Brad Bird + Pixar present "Ratatouille"

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4801300.stm

Quote:
The Incredibles creator Brad Bird is taking on a restaurant-dwelling rat for his next project.

He will once again be working for Pixar on the animated film Ratatouille, about a mouse who lives in Paris.

The project had been around for several years and it was originally thought Czech animator Jan Pinkava would be directing it.

Work has begun on the complex animation for Ratatouille and it is due for release in 2007.

Sounds like a unusual idea for a story, but given Brad Bird's track record I'm sure people will be a lot keener on this film than "Cars", around here at least. It says June 29th 2007 for a provisional release date, I can't wait!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Hmm, this reminds me of a animation film Aardman's already working on about rats, only their film is supposed to be about a pampered city rat who finds himself lost in the sewers of England, and having to deal with such baddies like a bigger rat, a frog, and a toad.

peachesncream

Reaction score
is the rat the size of a dog?when i work in the french quater we had on that we joked about the other rats riding on him becasue he was literally the size of a dog.

Paul Miller

Reaction score
Maybe it is just me because I'm a big fan of both the Muppets and Disney, but did anyone else think that the theme of this movie was that the Muppets and Disney creators need to work together to overcome the system to make something great? You basically have Remy (Mickey Mouse) using Linguini as a Muppet (except Remy represents the Muppets and Linquini represents Disney).

They start off having their troubles working together and nearly separate, but they learn to listen to each other and work together in harmony to produce something great. Both Remy & Linguini have lost their fathers (or creators). Gusteau is a Walt like figure of what was considered a better time who is in inspiration as they ask "What would Gusteau do?". Remy's father is very weary of the humans (like Jim Henson was of Disney). The critic represents those who think the older movies are better and that the current fare doesn't compare. Linguini when he inherits the restaurant has the daunting task of having to live up to his father (or creator's) name. The rats are treated like second class citizens (like Henson’s group). Most of the rats aren’t selective but Remy is which is why he goes farther (a downfall of the Henson Studios post Jim Henson). When the critic eats the food, it takes him back to when he is a child. It ends on the message that a great artist can come from anywhere.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
It's an interesting theory, but do I think that's the reason they made the movie? Uh, no.

Drtooth

Reaction score
An absolutely brilliant film. This movie proved 2 things... that you can have a witty Urbane comedy in animated form and that Brad Bird is the most underrated animator of all time.

Fresh, hillarious dialogue, brilliant animation.. why, I couldn't even tell it was just rated G. It's great animation like this that can turn cartoons from a "kiddy medium" (akk!) to the high devoted art it really is. A true gourmet feast in cartoon form. And guess what? NO FART JOKES!

I liked it almost as much as I loved the Incredibles. Brad Bird really needs to do more scripts for Pixar.

I'm kinda worried about Wall E though...

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I would have to agree with everything you said there. He really is a brilliant director and I never thought that it was possible to top the Incredible after seeing it. Just love Disney's new head of animation in general. He Fired the head of the direct to videos "Cheaquels" department and completely shut down that animation studio. She had made billions for the Disney, too, and he cares so much about quality that that it didn't even matter. He also canceled a movie that they had already spent 30 million in about Tinkerbell. But it could still be released later. But he's showing that he really cares about making quality movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Brad Bird is an excellent animator. I LOVE my parody superheroes, Super Grover, Super Chicken, the Tick, Kinnikuman, Darkwing Duck...

But The Incredibles totally turned the super hero send up on it's ear, making a darkly funny film that was not children's stuff. The idea of a supervillain going around killing all the super heroes so that he can become the only one who can save the world.