernice was on the show that I may have missed. THanks

BEAR

Reaction score
I am blanking on specific examples, but I know that Bernice was shown quite a few times. A more recent example would be in an Elmo's World segment when Elmo gets an e-mail from Bert. On the video e-mail, Bert is showing Elmo how Bernice can recite the alphabet. Of course it is really just a series of coos from the bird with Bert translating, but it is pretty amusing. The checkers one is probably the best known. I will try and find more examples for you, but right now I am blanking.

As for your idea of having Bernice be a Muppet pigeon with a voice, interesting idea, but I'm not too crazy about it personally. I think it works better having her be a real bird and Bert talking to it. As if it is a real pet. I guess it is sorta like Bert's version of Dorothy, or Rubber Duckie even. Just my opinion though.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
This isn't a classic episode but Bernice was on a resent episode where Ernie was sining a song at night about how much he loves his toes.LOL.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At the end of the special Don't Eat The Pictures: Sesame Street At The Metropolitan Museum of Art, we see a close-up of a pigeon and hear Bert say, "Go home, Berniece". So I guess we see Berniece there, even though the pigeon seen could have been a different pigeon from the one Bert was talkign to (since we didn't see Bert when he was talking in that scene).

:frown:

Rosewood

Reaction score
Bert Toes

Ilikemuppets said:
This isn't a classic episode but Bernice was on a resent episode where Ernie was sining a song at night about how much he loves his toes.LOL.
I just saw this! Bert can't go back to sleep so he strikes up a conversation with Bernice when he sees her on the window sill. He sticks his foot up to show his toes to her, she coos, and he gets all excited (in a good way)because she supposedly just told him he was "Pidgeon Toed"!

BEAR

Reaction score
Even though Bernice was Bert's main pigeon, he had a whole coup of them. Does anyone remember any other named pigeons? Just curious.

BEAR

Reaction score
*Bumping up this thread*

Anyone know all the appearances Bernice has made through the years? Does anyone remember anything about her first appearance?