1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Best "Sesame Street" Celebrity Parodies

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by TravellingMatt, Aug 23, 2002.

1. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt New Member

Some of my favorites included Placido Flamingo (from South Domingo), Meryl Sheep (there was a bit she did with David that was just hilarious), and Bruce Stringbean (gotta love "Born To Add").

There were also some others that I'm sure the kids probably wouldn't have gotten: Flo Bear, Virginia Wolf, and H. Ross Parrot come to mind. And there is a "venue" parody--"Birdland", a jazz club that was popular in the 1950's named after Charlie Parker (aka "Yardbird" or "Bird"), is modified somewhat on the Street, it's still a jazz club, but it caters to birds, as well as cats, humans, and monsters. And Fat Blue sometimes has been spotted there--perhaps it's his one refuge from Grover.

PS--Don't tell Grover about Birdland's Latin Jazz night...he'll probably want in with his Mexican Waiter dance.

OLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLE...*crash!*
  2. manoftheSTREET

manoftheSTREET New Member

Meryl Sheep was a brill caricature...

Fave sketch: When she coached Susan Sarandon (as herself) on how to say the ABCs.

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff
  3. Astro4004

Astro4004 New Member

meryl sheep

I loved the episode where Meryl Sheep and Telly put on a production of Cinderella. A hilarious ending! I would love to see this one again.
  4. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I do love Bruce Stringbean's "Born To Add," along with some of those other rock parodies, such as:

The Beetles "Letter B", "Hey Food"
    Mick Swagger and the Cobble Stones "(I Can't Get No) Co-Operation)"
    Moe Cocker "A Little Yelp From My Friends"
    Billy Idle "Rebel L"
    Over The Top "ZZ Blues"
    How Now Brown & The Moo Wave "Wet Paint", "Danger's No Stranger"

And of course, anything by Chris and the Alphabeats or Little Jerry and the Monotones. Not all rock parody songs had names of the groups, or singers. And if they did, for example, Bruce Stringbean, I don't ever recall his name being used on the show. I think it was only used on the album.
  5. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

Placido Flamingo--Telephone Opera is wonderful, and I find myself singing it constantly.

Quinnnnnnn
  6. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant New Member

Meryl Sheep and Pat Playjak wher my fave celebrity Parodies. I could picture Pat Playjak next to Pat Sajak doing Wheel of fortune.:)
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sighhh! Me too!!! Too bad they don't do them anymore. They use the real celebrities. Well, at least "Furry Happy Monsters" rocked!!!

Once the bucks come in, I'l go and by the Sesame Road album I was eye balling.
  8. Skekayuk

Skekayuk Member

Well my favourite (as I'm sure you know TM), is of course Ethel Mermaid (a parody of TMS Season i Guest Star Ethel Merman).

To illustrate to point that she is impossible to imitiate, In her autobiography 'Don't Call Me Madam', Miss Merman herself poses the question "Have you ever actually seen a good Merman burlesque?" she evidently expected the answer "no" because the next sentance in the book is "That's what I thought". However, my answer is "Yes" thanks to that Sesame Street parody.

However, Ethel Mermaid isn't just a brilliant parody of the mighty Ethel Merman, there's a subtle second parody in there too. Yes her singing voice is very much like Ethel Merman (though its also very much like another artiste - who has also sung all five of the Cole Porter musicals written for Merman), the way she swishes her tail is just like Ethel Merman swishing the train of her dress in the film Call Me Madam, but the way she tosses her head? - that's the subtly second parody comming in again. Who? you may ask? Well I'll tell you, the British performer singing the role of Reno Sweeeny on the JAY/TER studio cast album of Anything Goes (CDTEH6011).... which when you think about it isn't all that surprising....
  9. matthewxel

matthewxel New Member

Dr. Feel as Dr. Phil!!:) I like the time when he was on the Dr.Phil show.(Well I'm feeling that you're feeling that I feel your happiness) :) :D
  10. matthewxel

matthewxel New Member

What was How Now Brown and the Moo Wave suppose to spoof off from? :concern: The New Wave? :confused:
  11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

I like when, I wanna say Richard pryor, but doubt it, was dancing with the letter "U" and the music was, "really got a hold on you" :) and the U would grab him and he would try to run in slow motion.

Ohhh, i'm off topic. Sorry! :grouchy:
  12. Splurge

Splurge Member

Smokey Robinson. :)
  13. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

How about the Dolly Parton muppet, Polly Darton? When she sang to a little dog, Goodbye to You With My Heart.

And that time she sang a 9 to 5 parody called, Counting 1 to 5.

And that Under the Weather song where she sang and this cowboy kept getting rained on, snowed, and blown by the wind. Maybe he was her old boyfriend and Polly invited him on stage and planned that weather torture just to get back at him.
  14. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Yes.I remember seeing Cookie Monster and The SS Beatles.
  15. Soul H

Soul H New Member

If you ask me, I think the parody name for Joe Cocker shoulda been Joe Cockerspaniel (hence the dog name.)

16. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Didn't like the sketch with both Dr. Feel and Dr. Phil, left me unsatisfied.
    Laughed out when they showed Triangle Bob Trianglepants.
    Born to Add by Bruce Stringbean is one of my perennial faves, got the album too. Strange thing about that one is that when I bought it, it had a normal record album but came with a cassette tape instead. The cover, which I remember from when I had better sight, is rully funny/neat. Imagine Cookie Monster filling in for Zoot, complete with Beatnik hat and glasses and coat and saxophone. And then you've got Bert standing next to him wearing his trademark pants and saddleshoes, but he's got a white shirt and a brown bomber jacket instead. Bert's also holding an electric guitar and he's got a red round pin showing the math equation "2+2 = 4".
    Hope this helps and have a good Muppety day.
  17. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

id like to hear this. do u know where i could find it?
  18. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

It's on the "Sesame Street Best" album.
  19. Soul H

Soul H New Member

To answer your questions, the name of the U song sung by the Beetles was called "Thinking of U" (but they didn't get crunched whereas the stage did.) And Hey Food was a music video on Sesame Street..

20. You know something, I think "Thinking of U" was a parody of The Beatles song, "Here, There, and Everywhere" from Revolver.