Bob, Gordon, and Luis: FIRED!

Censored

Reaction score
Yeah, well, racism has no place in 2016, yet we've got white cops killing black people, resulting in Black Lives Matter protests, which has also resulted in Blue Lives Matter protests, which has also resulted in black people killing white cops, which has also resulted in All Lives Matter protests, which has also resulted in All Lives Didn't Matter protests, which has become a never-ending cycle.
Always been a messed up world, but there was a time when CTW (Sesame Workshop) set a good example.

Censored

Reaction score
No, but the thing is, even if Emilio, Sonia, Roscoe etc hadn't been hired than we would have gotten completely different characters based on whomever else they hired. And if they didn't have enough chemistry, than given the nature of the show, they would've been fired and replaced. Such is the case with many, many of the cast members from the 70s, 80s and 90s.
If you took that to its logical conclusion, no one should be praised for anything they accomplish because someone else might have been able to do it instead.

The point is that there were not others people doing it; they were the ones and they deserve more respect than they're getting now. Absolutely no reason they had to be fired except ageism.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
Debatable. Yes, the humans have been an essential role, but literally anyone could've been on the show for as long as they were. The Muppets are the soul of the show. It's been said that they couldn't get Jim Henson for this, there wouldn't be puppets.

The humans gave the show realism, but the Muppets give it longevity.
Yup. I was watching a lot of the TVLEGENDS interviews on YouTube, and a lot of the human characters almost downplayed the puppets, but the puppets were the show. Kids weren't running out and buying Gordon plushes. No disrespect to the humans.

Generations are all possessive about things in their generation. All I can say. The kids with kids watching now...and wait for it...it gets pretty hairy...grew up on Elmo's World. Elmo's World alone is 20 years old!
I was born in 1994 and I hated Elmo's World. :laugh:

Censored

Reaction score
Yup. I was watching a lot of the TVLEGENDS interviews on YouTube, and a lot of the human characters almost downplayed the puppets, but the puppets were the show. Kids weren't running out and buying Gordon plushes. No disrespect to the humans.

I was born in 1994 and I hated Elmo's World. :laugh:

Maybe not, but the Fisher Price Sesame Street Apartment set, with Little People figures of Gordon, Susan, and Mr. Hooper, was sure successful and could probably have been expanded on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Absolutely no reason they had to be fired except ageism.
And low budget. I think that keeps getting lost. Let's not forget they're also completely scaling back on Muppet characters as well. It's a cynical decision, but at least there's no spastic fairy tale characters taking away from the characters they actually owned and created.

It remains to be seen if the other, younger actors and actresses have also been fired.

But on the plus side, at least SW sort of backpedaled when they realize they incurred the wrath of the fanbase...though, a fanbase that hasn't watched the show in years, decades even, but a fanbase none the less.

I could totally take this with more understanding if they put it as an issue of "we need to scale the cast back, but they're still in our employ and can pop up." They way they handled it, however, was a bit d***ish. if nothing else, I agree to that.

BertsNose

Reaction score
I'm going to miss Bob, Luis, and Gordon so much. I don't really remember the previous two actors who played Gordon. Roscoe has always been my favorite ever since I saw him on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street". Anyway, I thought this might interest people.

By the way, what year is that number five song Bob, Gordon, and Luis are singing? That's a pretty nice song. I also don't remember that other character. I think he called himself David.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I'm going to miss Bob, Luis, and Gordon so much. I don't really remember the previous two actors who played Gordon. Roscoe has always been my favorite ever since I saw him on "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street". Anyway, I thought this might interest people.

By the way, what year is that number five song Bob, Gordon, and Luis are singing? That's a pretty nice song. I also don't remember that other character. I think he called himself David.
Wicked awesome! I saved that video that you posted to my computer so I can watch it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll also say this much. At least Gordon was very active in the past 10 years up until recently. Bob may have been a once a season pop up, same deal with Luis, but Gordon was still in capacity to the point even long time holdout Susan came back for a couple episodes. Roscoe is, if not my favorite human cast member outright then certainly in the top 3. It seems that in recent years he was only really there to pass the torch to Chris, but I really wish they would have given them more scenes together as uncle and nephew.

And daggnabbit, if you don't get joy out of this clip, I question the existence of your soul.

zhelder

Reaction score
And low budget. I think that keeps getting lost. Let's not forget they're also completely scaling back on Muppet characters as well. It's a cynical decision, but at least there's no spastic fairy tale characters taking away from the characters they actually owned and created.

It remains to be seen if the other, younger actors and actresses have also been fired.

But on the plus side, at least SW sort of backpedaled when they realize they incurred the wrath of the fanbase...though, a fanbase that hasn't watched the show in years, decades even, but a fanbase none the less.

I could totally take this with more understanding if they put it as an issue of "we need to scale the cast back, but they're still in our employ and can pop up." They way they handled it, however, was a bit d***ish. if nothing else, I agree to that.

So then why is Sesame Workshop so stubborn about doing things that could possibly raise revenue? I've been saying for years that they should release their entire back catalog to a streaming service. Or maybe even start their own. I'd be all in for that, and would gladly pay money for it.

Instead, we get removal of some decent classic episodes from Netflix and Amazon, to be replaced with a horrible selection of mostly Around the Corner and newer episodes on HBO.

And as far as that "press release", it sounds like a bunch of male cow expungement to me. Yeah, we'll be seeing Gordon, Bob, Luis, and other "classic" adults in future episodes... because segments they recorded nearly a decade ago will be recycled.

Jim Henson and Jon Stone have to be rotisserieing in their graves.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It would be near impossible for them to do that. We're talking about well over 4,000 episodes, each of them (up till now) an hour long. Who would have time to watch all of that anyway? And how would anybody be able to afford such?