Big Bird changes his diet.

Xerus

Reaction score
Anyone remember this episode from the late 70's?

Big Bird decides he's tired of eating birdseed and wants to try something else to eat. He goes around and asks different birds what they like.

First he meets an early bird who likes worms. Big Bird decides to go out and eat a worm. He finds one, but discovers it was Slimey. Oscar appears and yells at Big Bird for bothering his worm and he takes Slimey away.

Big Bird then meets a woodpecker who eats bugs by pecking on wood. Big Bird tries to peck on a tree, but ends up hurting his beak.

Big Bird then meets a pelican who suggests he eats fish. Big Bird discovers Luis bringing out a fishbowl with his pet goldfish in it. Big Bird gets nervous and runs away. After that, Big Bird just decides to go back to birdseed.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
So Big Bird did try to eat Slimey once? That's interesting, because I've often thought about that, but I didn't think it even happened. Maybe they should have made that a running gag on the show.

Censored

Reaction score
That sounds like a very interesting one. I also remember a skit where Oscar lost Slimey; Grover tries to give Oscar a new pet. First Grover tries to be a pet himself by dressing up like different animals. Then he decides to catch a pet fish for Oscar. So, he comes by with a fishing pole and a worm, and yes, that worm was Slimey. Oscar sees Slimey, takes him back and everyone is happy (well, as happy as a grouch can be anyway).

Censored

Reaction score
You know, the title of this thread actually scared me a little. I thought the powers-that-be might have decided that it was a bad influence for kids to see Big Bird eating only birdseed, so they were going to force him to eat a well balanced diet, just like they did with Cookie Monster. Hey, now a days, you never know. LOL

Ziffel

Reaction score
So they walked and walked and walked and...

I don't remember this one Xerus described with Big Bird tired of eating birdseed. Being it was late 70's it was probably just after I stopped watching SS regularly. I wanted to mention, however, a Big Bird memory I have from about 1974 or 5. At the beginning of the show Big Bird is on Sesame Street and is going to tell a story. A lot of people, both adults and children, are in attendance. I think he says there was a boy or a girl who decided to go for a walk. Then he says, "And he/she walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked..." I remember Gordon saying, "Uh, Big Bird.." But Big Bird kept saying. "walked and walked and walked..." Throughout the show (in between the skits and films, etc.) they would come back to SS and Big Bird is still saying the same thing and everyone is really getting bored. At the end of the show with everyone so bored that they are asleep or close to it, Big Bird finally says something new. He says something like, "...walked and walked and walked. And then he/she met another boy/girl on the road." When he said this everyone suddenly perks up and is excited and starts cheering. But Big Bird's next line is, "He/She asked him/her, 'What would you like to do? He/She says , 'How about we go for a walk?' So they walked and walked and walked and walked.." Then everyone groans and moans!
Probably not too many would recall this one since it wouldn't have been recurring like the skits and sketches and films and cartoons, etc.