Big Bird's Birthday

Gonzo14

Reaction score
was the Big Bird's Birthday special filmed after Jim Hensn died?, I know it aired in 1991. I remember seeing Bert and Ernie, but I don't remember if they talked.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
This special was taped after Jim Henson died. The only scene Ernie and Bert had in this special was briefly at the skating party. Ernie was skating kind of fast and Bert was trying to catch up behind him. Bert shouted "Ernie!" and that was it. Ernie didn't talk because at this point Steve wasn't performing him yet, so he had no performer. I remember watching this as a 9 year old and feeling rather sad that Ernie didn't talk, and knowing the reason why he didn't talk. I think this special could have been much better if Ernie talked and him and Bert had a big scene of their own. Similar to how they had one in Don't Eat the Pictures and Follow that Bird.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I remember that, Cookie Monster tries so hard not to eat the birthday cake, that he ends up eating all of Sesame Street instead!

"I can't believe Cookie Monster ate the tables...and the chairs!"
"And...and Sesame Street!"
"Well, he didn't really eat everything. He just nibbled!"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I have that special on tape! Great stuff as a matter of fact, I loved the celebrity version of Monster in the Mirror, and yeah Cookie Monster eating almost all of Sesame Street to keep himself from eating Big Bird's birthday cake.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Big Bird's birthday was special for me. I was going to school at that time and hadn't watched Sesame Street in years. Seeing all the characters again was like saying hello to old friends. :smile: All my friends thought it was a little odd that I had watched Sesame Street, but to me, it seemed natural to check up again.

Oh and I remember the break for PBS' pledging. The announcer said, "There's still that cake to eat, if Cookie Monster doesn't get to it first!" Ever notice how PBS was always giving away Sesam Street plush toys and Big Bird tote bags as rewards for pledging?! lol

minor muppetz

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
This special was taped after Jim Henson died. The only scene Ernie and Bert had in this special was briefly at the skating party. Ernie was skating kind of fast and Bert was trying to catch up behind him. Bert shouted "Ernie!" and that was it. Ernie didn't talk because at this point Steve wasn't performing him yet, so he had no performer. I remember watching this as a 9 year old and feeling rather sad that Ernie didn't talk, and knowing the reason why he didn't talk. I think this special could have been much better if Ernie talked and him and Bert had a big scene of their own. Similar to how they had one in Don't Eat the Pictures and Follow that Bird.
Does this special have any segments with Ernie, Kermit, or Guy Smiley?

I wonder why this special has never been released on video. It's one of the few post-1990 specials to not have a video release.

BEAR

Reaction score
heralde said:
Big Bird's birthday was special for me. I was going to school at that time and hadn't watched Sesame Street in years. Seeing all the characters again was like saying hello to old friends. :smile: All my friends thought it was a little odd that I had watched Sesame Street, but to me, it seemed natural to check up again.
Many of us can relate to that. Including myself. Though I have been able to do more checking up lately than in recent years. Itis important.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
What I really liked in the special was Snuffy being afraid to roller skate. He was so cute!

Big Bird: "Why, just look at Alice! She doesn't seem to mind falling down!

Snuffy: "She is a lot closer to the ground than I am, Bird! Everybody's a lot closer to the ground!"

Big Bird: "Well, I'm not, Snuffy."

Snuffy: "But you know how to skate, Bird."

Big Bird: "And so will you if you let me teach you!"

Snuffy: "Oh right, I never thought of it that way, Bird!"

Hmm, I can't remember if Ernie, Guy Smiley and Kermit were in it. It's been a long time. But nothing is jumping out at me, so maybe not. I do remember Forgetful Jones trying to wish Big Bird happy birthday and forgetting the "birthday" part.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
heralde said:
Oh and I remember the break for PBS' pledging. The announcer said, "There's still that cake to eat, if Cookie Monster doesn't get to it first!" Ever notice how PBS was always giving away Sesam Street plush toys and Big Bird tote bags as rewards for pledging?! lol
My PBS didn't do that, they were just being exciting about Big Bird's birthday as well.

Anyway, they haven't ever gived away plush toys of tote bags, they always give away t-shirts, circus tickets, and Chick-Fil-A coupons.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That's interesting, I didn't know different stations gave away different things. Though, the toys and bag were from several years ago. They may have changed what they give away now.