Bill Murray voicing Garfield

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Of course, Bill Murray must have thought it was a good script if he signed on.
murray has done some bad movies over the years that he must have thought were good scripts like "the man who knew too little" and "larger than life"......

i don't like the idea of having a computer generated garfield while the rest of the animals are real one....that's a not a good idea.........

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
murray has done some bad movies over the years that he must have thought were good scripts like "the man who knew too little" and "larger than life"......
Don't forget Charlie's Angels. (Here it comes now! LOL!)

i don't like the idea of having a computer generated garfield while the rest of the animals are real one....that's a not a good idea.........
You are 100-and-a-half% correct, sir!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Where did anyone see that Odie and Nermal are going to be played by real animals? That's nowhere in either of the articles I've posted. If someone has more news, please post the new article.

I respectfully disagree with those who hated the Scooby movie. The movie I hated was the Flinstones movie with John Goodman. Not only was the movie unfunny, but it was so close to the original cartoon, including the elements that hadn't dated so well, that it killed my love for the original cartoon at the same time! Scooby, on the other hand, went for the "Brady Bunch movie" route: acknowledging the cheesier elements of the show with tongue firmly in cheek, while showing affection towards the characters and actually giving the full ensemble something to do for a change. (Ever notice in the original cartoon that Daphne doesn't ever really DO anything?) Yeah, the characters were mad at each other at the beginning, but that's simple dramatic conflict. (It also explains all those shows we saw over the years that were just Scooby and Shaggy without the rest of the gang.) And sure enough, the group reunited for the climax. Also, I've never been a fan of Scrappy; he's always been the "Jar Jar" of the Scooby universe for me. So I thought the ending was quite funny.

As for the CGI Scooby, I didn't mean to imply he was great. But while my initial reaction to seeing Scooby in the advertisements was "Oh, ick! That's horrible," I was able to accept him better within the context of the movie. I can't see how the makers of Garfield expect to do better than that when they're going for that same strange mix.

All of the characters in Garfield are very stylized, so I don't see how they can make them look at all "realistic." They should either be all animated (except for the backgrounds and a live actor playing Jon). And whether traditionally animated or CGI, an eye should be kept towards keeping the distinctive visual style of the comic strip. These characters weren't meant to exist in reality. Unfortunately, that's what the film's makers seem to be doing. Let's hope it looks better than we think.

Did anyone see the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie? I missed that one. Didn't they use CGI for that? How did everyone think that looked?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I liked the Flintstones because it WAS true to the cartoon, a reason many I talk to didn't like it.

The best part of the Scooby movie was the beginning--it was true to the cartoon all the way while they were on the case and it totally worked for me.

I think you can take the look of the cartoons and paint them up in CGI and give them fur and such and make them look real...well, as real as cartoons can get. After all, you can't even tell where Frogboy did computer work on some of the characters atop our fine forum, but I can see some.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I too liked the Flintstones because it was true to the cartoon. And, the only part of the Scooby Doo movie that I really liked was Scrappy Doo's part. (And why wasn't the movie called Scooby Dooby Doo??? And why was Scrappy Doo's middle name "Cornelius" instead of the original Scrappy DAPPY Doo??? Grrrr!)

Originally posted by Chilly Down

Did anyone see the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie? I missed that one. Didn't they use CGI for that? How did everyone think that looked?
Unlike most people, I liked the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie. They did with the characters what I was hopping they'd do with Scooby, and what I hope they do with Garfield. They were CGI versions of the cartoons. Not CGI Moose and Squirrel. They looked really great. 3D cartoons.

The only part I really didn't like about that movie was the "teenage" detective girl. It seemed like it was HER movie rather than Rocky and Bullwinkle's. But, I absolutely loved Robert DeNiro, Rene Russo, and Jason Alexander as the bad guys. They were funny!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
(And why wasn't the movie called Scooby Dooby Doo??? And why was Scrappy Doo's middle name "Cornelius" instead of the original Scrappy DAPPY Doo??? Grrrr!)

Umm, none of the TV shows have ever been called "Scooby Dooby Doo." Why hold that against the movie? And I believe the "Cornelius" thing was just a joke.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
The title wasn't the problem. I just didn't like Scooby Doo. I never liked the cartoon, and I didn't like the movie. If they made a Jabberjaw movie, it most likely would be the same thing (although that would be neat to see...).

But, for some reason, I did like Josie and the Pussycats... the movie... I don't know why... :flirt:

Anyway, before I change this to a cartoons that have been made into movies thread, let's get back on topic.

I think Garfield should be pretty neat. Hopefully. It'd be kinda fun to see them make it EXACTLY like the comic strip, just wiht live actors. You know, the very basic camera shots, and make it wiht cartoon backgrounds. That'd be funny! I also hope they keep in all the spontenuity (I know I didn't spell that right) of the comic. The best thing in the comic is when Jon does something totally insane like wearing all his ties at once, or whatnot...

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I was embarrassed to be in the theater of the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie. Loved the characters, the animation was good, but the movie bit. That screenplay could have been written by anyone.

The first Flintstones movie was mildly enjoyable. Fat Betty kind of irritated me, but Rosie made it work. Didn't see the sequel. I might catch it on cable some day.

Space Jam has got to be the hands-down worse big budget animated film. The voices all sound terrible. I have friends who can do better impressions. The genius of Mel Blanc is hard to duplicate.

Jordan had no credibility. He never seemed to be looking at the characters. He was looking through them. The script was a turkey. The animation seemed too CGI. I felt this film was an insult to any fan of the classic Warner Brothers cartoons. They should have consulted Chuck Jones. He wanted to help out, but the producers didn't much care what the creator of half the characters had to say. I just don't get why it made as much as it did.

The reason I mention Space Jam is that they are now promoting the new Looney Toons film. Of course, they chose actors whose careers are in oblivion (Brenden "will do any film for money" Frazier and Jenna Elfman) but it also stars Steve Martin. He's toon-worthy. I just hope this isn't another Jam. The director is the same dude that made Gremlins 2 so I'm not too jazzed. Guess I'm just a purist.

The truth is, most of these films just shouldn't be made, but the license-holders are greedy. :mad:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
*stands into bright light*

I am the one who posted that I heard Odie and Nermal were to be real animals, but I only heard it, on the radio, so I have no article to post....sorry......of course the DJ dude could have been wrong!

Sarah

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I don't listen to DJ's too much about speculative items since the Ernie and Bert fiasco years ago. :stick_out_tongue: :frown:

The animation was good in Space Jam, but I think the story sucked. Why did they do such a 'timed' piece like that? Michael Jordan? He's not that popular anymore, except by those who keep saying, "OH NO! He's retiring! Again!" He makes me sick. Why not do a whole story based around the characters who ARE important??

Just like Rocky and Bullwinkle, never saw it but it was more about the kid than them??