Bill Barretta

jaap

Reaction score
I really like the fact that Bill Barretta has become one of the main puppeteers.
I was just wondering how Bill was able to get all these new characters for "the muppets tonight"? From imdb I can see he was relatively new to the Jim Henson Company, but some how was able to establish himself as inspirator of Johnny Fiama/Pepe the Prawn/ Big Mean Carl/Bobo the Bear David Hoggselhoff etc.

Furthermore, I really liked his performances of the swedish chef and dr Teeth in mwoO, and i hope he will performe those (and rowlf) more often!

Jaap

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill began working with the Muppets on Dinosaurs in 1990. And he and Brian had been friends for years previously as they met in the early eighties while working at Sesame Place. So the friendships between Johnny (Bill) and Sal (Brian) are real.

At the heart of what we all love about the Muppets is the relationship between the characters. And when those relationships stem from real friendships it can make the best performances.

GregJ

Reaction score
Bill Baretta..

I met Bill briefly on the set of 'Muppets From Space,' he seemed to be a very nice guy. I was a background puppeteer on the film. He & Brian are pals. Pepe is a funny character & so is Bobo the bear. I'm not crazy about Bill's versions of Rowlf or Dr. Teeth, though. John Kennedy can do dead-on versions of those two, he should be performing them in my opinion. But then, who cares what I think, anyway?

GregJ

Reaction score
LOL..! Thanks! Guess I'm not the only John Kennedy fan here.

No offense to Bill by the way, it's just that I think different puppeteers are better for certain characters. Pepe & BoBo are both awesome in my opinion!

That Announcer

Reaction score
GregJ said:
LOL..! Thanks! Guess I'm not the only John Kennedy fan here.

No offense to Bill by the way, it's just that I think different puppeteers are better for certain characters. Pepe & BoBo are both awesome in my opinion!
Right on both counts. I loved John's Angel Marie in MWoO. Funniest line in the movie was the "topped it off with a hose" bit.

I so do love Bobo. I have a hard time choosing which Bill character I like best- Bobo? Johnny? Pepe? Zippity-Zap? Hmmm...

Have to say a tie between Bobo & Johnny.

Xerus

Reaction score
The first time I heard Bill talk was in The Animal Show. He did Armstrong the Chicken Hawk. And he did over 40 or 50 guest animals on the show. And he sang lots of great songs on there too.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Going ever so slightly off topic; what positions did Brian and Bill hold at Sesame Place, around what time period did they work there, and how often or how much did Jim visit the place?

That Announcer

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Going ever so slightly off topic; what positions did Brian and Bill hold at Sesame Place, around what time period did they work there, and how often or how much did Jim visit the place?
It's a little embarassing really... supposedly Brian and Bill were cleaning toilets when they met!

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yea you know that really says somthing about Brian though he is JIM HENSON's son whats he doing cleaning tolits. I really admer him for it if that story is true.