Best "Sesame Street" Celebrity Parodies

TravellingMatt

Reaction score
Some of my favorites included Placido Flamingo (from South Domingo), Meryl Sheep (there was a bit she did with David that was just hilarious), and Bruce Stringbean (gotta love "Born To Add").

There were also some others that I'm sure the kids probably wouldn't have gotten: Flo Bear, Virginia Wolf, and H. Ross Parrot come to mind. And there is a "venue" parody--"Birdland", a jazz club that was popular in the 1950's named after Charlie Parker (aka "Yardbird" or "Bird"), is modified somewhat on the Street, it's still a jazz club, but it caters to birds, as well as cats, humans, and monsters. And Fat Blue sometimes has been spotted there--perhaps it's his one refuge from Grover.

PS--Don't tell Grover about Birdland's Latin Jazz night...he'll probably want in with his Mexican Waiter dance.

OLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLEOLE...*crash!*

manoftheSTREET

Reaction score
Meryl Sheep was a brill caricature...

Fave sketch: When she coached Susan Sarandon (as herself) on how to say the ABCs.

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
meryl sheep

I loved the episode where Meryl Sheep and Telly put on a production of Cinderella. A hilarious ending! I would love to see this one again.

ssetta

Reaction score
I do love Bruce Stringbean's "Born To Add," along with some of those other rock parodies, such as:

The Beetles "Letter B", "Hey Food"
Mick Swagger and the Cobble Stones "(I Can't Get No) Co-Operation)"
Moe Cocker "A Little Yelp From My Friends"
Billy Idle "Rebel L"
Over The Top "ZZ Blues"
How Now Brown & The Moo Wave "Wet Paint", "Danger's No Stranger"

And of course, anything by Chris and the Alphabeats or Little Jerry and the Monotones. Not all rock parody songs had names of the groups, or singers. And if they did, for example, Bruce Stringbean, I don't ever recall his name being used on the show. I think it was only used on the album.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Placido Flamingo--Telephone Opera is wonderful, and I find myself singing it constantly.

Quinnnnnnn

Gentle Giant

Reaction score
Meryl Sheep and Pat Playjak wher my fave celebrity Parodies. I could picture Pat Playjak next to Pat Sajak doing Wheel of fortune.:smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by ssetta
I do love Bruce Stringbean's "Born To Add," along with some of those other rock parodies, such as:

The Beetles "Letter B", "Hey Food"
Mick Swagger and the Cobble Stones "(I Can't Get No) Co-Operation)"
Moe Cocker "A Little Yelp From My Friends"
Billy Idle "Rebel L"
Over The Top "ZZ Blues"
How Now Brown & The Moo Wave "Wet Paint", "Danger's No Stranger"

And of course, anything by Chris and the Alphabeats or Little Jerry and the Monotones.
Sighhh! Me too!!! Too bad they don't do them anymore. They use the real celebrities. Well, at least "Furry Happy Monsters" rocked!!!

Once the bucks come in, I'l go and by the Sesame Road album I was eye balling.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Well my favourite (as I'm sure you know TM), is of course Ethel Mermaid (a parody of TMS Season i Guest Star Ethel Merman).

To illustrate to point that she is impossible to imitiate, In her autobiography 'Don't Call Me Madam', Miss Merman herself poses the question "Have you ever actually seen a good Merman burlesque?" she evidently expected the answer "no" because the next sentance in the book is "That's what I thought". However, my answer is "Yes" thanks to that Sesame Street parody.

However, Ethel Mermaid isn't just a brilliant parody of the mighty Ethel Merman, there's a subtle second parody in there too. Yes her singing voice is very much like Ethel Merman (though its also very much like another artiste - who has also sung all five of the Cole Porter musicals written for Merman), the way she swishes her tail is just like Ethel Merman swishing the train of her dress in the film Call Me Madam, but the way she tosses her head? - that's the subtly second parody comming in again. Who? you may ask? Well I'll tell you, the British performer singing the role of Reno Sweeeny on the JAY/TER studio cast album of Anything Goes (CDTEH6011).... which when you think about it isn't all that surprising....

matthewxel

Reaction score
Dr. Feel as Dr. Phil!!:smile: I like the time when he was on the Dr.Phil show.(Well I'm feeling that you're feeling that I feel your happiness) :smile: :big_grin:

matthewxel

Reaction score
What was How Now Brown and the Moo Wave suppose to spoof off from? :concern: The New Wave? :confused: