Boober's Nerves

UncleMatt'sBack

Reaction score
This was a running gag I used in "Muppet Show" outlines for a LONG time. I figured I should restate how it all began.

Basically, the running gag was much like Crazy Harry's. Whenever a Muppet said 'nerve' or 'nerves', whether Boober was in earshot or not, he'd immediately pop up and scream "MY NERVES! AAAAAAHHHHH!"

This joke started when I was copying a phenomenal CD compilation of Yiddish and early 20th century theatre songs for the father of a friend of my uncle's. It's a 2-CD set, and on the first disc, there was a song called "Help! My Nerves!", or in Yiddish, "Gevalt! Di Nerven!". I have not been able to find a translation for the song itself, but the man who performed it, Jacob Zanger, sounded exactly like Boober Fraggle, and since Boober's nerves were often shot, it did sound like something he would sing about.

So began the running gag. Usually, the Muppet who'd get Boober to scream would be Floyd, who found some perverse pleasure in doing this, much like how he enjoys tormenting Miss Piggy. (If it's one thing Floyd can't stand, it's high strung people...only thing he likes high strung are the strings on his bass!) However, Mokey and Janice usually curb him by telling him if he keeps saying it, he'll be plant-sitting Lanford.

Some of the variations on "MY NERVES! AAAHHHH!" have included:

Boober asking if he said the line OK, then tests out different ways on how to say it.
Boober forgetting his line, and then reading it off of a cue card.
Boober forgetting his line, and someone whispers it into his ear.
Boober saying his line while Kermit and Floyd are giving a demonstration on words that begin with the letter 'N'.
Boober popping out of the "Muppet Show" placard, screaming "It's the Muppet Show, with our very special guest stars, MY NERVES! AAAAAHHHH!"
An audition tape of other Muppets saying Boober's line, including Kermit, Rizzo, Beaker, the Swedish Chef, Animal, and Zoot.
Boober getting sick of the catchphrase and pawning it off on other Muppets, usually Beaker, Telly Monster, or Bert.
Boober trying to be intellectual, trying to convince everyone he's more than just a catchphrase, which results in a "Muppet Show" audience yelling "JUST SAY THE LINE!".
Boober getting sick of the catchphrase and trying to get "less fortunate" Muppets to say it as part of his charity work.
Boober saying other Muppets' catchphrases as well as his own. ("MY NERVES! Did somebody say 'bang'? I fergot! I'll never get it, never, ever!")