Big Bird and Oscar on The Colbert Report

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This wasn't announced, but the episode of The Colbert Report for September 26 2013 featured surprise guest appearances by :wisdom: and :grouchy: as part of Stephen's new triumphantly returning never-been-aired before debate show, Pointless Counterpointless. He served as moderator to keep things from getting to moderate, to which he basically ended up blowing up in a Kermit-style Frogcon 5 meltdown. He wanted to debate the letter S, saying that people were getting upset it looked like a scary snake. Both Big and Oscar agreed on liking the letter. Stephen wanted Oscar to talk trash, leading into a brief chorus of his signature song which I cheered loudly. Stephen then got angry, to which Oscar countered with the fact he was grouchy, a perfectly subtle emotion. No, he wants you to argue! :wisdom: No! What? You wanted me to argue. Not with me, with him! *Points at :grouchy:

Oh, the entire thing was just so vonderful! Catch it when it repeats tomorrow on Comedy Central or search for it on youtube or Hulu or whatever service you kids use nowadays.

BTW: If another mod/staffer decides to move this into another existing thread I fully understand, the Search feature just doesn't work the way it should. :grouchy:

SSLFan

Reaction score
Were they both played by Carroll or did Matt do Big Bird and Carroll performed Oscar?

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
Just caught a repeat of the episode. Carroll Spinney performed Big Bird live, and two other puppeteers manipulated Oscar to a pre-recorded voice by Carroll.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
That may be hard to do in a live interview, but I'll check it out when I get a chance.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was neat. Oscar's "emotional distinction" line was great. I think Joey was puppeteering him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
... and that, my friends, is why they won 2 Emmys.