Bewitched Week!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
This'll probably be one thread that Dr. Bombay will be reading fer sure!

This week is a celebration of one of my favorite TV shows: Bewitched. All week long, four episodes back-to-back in response to the upcoming movie with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell. This is also to celebrate the show's 40th aniversary....a year late. Of course some people here will tell you one of the highlights of this week is that fact that I'll get to see more of Elizabeth Montgomery. :big_grin:

That Announcer

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
This'll probably be one thread that Dr. Bombay will be reading fer sure!

This week is a celebration of one of my favorite TV shows: Bewitched. All week long, four episodes back-to-back in response to the upcoming movie with Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell. This is also to celebrate the show's 40th aniversary....a year late. Of course some people here will tell you one of the highlights of this week is that fact that I'll get to see more of Elizabeth Montgomery. :big_grin:
Hey- what channel is this on? My grandmother LOVES Bewitched, and I like it quite a bit myself! Of course, I like "Get Smart" more than any '60s show, but that's just me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's on TV Land. I'm not sure if TV Land is in Canada or not, but that's the channel it's on. I'm watching right now, they're getting ready to show the tail-end of "The Pilot".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Boy, talk about a stupid spot, Will Ferrell's favorite Bewitched episode:

"The one where Sam closes the bar, oh no wait, that's Cheers. Uh...the one where Darrin hops his bike". That was stupid!

That Announcer

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
It's on TV Land. I'm not sure if TV Land is in Canada or not, but that's the channel it's on. I'm watching right now, they're getting ready to show the tail-end of "The Pilot".
I've digital cable, so I do get TV Land! Boy, that Max Smart- what a dolt! I'll tell my grandmother about it, she'll probably come over to watch that. Thanks!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just to let you all know, here's the schedule...

MONDAY
8:00 PM-"I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha" Darrin and Samantha marry, and Darrin's ex, Sheila is out to ruin it.
8:30 PM-"It Shouldn't Happen to a Dog" An aggressive clien of Darrin's is trying to make out with Samantha.
9:00 PM-"Help, Help, Don't Save Me" Darrin accuses Samantha of using witchcraft to make his lose an account.
9:30 PM-"Endora Moves In For a Spell" Endora and Uncle Arthur argue about who's moving into the witch-craft produced house at the end of the street.

TUESDAY
8:00 PM-"Double Tate" Endora grants Darrin's wish of being his own boss...literally.
8:30 PM-"Divided He Falls" Endora splits Darrin into two different personalities.
9:00 PM-"Samantha and Darrin in Mexico City" Unfortunately, Dick York's final episode as Darrin Stephens.
9:30 PM-"Samantha and the Beanstalk" Upset of the fact that she'll have a new brother, Tabitha runs away...up the giant's beanstalk.

WEDNESDAY
8:00 PM-"Follow That Witch" A tabloid discovers that Samantha's a witch.
8:30 PM-"Follow That Witch, Part 2" Samantha must meet demands, or Darrin loses his job.
9:00 PM-"Allergic to Macedonian DoDo Birds" As a allergic reaction to Dodo birds, Endora ends up with Aunt Clara's powers.
9:30 PM-"A Plague on Maurice and Samantha"

THURSDAYS
8:00 PM-"Daddy Comes to Visit, Part 1"
8:30 PM-"Darrin the Warlock, Part 2"
9:00 PM-"To Go, Or Not to Go, That's the Question, Part 1"
9:30 PM-"Salem, Here We Come, Part 2"

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yes "Bewitched" was a very well done show. Consistently enjoyable, creative, and funny. I loved that episode you listed about Endora fighting with Uncle Arthur over that house. Near the end Samantha says things have gotten way out of hand and demands that they kiss and make up. Uncle Arthur says (in the hilarious way only Paul Lynde could do) , "Things aren't that desperate!" I always loved when Uncle Arthur was on. And Dr. Bombay laughing at his own jokes. One show had them both on. Uncle Arthur said, "Will you just get on with the diagnosis you nincompoop." Dr. Bombay responds, "I refuse to carry on unless I'm addressed by my proper name." Uncle Arthur says, "Alright, Doctor....Nincompoop! (again, as only Paul Lynde could say the word nincompoop!)
Two of my favorite episodes were: (1) Endora puts a spell on Darrin and everyone who comes to his house to be lazy and not feel like going to work.
Eventually Samantha comes home to see a house full of people (Darrin, Larry Tate, the milkman, etc.) just sitting around in the living room goofing off.
(2) Endora puts a spell on Darrin to be forced to act out any cliches he speaks. So when he says, "I'll keep an ear to the ground" he is thrusted to the floor with his ear against it! And when he says, "I think I'll bow out of here" , he leaves the restaurant by literally taking bows!
While the movie will certainly be far inferior to the 60's show,of course,it will hopefully be pretty fun and enjoyable. I saw a very good movie this evening -"Cinderella Man", but I should post about that on the movie thread.
So long, Derwood! "Saaaaaaaaam!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My favorite episode (which also happens to be Dick York's fave too) is when Darrin annoucnes that he's going to tell the world Samantha's a witch. With that, she puts Darrin under a dream spell, so he would see what life would really be like if the world knew that she was a witch. It also happened to be one of the first episodes I ever saw. A true classic.

MUPPET NEWSFLASH: Although over 35 years later, there is still debate over who was the best Darrin. Details at 11:00!

Ziffel

Reaction score
I vote for the first Darrin, Dick York. I liked Dick Sargent too and thought he was capable, but Dick York made me laugh harder and also showed more anger and frustration to Endora, which added to the appeal (just like Eddie Albert was superb at his annoyed reactions to the loony Hootervillians!).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, my money for Dick York. It's amazing though, the poor guy suffering from a severe back injury, and quit the show, and as his health started to fail, he spent the rest of his life, helping the homeless. That's just amazing, he was great. As for Dick Sargent, he never was my favorite Darrin, but I found him hilarious as the swindling hillbilly lawyer in I Dream of Jeannie.