Bible Study

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
I always have weird thoughts about this stuff -- like Highway to **** (AC/DC); great song, but isn't it blasphemy to sing along and celebrate it?
I don't know. I often watch shows like Family Guy and Robot Chicken which occasionally do jokes about God and Jesus. I'll admit that occasionally I laugh at those bits. I do find it a bit offensive when they make fun of the Crucifixion though. That is a bit too far for me personally. But either way, there have been a few religious jokes on those shows that made me laugh. Is that blasphemy? I've often asked myself that and to be honest, I'm not exactly sure. I do know one thing though:I personally wouldn't make those types of jokes myself. I make jokes about pop culture all the time but religion is where I draw the line. If I was a writer for Family Guy or Robot Chicken, I would refuse to write any religious jokes on the show. But that's just a personal opinion.

EDIT:I'm actually watching Family Guy right now and ironically they just showed a clip of Jesus at a party saying "I am going to turn water into funk!" and then he started disco dancing . That one made me laugh quite a bit. I stand by the opinion that occasionally they go too far however.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think it comes down to some that is between you and God, if he touches you and then act on that.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I always have weird thoughts about this stuff -- like Highway to **** (AC/DC); great song, but isn't it blasphemy to sing along and celebrate it?
It’s a song about life on the road and how hellish it becomes. As much as people say it’s about wanting to be one with the devil, at the end of the day it’s just one big metaphor written by a bunch of dudes who were getting sick of touring and somehow ended up getting bigger because of it.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
The parable of the sower or farmer found in Matthew 13 verses 1 thru 23.

1. The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.

20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it;

21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.

22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
There shouldn’t be any reason. I don’t know how someone can defend a passage that details how a father says, “Here, rape my daughters.” That’s morally disgusting and completely messed up.
Fantastic that no one is responding to this. Am I right or do you just not have an argument against it?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Proverbs 4 (King James Version)

Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
For I was my father's son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Fantastic that no one is responding to this. Am I right or do you just not have an argument against it?
No your right it was morally disgusting and wrong. I do not fully understand Lot or why God chose to bring him out of Sodom or why in the book of Hebrews he is called a just man. Despite his actions God must have seen something in Lot, but what that was I don't know.

It's been a while since I read up on Lot, so there may be something I'm missing as well.

Last edited:

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Oh I see, you’re looking at it as if the person is bad and not the Book itself.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Yes, because I believe that Lot was a real person that lived on this earth a long time ago. I also stated a few posts ago that God gave us a free will. Which means we are not all God's robots and do exactly everything he wants or tells us to do. Which can be taken even further back to Adam and Eve. God told them not to do something and they did it anyways.
Since the beginning of time there has been a battle of Good (God) vs. Evil (Satan). Satan has tried to destroy God and get his praise for himself.
So, no I do not not think the Bible is bad because of what Lot did. I do not agree with what Lot did, and if you read all of Genesis 19 his two daughters were about as messed up as he was, but I still believe the Bible is God's Word.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
If God gives each of us free will, then why should one person impose on the free will of two other people by giving them up to a maddened crowd to be raped?