Best Movie Ever!

Kiki

Reaction score
Land Speed- Just a great film. Interesting ending, too!
Oops! Heh, I was actually referring to Vanishing Point. Silly me!

I also forgot to menchion my fave Steven King film: Misery. I love it. I'm very much into off-beat movies.

Another one is Tommy. Most people I know who have seen the movie hated it. But I don't know... there's something about it I love. I think it's because it's so different and weird. The music's great, too!

How about...

THE WINSLOWNIAN LEACHIANS?
*Gasp!* Brilliant name! I love it!

lael

Reaction score
ThЄ GФOИI35!
*giggles* OИ3 ЄY3D ѠIГГY. he he he. arg matey!

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Another one is Tommy. Most people I know who have seen the movie hated it. But I don't know... there's something about it I love. I think it's because it's so different and weird. The music's great, too!
Tommy's a wonderful film by Ken Russell. He was an excellent choice to direct the Who's rock opera, and the film remains perhaps Russell's most accessible work to date.

In the 1970s, Russell was notorious for making controversial biopics of classical composers and artists, using bizarre, disturbing images to tell their stories. Many scholars of each respective artist deemed these films offensive or trashy, but they're rather entertaining.

My favorite Ken Russell film is Lisztomania (1975), starring Roger Daltrey as Franz Liszt, portrayed as the first pop star, complete with screaming groupies, papparazzi, and a messy private life. The bulk of the film deals with his relationship with rival Richard Wagner (Paul Nicholas) who is seen as a jealous rival for Liszt's stardom. At one point, Wagner even sprouts vampire fangs, and the comic book character Thor even puts in an appearance. Multiply the weirdness of Tommy by 10, and you get an idea of how strange this flick is. The soundtrack for Lisztomania was composed by Rick Wakeman of Yes, and uses synthesizers to reproduce the music of Liszt and Wagner. Oh yeah. Ringo Starr also shows up...as the Pope!

Russell's other bios include

The Music Lovers (1970) starring Richard Chamberlain as a neurotic, haunted Tchaikovsky, and Glenda Jackson as his increasingly insane wife.

Savage Messiah (1972) about French sculptor Henri Gaudier-Brzeska.

Mahler (1974) starring Robert Powell as Gustav Mahler.

Valentino (1977) with Rudolph Nureyev as silent screen heartthrob Rudolph Valentino. Michelle Phillips of the Mamas and the Papas plays his wife.

Sadly, only Tommy is available on DVD. The rest of these widescreen epics can only be found on old, OOP video cassettes.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Hmmm Ill have to look for Tommy, I didnt know they made a movie, I knew about the broadway show...i love the who so Id probably enjoy it

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Tommy, the movie, is a surreal experience. I did the show last summer, which helps a little.

Not really.