Best TMS closing numbers

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Since we talked about the opening numbers for The Muppet Show, let's make a thread for the best closing numbers:

My favorites were:

"You are My Lucky Star" Star Wars
"I'm a Women" Racquel Welsh
"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" Elton John and of course
"Turn the World Around" Harry Belafonte

Oh, I also liked "Grandma's Feather Bed" from the John Denver episode and "School's Out Forever" from the Alice Cooper episode. What else should be added to the list?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Good Idea!
I personly liked the LIBERCE
and Diana Ross ones!
While your at it will you check the OFFICAL MONSTER THREAD AND PIGS IN SPACE THREAD AND NEED SOME HELP ON PUPPETEER WEBSITES SO PLEASE check it out again cool idea daffyfan!
from
BARRY LEE
PS.CHeck out the on the streets game!
see you next time for PIGS IN SPAAACE!!!!

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
  • "Turn the World Around" - Harry Belafonte (it's just such an amazing song!)
  • "We Got Us" - Dom DeLuise and the "core" Muppets (although the album version w/out Dom is better, IMO)
  • "Don't Fence Me In" - Bob Hope and a horse (a stereophonic horse)
  • "Reach Out And Touch Somebody's Hand" - Diana Ross and the Muppets (and it was Scooter's hand she held!)
  • "Off to See the Wizard" - Alice (Brooke Shields) and the Muppets (This was the Muppets putting on "Alice in Wonderland". You expected things to go well?)
  • "Call Me" - Debbie Harry and the (punked-out) Frog Scouts

-Kim

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Actually, Kim, most of the ones you mentioned are eps that I have on video. I can't believe I forgot to mention some of them.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Connie Stevens- "Some Enchanted Evening" (I just like this one- great look and feel to it)
*Joel Grey- "Razzle Dazzle" (one of the biggest, boldest, most spectacular numbers)
*Paul Williams- "Sad Song" (favorite- sentimental #, great song, wonderful mood to it- sublime)
*Ben Vereen- "Pure Imagination" (great visuals, great song well sung by Vereen)
*Phyllis Diller- "The Entertainer" (I just love the set, and the comical closing was a nice capper for the show)
*Vincent Price- "You've Got a Friend" (one of my favorite #s from the show)
Ethel Merman- "There's No Business Like Show Business" (one of the classics)
Nancy Walker- "They Can't Take That Away From Me" (one of the episode's better moments, good # for Sweetums)
George Burns- "It All Depends On You/You Made Me Love You" (funny, very enjoyable- just a nice number, really)
Elton John- "Don't Go Breaking My Heart"
*Cleo Laine- "If" (gorgeous)
*Bob Hope- "Don't Fence Me In" (delightful)
Julie Andrews- "I Whistle a Happy Tune" (cool monster #)
Peter Sellers- "Cigarettes and Whiskey" (I like the tune)
*Petula Clark- "Tomorrow" (they had to do this # at some point, glad it was in season two; she does it so well)
Alice Cooper- "School's Out" (fun)
Liberace- "Has Anybody Seen My Bird" (nice change of pace to end on)
*James Coco- "Short People"
*Helen Reddy- "We'll Sing in the Sunshine" (fun, catchy, lovely little tune; Helen is a wonderful singer and the camel is loveable; one of my favorites)
Crystal Gayle- "We Must Believe in Magic"
Linda Lavin- "Beyond the Blue Horizon"
*Arlo Guthrie- "Sailing Down My Golden River" (nice sentimental closer)
*Lola Falana- "United We Stand" (great closure for episode, makes you swell with emotion, or something like that)
Anne Murray- "Everything Old is New Again" (maybe not one of the best, I just like the way this one is filmed, with the shot of the audience and full shots of the stage)
*Lynda Carter- "Orange Colored Sky" (fun, nice number)
Andy Williams- "Medley" (this is just a great medley)
*Loretta Swit- "Side By Side" (great ending for this episode)
Joan Baez- "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" (I don't like this episode, but the visuals in various #s are great, esp. this one)
Roger Moore- "Talk to the Animals" (I've seen this one so many times, and I've always liked it)
Jean-Pierre Rampal- "Ease on Down the Road" (some great playing by Jean-Pierre)
*Paul Simon- "Loves Me Like a Rock"
Linda Ronstadt- "When I Grow too Old to Dream"
Melissa Manchester- "Your Cheatin' Heart" (fun)
Gene Kelly- "Medley/Singin' in the Rain" (gotta love it)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Lena Horne --- "Sing!" from SS

I never knew they did this on TMS, and I had never seen Lena's episode until the other night---ya know, I always felt a li'l ":rolleyes: " toward (*says mockingly*) "Lena Horne" (*back to reg'lar Byron voice), but after seein' her episode, she rully belted out "Sing!" in an awesome way with the Muppets. :smile:

And she was actually funny in her talk spot, plus, she got attacked by Animal smashin' her leg with a big mallet (and she screamed rully loud). So ya have to give her some sympathy there.

Lots of other great ones have been mentioned, but I also love:

Florence Henderson --- "So Happy Together" with Muppet monsters

Thijs

Reaction score
It sounds weird, but I always found the closing number the least favourite part of the show.
but ok, the faves:
-John Cleese
-Aznavour: inchworm
-Rita Moreno: fever

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Aw, man! I can't believe I forgot to put "School's Out" by Alice Cooper on my list! Thanks for the reminder, Gorgon :wink:

-Kim

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

I actually forgot to mention the best one: From the Marty Feldman episode: "Moetown," leading in to the Sesame Street theme. That has to be the best of all of them.