Big Comfy Couch Resumes Production

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
More puppet TV News from Canada:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

September 3, 2002

SHEEP SHOP BEGINS PRE-PRODUCTION ON NEW SEASON OF THE BIG COMFY COUCH.

Toronto based puppet and production design company, the Sheep Shop, has begun pre-production on a new season of the award winning children's series The Big Comfy Couch. Shooting is slated to begin in October.

Re-creating the original designs is an exciting challenge for the staff of the Sheep Shop. "It's been six years," says Sheep Shop founder, Rob Mills, "but fortunately we were the ones responsible for the original designs and building on previous seasons. We've done a lot of research in our own archives to match the look and feel of the whole show. A new couch is just part of what needs to be done."

The new season brings back the original cast of goofy clown and puppet characters, including Loonette (Alyson Court), Major Bedhead (Fred Stinson), Granny Garbanzo (Grindl Kuchirka), Molly the doll (Bob Stutt) and those irrepressible Dustbunnies: Fuzzy and Wuzzy. The Gemini award winning pre-school series airs on YTV / Treehouse in Canada and on PBS affiliates in the U.S.

"On Comfy Couch we're continuing our work with Radical Sheep by providing one-stop shopping for not only puppets but also props, wardrobe, body-costumes, miniatures, and over-all production design." explains Karen Valleau, head of design for the Shop, "It's an effective way to co-ordinate the work of various departments under one roof and maintain a consistent design aesthetic that runs through the entire show."

The Sheep Shop, originally part of Radical Sheep Productions, was spun off last year as a stand alone enterprise with the same core group of creative designers, builders and performers. While Radical Sheep remains one of the Sheep Shop's key clients, the Sheep Shop also provides their services to many other production companies and broadcasters.

"We do wardrobe for people, puppets, huge body costumes. The body costumes themselves are real feats of engineering.", says Jane Edmondson, the Shop's head of wardrobe design, "I love this place. Where else do you get to make period costumes for chickens and bears?"

The Sheep Shop has been providing its design and puppetry services to the industry since 1985, with outstanding work on such children's series as Zoboomafoo (Cinar/PBS), Ruffus The Dog (Radical Sheep), Longhouse Tales (Catalyst), and The Biddles (YTV).

CaptCrouton

Reaction score
Hooray! What a great show. I always liked Loonette and I'm glad they've retained the original cast.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
OK, but you have to love those dustbunnies Fuzzy and Wuzzy - I have the plush versions on my desk at home - they're adorable! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with the fellow W lover, just not as harshly, I never really cared much for the show, but my sister used to love it. But it's just nice that they can get back to work.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
Dust Bunnies make me laugh my ***** off!!! but the rest of the show is just annoying.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by punkNpuppets
Dust Bunnies make me laugh my ***** off!!! but the rest of the show is just annoying.
Even if there's a show that one hates, one must not necisarrily hate ALL the characters. Dust Bunnies Rock!!!