Big News For Me!

Frogster

Reaction score
Today I got some news that I've been waiting to hear since I could possibly remember... before I tell you all what it is, I should tell ya that when I was born, I was born with a crooked bottom jaw and without a right ear. Since the age of 13, I, along with my family, have been searching out a doctor who can handle this case. I know there's plenty of ear surgeons out there, but due to some complications after trying to have surgery on my missing ear when I was six, we had to wait for quite some time to see if there was a doctor out there who could work around the complication. We found one over a year and a half ago in St. Louis, MO, and he told me I should have on braces before I actually go through the surgery for at least a couple years. Well my teeth moved faster than planned, since I got them on towards the end of Sept. last year, and I found out today that my reconstructive ear-and-jaw surgery is going to be June 1st.
How this surgery will work is, they are going to inject bone-marrow tissue into my jawbone, which will be to loosen it up. Then, they are putting a car jack device on the right side, inside my mouth, so when they turn the lever or whatever it is, it'll move more and more to the left side to straighten it out. For my ear, they are going to make a cast of my left ear and make a cast out of it, then do a reflection immagry of it, so my new right ear will look almost exactly like my left. I'll be in the hospital for a while, up to about a week, then I'll have to make trips up to St. Louis every month for about six months. I'm really excited about it! And today was our last day of the semester here at the college, so what better way to end the year than to finally have a set date? Since I'll be staying up there, I'll bring some Muppet Show episodes with me to watch. What sucks is that I won't be able to speak for two weeks and I prolly won't be able to eat hard foods like steak and apples till the end of the summer. But hey, it'll all be worth it in the end. Oh, and I'll definitely make sure to bring up my very first Kermit, who's been with me in almost every surgery I've ever had.

superfan

Reaction score
That's great news! Please keep us posted on everything!
It's what you've wanted for so long.
What a great early Christmas present!
:smile:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that everything is going to work out for you! Sounds like quite the operation, but it also sounds like you're prepared for it. You'll definately have to keep us up to date as it gets closer to June!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow. Congrats on finally getting your surgery done. I'm glad you're so excited! That's really good news.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
This is awesome news Luke! I'm so happy for you! I hope all goes well! :smile:

froggiegirl18

Reaction score
That is great news! It just sounds really really painful but as long as you'll be happy after it is all over with then the short pain you have to go through will be will be worth it. Gee about not having a right ear and here I was complaining about my left ear sticking out more than my right. Wow that's really neat with how they are going to do that about the casts thing. Hmm I know this may sound idiotic but can you hear out of that side? Just curious.

F

furryredmonster

Wow.. that would be such a wonderful Christmas present!! Good Luck!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Wonderful news, buddy! I'm happy for you!!

And you still have my number, so call when you get ready to!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Hey, Luke, that is fabulous news. I'm sure everything will turn out just right. If you want to trade surgery stories sometime, you can private message me!

Earl