Boxed set of classic SS episodes -- coming soon??

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hoo-boy! This'll be great! Now I can see the Sesame Street all you old codgers grew up with!

Ziffel

Reaction score
Yeah that's where I emailed them from too, PiLfan. And be encouraged, Sesame Mike. Might just be a matter of time before it is a reality and won't need to fantasize. After all, TEC is a reality on dvd in February. :smile:

*One happy old codger!*

MuppetDude

Reaction score
PiLfan said:
the "legalities", i'm certain, are from all the authors/animators/song-writers that are responsible for the many, many short segments and skits of the show...while CTW may have had rights to show them at the time they were in rotation a few decades ago, that legal period has probably expired...so they must work out proper credits and royalties before repackaging for sale.

given the massive amounts of SS material accumulated over the years, i guess it's no wonder that this would take some time.
There are also some songs used from the first few seasons that were originally written by other people (like "Octopus's Garden" and "Loulou's Back in Town") that could be used.

SesameMike said:
Yeah, I know. But we can fantasize, can't we? If such a box set were released, what would it be like to slip that long-awaited DVD into the player?

First, we would hear the metal-plastic sound of the drive door closing. Then we'd hear a subdued whirring sound as the disk began to spin.

Then on the screen, we'd see an FBI Warning. Then perhaps a scrolling Interpol message in English and Spanish.

Next would be a standard PBS logo with sound. Then a vintage CTW logo (that sculpture-like piece with the cherub(s) ), which would gradually flash and morph with a "whoosh" sound effect into the modern-day Sesame Workshop logo.

The main menu would appear to the sound of the first few bars of the SS theme music (the "jing-jing" sound, with a fading out on the words "sunny day"). While the menu is up, there would be a muted playing of the slower harmonica vamp of the theme, the one that's usually played in the background of the first few minutes of the show after they fade from the main theme.

The main menu would be an animated or CGI view of the street: Hoopers store on the left and Oscar's can on the right. Big Bird would be present with that old hair-do (feather-do?) and Oscar would be orange. Perhaps other characters from Season 1 could be present.

On Hooper's awning would read "Languages", and selecting it would show an image of the interior of Hooper's store. On a sign that usually announced "Today's Special" there would be an option for English or Spanish, and maybe subtitles in either language or even French. No audio options would be needed, because these were all recorded in mono.

On Oscar's can would read "Extras"; Spinney could record Oscar saying "You wanna see some more junk?" with the sound of the can clanging when it's selected.

Finally, on the 1-2-3 door it would read "Episodes". Selecting that would have the sound of a door creaking open. The viewer would end up in Ernie and Bert's apartment! Ernie (in his original shirt) would be holding up a blackboard with two columns of 5 chalk numbers. Those would be the episode numbers, with two weeks worth shown on the board at a time. Selecting Bert would be "Back" and Ernie would be "Next". To the right of Ernie would be Cookie Monster, who would have "Play All" displayed on his fur in block letters.
(For an easter egg, a rare or unused E+B skit could be played upon selecting the hanging picture of the two of them on the wall)

Each episode would be divided into chapters: Opening credits, each appearance of the street characters, and just before the sponsor letters/numbers are announced.

The box for each season would have a cast photo from that particular season, making sure to include folks like Matt Robinson as Gordon, Tom, Molly the Mail Lady, etc.
*Sigh* :smile:

furryfella

Reaction score
I Hope they do that would be cool. Hopdefully they will do all the First 7 seasons!!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If you want to fantasize some more, you can read a thread I started in the Sesame Merchandise section, called "DVD Set Idea: Sesame Street Golden Collection". What I listed is a true wish list.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Got the same respond.
Thank you for your inquiry. As a matter of fact, yes, we are considering releasing "classic" episodes, although this is something that may not happen for a while (not until at least '07), as there are many legalities that would first need to be addressed. I will keep your email address on file, so that I can send you more information when we are ready to make an official release statement.

PiLfan

Reaction score
well, FWIW, there's an online petition to show interest in a dvd set/collection of classic SS episodes...

http://new.petitiononline.com/oscar/petition.html

too bad the author can't write or spell (evidently he didn't watch enough ss himself), but at least it puts a numeric pulse on the prospective market for such a product.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I e-mailed them as well. I'm pretty sure it did indeed go through. Personally, as much as I'd like to see classic song segments like those, I'd just be happy with older skits and self copywrited songs (ones they own themselves)... you know, so we don't have a repeat of what Disney had to do with TMS season one.