Boiling Fur

MuppetRob

Reaction score
Hi team. Just a question. When you boil fur does the fur shrink ? Also is it better to cut your pattern out then boil it ? Ta. Rob

Slackbot

Reaction score
The fur I use shrinks significantly. I cut the pieces before I boil them, and I leave very ample allowance for shrinkage and don't cut any darts or inner pieces. After it's boiled and dried I cut the pieces to their exact size.

TML

Reaction score
Yes, it shrinks. Be very careful. On a couple occasions I tried to leave extra room but ended up not being enough.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
How long do you need to boil it for!????

Chris

TML

Reaction score
Depends on the length you want. For shorter tighter boil for 3 or 4 minutes. For longer shaggier, I just put it in very hot tap water. As hot as you can get it.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
Oh dear, did a test piece which I boiled for 20 mins!! Lol.

Are there different types of fur?? Or are they all basically made in the same way??

Chris

TML

Reaction score
How did it come out after 20 minutes? I purchase my fur from Mendel's on line. They have "punky Muppet fur". For a character with tighter fur like Grover, I'd boil it for 2 to 3 minutes, but with a character like Cookie Monster or Oscar whose fur is longer, I just fill a plastic pin with the hottest tap water. Still gets the lived in texture but leaves the fur longer. Here's the link to Mendels:

http://www.mendels.com/fur2.shtml

Kermieuk

Reaction score
It looks ok. I'm using for Fraggles, but each main character has different body fur to the others, Wembleys is long and straggly, Red and Gobo' s looks shorter, Boobers short and tight and Mokeys longer and fluffier!!

Thanks for the link, I live in the UK though so postage might be a killer!!

Chris

ashkent

Reaction score
I know how you mean Chris, postage is a nightmare and the term "luxury fur" seems to have a different meaning in the UK as I have very rarely seen any fur like that on Mendels (or eBay) in the UK that is anything other than rough, scraggly fun fur.

For the Yellow puppet that is my Avatar at the moment the fur cost around £40 for a yard with tax and imports - but that usually gives enough for one fully furred half body puppet and another with fur body and fleece arms and head.

I have occasionally managed to find some on eBay in the UK but mainly offcuts so it's hit and miss.

For Fraggle fur, one alternative i did find is mongolian fur - it's not as fluffy and that is what i used for my original Boober - it's also two tone which helps especially for him.

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I ordered some fur on eBay, it was listed as golden yellow, the colour and quality was amazing when it came.
We need a HUGE fabric store in the UK where you can see and feel the fur before you buy it. I got some great 'beige' fur at my local store for travelling Matt, if I ever find time to make him??

Chris

I will certainly check out Mongolian fur.