1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Billy Barkhurst

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by SpinneyBigBird1, Dec 12, 2014.

1. SpinneyBigBird1

SpinneyBigBird1 Active Member

I'm pretty sure we can qualify Billy Barkhurst as the new performer of Ernie now.

In just the few months since he made his first appearance on the show, Ernie has done more than the past five years combined. He sang a line at the Macy's parade, has participated in Vines for the show, has had two street stories in one season, and appeared (with Barkhurst as the puppeteer) with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas show.

I think the show is really trying to re-integrate Ernie back into to main cast of characters, and Barkhurst is really helping with that.

[​IMG]

2. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

You attended the Mormon Tabernacle concerts? Would you be able to provide MUP3's of the songs sung by the Muppet characters present at the concert? If so, please LMK as I can then send them to Phil for MCR's merry-thon. Thanks and happy holidays.

3. SpinneyBigBird1

Unfortunately, I did not go. I saw the images online.

4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well Ernie was one of the first Muppets on Sesame, and he has such a rich personality that it is no wonder they want to bring him back to the spotlight more.

Duke Remington likes this.
  5. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Looking at that picture, I must ask, is Billy left-handed, or is that a "reversed image"?

I've only seen one clip of his Ernie (the "Change the Plan" song), and I must say his Ernie sounds a bit more like Jim's Ernie.

6. SpinneyBigBird1

Oh, I didn't even notice that. He must be a lefty, because I'm fairly certain John Kennedy is right-handed.

7. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I can't believe I didn't think about the fact that the image had another performer performing a character as well.

8. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I too would want to think that Billy is officially the new Ernie performer. If Steve is too busy with Disney, it makes perfect sense that he stops performing Ernie for as long as he needs, especially since that's the only character he has on SS.

Regarding that picture in the first post of this thread, who's that man performing Bert? Obviously it's not Eric, but just someone I've never seen before. I hope this is not a foreshadowing to him leaving the show (or the Muppets all together) anytime soon.

9. SpinneyBigBird1

Let's not jump to any conclusions.

I'm pretty sure Eric was there performing Grover so John Kennedy was puppeteering Bert while Eric couldn't.

10. sesamemuppetfan

@SpinneyBigBird1 Yeah, forget what I said. I did find a video on YouTube with clips from the concert, and Eric was indeed providing the voice of Bert.

11. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Could you share those links? I don't wanna wait until next Christmas to see it.

12. WalterLinz

WalterLinz Well-Known Member

I see Billy is doing quite well with Ernie.:) His Ernie voice sounds more like Jim's. I'm so happy that characters like Bert and Ernie are back in the limelight on SS, and Billy's doing a wonderful job as an understudy (is he?) for Steve.:)

13. sesamemuppetfan

Here it is, however, it's mostly interview type stuff! But, at least we get to hear the great hysterical exchange between Grover, Ernie, and Bert about the appearance of Santino Fontana!

14. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  15. sesamemuppetfan

@antsamthompson9 Yup, I FINALLY made time earlier today to watch the 4/3/2/1 day countdown videos! (I already watched the 5 day count when it was originally posted)

16. dwayne1115

Wow Billy dose sound closer to Jim, it's almost unreal.

17. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

wow he is starting to sound more like jim

Duke Remington and WalterLinz like this.
  18. SpinneyBigBird1

It is important to note that Steve is no longer listed as a Muppeteer on the Sesame Street Season 45 Press Kit. He was listed in season 44. Billy isn't specifically listed there, but it should be important to realize that Steve isn't there anymore.

19. sesamemuppetfan

Right, and as long as he's not being listed in the credits either, it's fair to assume that Steve probably won't be coming back anytime soon. The same applies to Frank.

20. dwayne1115

Ya know everyone is wanting this big huge drama thing of "Oh my gosh Steve is not in the Sesame Credits!" and "Oh my Gosh Steve is not working on Sesame anymore!" However my thinking on this is, Who really cares?!?!? With Steve preforming Ernie whether it was due to the writing, or Steve's availability Ernie's presence on the show was becoming less and less as the years went on. Now it seems that Sesame want to have Ernie (Who is a fan favorite of a lot of adults who grew up with the show) in the spotlight more. For that reason they have Billy, who is doing great with Ernie's voice, and personality. So I honestly think that instead of focusing on the negative and the drama that is clearly not there of Steve performing on the show, and be happy that we have one of the first and one of the most beloved Sesame Muppets back in the spotlight. I honestly don't think Ernie has been in the spot light this much since Jim's death, and for that I'm very glad.