Big Bird Green Screen

Ventrilotwist

Reaction score
So I stayed home sick from work today and finally got a chance to watch Sesame Street for the first time in a while. I think big bird changes were mentioned in another post that I couldn't find. I believe I had read that Caroll Spinney's eventual replacement does Big Bird in the green (or blue) screen parts, is this true? The obvious voice difference bothered me.

On a separate note I noticed added movement to Big Bird's right arm in street scenes. Any one know how they did this? It's minimal so I'm assuming they used a line attached to another part of Big Bird's body. Also, anyone know how they do the full dual arm movement in the green screen parts? This is all stuff that interests me.

One final thing, has the curve in Big Bird's neck (from the Muppeteer's arm) always been so noticible? I really noticed it in the street scenes and was wondering if this is how it's always been or possibly a result of Spinney's aging?

Sorry, never analyzed the show so much until I found this forum. Thanks in advance for your replies!

EDIT: Also, does anyone know of any good web sites that divulge the secrets of some of the more complex muppets?

BEAR

Reaction score
I believe Big Bird has always had some what of a curve in his neck. It is not always there, but sometimes.