Big Bird's Voice?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Okay ... I am watching the end of SS now, and Big Bird suddenly sounds different!

Did he finally hit puberty or something? :smile: His voice is obviously lower. Where is Carroll Spinney?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
It could be Matt Vogel . I think he's the one that does Big Bird, but i only thought it was for the J to Erine skits, i don't know much on this subject.

Zack)Rowlf the, i don't know much on this subject, Dog.:smile:

somethingofafan

Reaction score
And, being 69 years old, he still performs Big Bird, except in the Journey to Ernie segments (where Matt Vogel takes the role).

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Correction: it was during a skit in the middle of SS, not the end. It is very wierd to suddenly hear Big Bird's voice lowered; I wonder if many younger children watching the show notice it much.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yep. It's Matt Vogel in JTE. I watched that segment the other day. I think that voice sounds almost exactly like the voice Carroll used to do for Big Bird in the first season. (See what all you learn from listening to Muppet Central Radio. Lol.)

scarecroe

Reaction score
Matt's been spotted doing some street scenes as well where he sounds even more like Caroll thanks to the material contrast from JTE.

ssetta

Reaction score
He does a little bit sound like the old Big Bird. But Matt Vogel's voice I can't stand. But I think the reason why Caroll changed his voice in 2 years is because people couldn't stand Big Bird's old voice. To be honest, I thought he kind of sounded like Barney!

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know if I can ever get used to this "new" Big Bird. His voice is just too strange. And if Carroll retires or, God forbid, dies, will Matt take over? I bet there are tons of other voice actors/pupeteers out there who'd be better suited. No offense to Vogel; he just doesn't fit the bill.