Billy Barkhurst

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
They should have called me! Lol! As a father of 2, (soon to be 3), I couldn't be a muppeteer right now but I man...I'd rock as Ernie. I was born in 1980 and grew up with Jim's Ernie and that's where my heart will always lie. Heck, I'd be worth the salary as I also do a great Grover and Kermit and an 80's based Cookie Monster.

I thought about almost selling my Ernie once upon a time and quickly did this video:

I also did this last X-Mas:

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Probably not and also it's Sesame Workshop decision to choose a performer for the character not the fans.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
They should have called me! Lol! As a father of 2, (soon to be 3), I couldn't be a muppeteer right now but I man...I'd rock as Ernie. I was born in 1980 and grew up with Jim's Ernie and that's where my heart will always lie. Heck, I'd be worth the salary as I also do a great Grover and Kermit and an 80's based Cookie Monster.

I thought about almost selling my Ernie once upon a time and quickly did this video:

I also did this last X-Mas:

Wow! It seems like you really nailed Jim's characters. I especially liked that Animal solo at the end of the Frosty song. :halo:

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Wow! It seems like you really nailed Jim's characters. I especially liked that Animal solo at the end of the Frosty song. :halo:

Thanks! I really only discovered it a few recent years back. I've always been a fan. What really helped to nail it down was listening to the records with my first child. For a while, i could do Ernie but had trouble with Kermit...the two are so similar but there are key differences. I can do both now with ease. I will eventually upload a video where I sang 'bein'green' as Kermit with a live pianists. I was there performing with my original puppet characters and since it was a fundraiser, I decided to have Kermit be a special guest. I am extremely proud of it and will eventually share it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah. I wondered about that too, the key differences in similar type voices, I mean. (Ex: Kermit - Ernie, Bert - Fozzie, Rowlf - Dr. Teeth, Grover - Piggy, though I have to admit Eric's Piggy tends to sound like Grover more regularly, Frank's Piggy only sounded like Grover when she got excited or whatever.) As for Kermit vs. Ernie that has been one noticeable thing with Steve's Ernie, sometimes he had him sound more like Kermit than he should have which is why I believe Billy's Ernie is a bit closer to Jim's.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Considering Ernie looks as if he's being performed left-handed, I'd say it's Billy. Hasn't it been confirmed that Steve is officially retired from SST?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
We have no reason to believe it isn't Billy, that's the only person who's played Ernie the past two years, plus you can hardly hear his voice in the clip anyway.