Boy, am I glad the Justice League movie never happened now...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mo cap and "penguin movie" That's why.

I don't care for Mo Cap, but I'll reluctantly accept how Tin Tin is (it looks pretty good). Just for that goofy special effect, it sounds like this movie wouldn't have been well accepted into the movie's key demographic. The GOOD Super Hero movies aren't well received either. I'm like, who are they for? The comic book geeks hate them, the public's apparently sick of the stuff... This would have been a disaster.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Well Marvel really got to doing their thing first, as The Avengers, if DC would do Justice League now it would make it look like they were copying Marvel.
And I wouldn't see Justice League becuase it's stupid becuase Superman can just do that all by himself, and he's in the Justice League!!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The JLA movie was announced well before Marvel's Avengers was. If a new JLA movie does happen, it would look like retroactive copying anyway. But Marvel's got the advantage here.

• They managed to make a film out of every main character in that movie, most of them successful... Captain America ended with a perfect segue into the Avengers movie, in fact.
  • For consistency sake, they kept all of the major roles since Iron Man, so the same actors who played Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, and Captain will reprise their roles, making it look like a clear and complete continuation.
  • It's a REGULAR live action movie. Mo Cap is a bad gimmick that's best suited for video games.
Now the problem with a JLA movie is that there would be so much klunky exposition if they did another origin story. That's what went wrong with Green Lantern... the expository sequences slowed the film down, and made the whole thing come out muddled... at least it was for me. Would we have skipped that part and moved on to them all being members and just start a plot from scratch? That one would work much better.

But the main problem is that, other than Batman (who's films did amazingly well), DC would have a problem reintroducing characters. I mean, Marvel got away with a few years of movie reboots (or in cases introductions) with the moved based on the characters that made up the Avengers... but DC can never get a Wonder Woman project, be it TV show or movie off the ground, they have to constantly reboot Superman (Superman Returns didn't do enough for them)... and everyone else would have to be established in the film... and NONE of them would be played by the same actor.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
The JLA movie was announced well before Marvel's Avengers was. If a new JLA movie does happen, it would look like retroactive copying anyway. But Marvel's got the advantage here.

• They managed to make a film out of every main character in that movie, most of them successful... Captain America ended with a perfect segue into the Avengers movie, in fact.
  • For consistency sake, they kept all of the major roles since Iron Man, so the same actors who played Iron Man, Thor, Nick Fury, and Captain will reprise their roles, making it look like a clear and complete continuation.
  • It's a REGULAR live action movie. Mo Cap is a bad gimmick that's best suited for video games.
Now the problem with a JLA movie is that there would be so much klunky exposition if they did another origin story. That's what went wrong with Green Lantern... the expository sequences slowed the film down, and made the whole thing come out muddled... at least it was for me. Would we have skipped that part and moved on to them all being members and just start a plot from scratch? That one would work much better.

But the main problem is that, other than Batman (who's films did amazingly well), DC would have a problem reintroducing characters. I mean, Marvel got away with a few years of movie reboots (or in cases introductions) with the moved based on the characters that made up the Avengers... but DC can never get a Wonder Woman project, be it TV show or movie off the ground, they have to constantly reboot Superman (Superman Returns didn't do enough for them)... and everyone else would have to be established in the film... and NONE of them would be played by the same actor.
If they were to do Justice League they would have to do it without Superman. What's the point of the other heros if Superman is indestructible?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Making a Justice League movie without Superman is like making a Muppet Movie without Kermit. Unless they do a Golden Age version that predates Superman's inclusion. He is the most popular member of the team... I'd wonder how Batman would fit in (He definitely wouldn't be like his Chris Nolan counterpart). But you cannot have the league without Superman. I mean, all you have is Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman Hawkman, and the Flash. No one would see a movie with just them. Only reason certain Avengers members aren't in the movie is due to contractual obligations with different film companies... I do wish Fox would lose the X-Men license.

The indestructible bit's not what's keeping ol' Supes down, it's the fact that in a world of specialized Superheros with specific powers and talents, he seems too generic, even though he was the first of his kind. He'd probably be a leader in the group and holding the story together... there's always some loophole they can find to make him a lot weaker... Kryptonite or something.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
Well, it stills sounds eons better than what we got in Green Lantern, but then again, anything is better than Ryan Reynolds flaunting for two hours.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Green Lantern was a flawed movie. Ryan Reynolds was a problem, sure... it was the huge info dump that was the problem for most people. The whole movie was half of the origin, and it spent the entire movie fleshing that out. We didn't even get Sinestro turning evil yet. The movie deserves a sequel ONLY because the plot would be so much smoother. The fact that Ryan acted like a "Bro" was off putting, sure... but so wasn't the fact Killawogg had like 3 minutes of screen time. Really... Superman's planet gets blown up and he gets adopted... you can do that in a half a movie... Batman's parents getting killed... heh... five minutes. To explain the entire GL Corp, the elders, and all the who whats wheres and whys would take at least a couple really long sweeping epic films to come out smoothly. I'd almost defend the fact they bluffed the TMNT's origins in Secret of the Ooze, because the true story of how they mutated would have been too complex to have done (though arguably a better story).

I honestly think if they have to do a JLA movie, they need to get Paul Dini or someone that worked on those shows as a consultant. Not a writer, a consultant. Seems that this kind of movie could turn into a goofball parody of Super Friends in the wrong hands. And really... Mo Cap? Just do the entire thing in regular CGI if you have to. or better yet, just save that stuff for those DTV animated films.