1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Billy Barkhurst

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by SpinneyBigBird1, Dec 12, 2014.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Wasn't it discussed just recently that the reason we see so much less of E&B on the show now is because kids today find them "too boring" because their sketches are mostly dialogue-based, and contain very little action or physical humor?

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Well, if the writers know how to write short Muppets segments, and they know how to write 10 minute street scenes with Ernie and Bert on them, then they should be able to write a short sketch with Ernie and Bert.

3. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I don't really follow anything Sesame Street, but I did happen to catch a video on Facebook and was surprised to hear someone other than Steve performing Ernie!

But this guy does a really good job, and I guess Steve is busy with main Muppet stuff, so it all works out pretty well.

4. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Thread bump. Is Billy no longer with SS? Because I just looked at the Character recasts page on the Wiki, and I noticed that Peter has taken over Ernie. I know he recently performed him in the "Name that Animal" video that was uploaded a week ago, but I figured that Billy couldn't make in that day and Peter was just substituting for him.

So, if anybody knows what's up, please fill me in- my curiosity is super piqued!

5. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Yeah basically Peter Linz took over as Ernie this year starting with the annual Gala, I really don't know what happened to Billy but, oh well.

6. Pig's Laundry

@Antsamthompson talked to Peter on Twitter, and he confirmed that he is the new Ernie.

Wow...never thought this thread would become obsolete so quickly.
    Anyway, as has been said elsewhere, hopefully Billy gets more to do on the show in the future, assuming he hasn't been completely let go.

7. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

He has been completely let go, from what I understand.

8. Pig's Laundry

Oh, well that's a shame. While I do wonder what happened I don't really want to know because if I knew it may hinder my enjoyment of the character. I just hope he left on good terms with the other cast and crew.

9. D'Snowth

Wow, he came and went quickly.

10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

To be fair, he was really just a voice-over artist.

11. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

From what i saw Billy wasn't that good and Peter is already better after only seeing that video

LittleJerry92 likes this.
  12. Pig's Laundry

But he was a puppeteer too. I think he had been working as a background performer since 2009. Still, probably not the best idea to have a pretty inexperienced performer quickly take on such a major character.

13. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Billy as Ernie sounds like Ernie as a serious businessman. At least Peter tried making his sound like Steve.

14. Schfifty

Schfifty Well-Known Member

Here's a big question: if Billy's not doing Ernie anymore, couldn't he do work for the actual Muppets? His current list of credits on the Wiki only have Sesame stuff, and with his few years experience as Ernie, you suppose he'd somewhat be a successor to one of Steve's characters, since he took over from Steve as Ernie, you know?

15. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

That's not a bad idea. I thought Billy did a fair job as Ernie. Like I mentioned on the other thread, I'm not too big on the idea of Matt doing Kermit since he sort of already has his hands full with Jerry's characters. It would be nice to see what Billy can do with :).

16. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Billy as Kermit?

Maybe. Just.... Maybe.

17. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

In the immortal words of Scooby-Doo, "Rit's a rossarility."

MikaelaMuppet and LittleJerry92 like this.
  18. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I see. Well, it looks like Peter officially has 2 main characters on the show now!

19. D'Snowth

Who's Peter's other main character?

20. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Herry Monster.