Breaking Back In

Java

Reaction score
Hi, all. I don't know who is waiting for an update to this story but I do want to let you know that I have not deserted it or the board. If it wasn't for work schedule and this being summer we'd be moving right along.

This past weekend I had company and they didn't leave until late Monday night. Then there's appoitments that I had Tuesday morning and then I had to prepare to work Tuesday and Wednesday nights, of which I am in my last few hours of the Wednesday night shift (it's currently 5 something am. I'm on the East Coast).

For a bit of biographical information on me I am a Registered Nurse and work at in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. The nurses in this unit do twelve hour shifts be it day or night they run from 7-730. By the time you throw in a commute etc, your days can be fourteen hours long or more. (For instance for the shift I'm wrapping up I had a meeting before hand and that put me here at 6pm and I won't be able to clock out until 730am).

So, I'm writing and really want to update you all but the next chapter is on my home computer and my schedule has not allowed for me to update it yet. I hope to be able to post it later tonight after I've gotten sleep and done my grocery shopping and other adult things like that.

I just didn't want you to think I was a newbie who deserted you.

Talk to all of you later!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
No worries Java... We're a pretty understanding bunch here.
*Rowlf: Yeah, but a bunch of what?

Just go ahead and take care of what you gotta do... Post when you get the chance. We'll be here waiting and we know there's other stuff that sometimes gets in the way of that.

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 5

“Well, yes, I understand that travel abroad is a little tricky right now.” Kermit spoke into the phone, “But maybe we can look into the possibilities of satellite feeds for some of the spots on the shows.” After a pause he spoke again, “Okay, we’ll give you all some time and let you know how it goes here. I’ll keep you updated on the progress. Give my best to the rest of the international streets.”

“So, Boss, what’s the update?” asked Scooter.

“It seems that it’s time to vote. Set out the box Scooter.”

In the two weeks since Amber had discovered the Muppets there had been a lot of headway in bringing a show together. Granted, they wished it could go faster, but at least they weren’t at a standstill anymore.

Great debates had rocked the house as to what sketches were to be performed in the show to reintroduce the Muppets to the world. A gentle rumbling always seemed to be coming from the house when you stood at the end of the driveway. Occasionally rapports could be heard from Gonzo that always turned the neighbors heads. So far their luck was holding out and no questions were being asked.

Carrie let out the whistle to call the group to order.

“Now,” Amber looked from face to face in the room, “as Grandma and I dug through the records we couldn’t find anything to help us narrow down which sketches would be the best to perform.”

A collective groan was heard throughout the room as each geared up to debate why their favorite sketch was the best.

“Wait just a minute,” Carrie called out, “let Amber get through her speech before we start a mutiny on each other.”

“You mean that there was nothing that gave you any idea how much people wanted to see one thing before another?”

“Well, Fozzie, the closest we could find was records from a, I think it was called a forum, of fans and everyone had something different they loved and wanted to see. Those that liked one sketch had just as many people who didn’t like it. You all were very well loved.”

“I think,” called out Robin, “that there are a few standards that we must share. Uncle Kermit, you know that The Rainbow Connection will help us.”

“Yes, Robin, I know that. We’re keeping all of that in mind. But what we want to do now is put this to a vote. Jennifer has been able to get in contact with a lot of our friends in North America who will be able to travel to the theater and do a show. So we’re going to divide this into sections and plan on a three hour show with intermission.”

“Kermit, you have decided on the most noble of American ways to carry this out.”

Sam took the ballots from Amber and passed them out around the room. Each took it to a corner where they could privately reflect on the memories each sketch brought to them.

The room was bizarrely quiet as they made their way through the first four pages of the ballot.

“Oh, oh, oh!” Fozzie broke the silence as he started to gently bounce in his seat. “Is this really? Could it be?”

“What’s that?” Rowlf asked.

“Kermit? Oh, Kermit, are we really going to see Ernie and Bert again? Are they still on Sesame Street?”

The roar of pages quickly flipping filled the room as they tried to catch up to what Fozzie had been the first to find.

“Oscar?” Another voice called out from the crowd.

“Look back further guys! The Fraggles are coming too!” Robin had always wanted to see these creatures again.

“I must protest!” Sam called out bringing the excitement to a halt. “This has become very un-American. We should be a democracy! These creatures we are talking about should be able to vote as well! How can we put on a show in which they were not allowed to take part in the planning of? We will have a tea party on our hands, Kermit.”

“Sam, it’s okay. We’ve giving them the chance to vote. We told Jennifer what to write down over the phone and she’s giving them ballots too. We just have to wait for them to come in the mail.”

The room was now buzzing as each spoke aloud, unable to contain their excitement at seeing their long lost friends.

After the ballots were turned in, each Muppet found their own corner to start practicing their favorite sketches that they hoped would be chosen. The Electric Mayhem started up with a song again as Carrie brought out her computer to help them tally up the votes.

The Electric Mayhem were just getting to the chorus in their rousing rendition of Crocodile Rock when a frantic hammering was heard at the front door.

“Ms. Carrie Winters! Open up, it’s Officer Caruthers!”

christyb

Reaction score
Wow, that was well worth waiting for. Again lemme say that I'm glad you decided to share this with us. Where to begin.....I really liked how you incorporated the idea of all the Muppets being reunited through the ballots. I know that sounded really weird. That really stuck out in my mind. Then the ending! I'm on the edge here. Not to be pushy but please post as quickly as you can! :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed. Liked the nod to MC when Carrie and Amber were doing their research. It's good that Jennifer, the middle generation's taking care of getting the other Muppets to the theater. Liked how there are other Muppets besides the TMS cast that might be part of the reintroduction special... Good MB reference at the end.

Confused though. Why would neighbors be complaining, leading to Officer Coruthers knocking on Carrie's door... If you said that their home was in Upstate New York, far away from any neighbors earlier in the story?

Java

Reaction score
I think, instead of answering your questions, I'll just let my next chapter speak for me.

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 6

Carrie got up from the table as the Muppets rocketed into the basement. Amber’s eyes were wide and she started trying to hide the signs that more than her grandmother and her had been in the room.

“Hello, Stephen. How are you doing today? Come on in.”

Carrie opened the door wider as she allowed Officer Stephen Caruthers to step inside.

“Where did everyone go? I thought for sure there would be a rousing party going on as I knocked on the door.”

They walked back towards the kitchen as they spoke.

“Well, yes, Stephen, we were having a fine time. But Amber has everyone still skittish. Apparently the bigger cities are slower to catch on to the new laws. Amber’s wondering about all of the neighbors and who’s going to report us because of all the explosions Gonzo makes around the house. She doesn’t quite understand that while we may hear the strange noises going on we’re each going to mind our own business up here.”

“I think that what you all are working on here will be a welcome change. My grandfather used to tell me such stories about the stunts Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Rowlf, and the rest of them would pull when they lived next door to him. I brought the pictures he had of the group with me. I thought they would want to see them.”

“Wait a minute!” Amber looked back and forth from her grandmother to Officer Caruthers. “You’re in on this? How many more people are going to be in on this?”

Carrie went to the basement to call the gang back to the kitchen as Amber sat down with Stephen at the table.

“Well, there are a lot more people than you would imagine. The Sesame Street gang had to be separated from each other because they were too well known. These guys got lucky here. Your grandmother is the only one with this much room in a private area to have most of the group from the Muppet Show. Luckily, the Fraggles live underground, so they just had to agree not to come to outer space until the hole in the Muppet theater opened up again.”

Kermit walked into the kitchen and slowly examined Stephen Caruthers.

“Yes, I guess you do look a little like you grandfather. I never realized that he had children.”

“Well, Kermit, it wasn’t until after you all started to try to make it in Hollywood.”

“Carrie says that you are arranging the transportation of the Sesame Street residents back to New York City and that you’re looking for a vehicle large enough for us to go in. How’s that going?”

“Yes, Stephen. I was hoping that since you dropped by that meant you had news to share.”

“I do. I want you all to be ready to go in four days, all the arrangements are set up and there will be a bus to take you to the theater.”

“I can only imagine the work we have waiting for us there. Lots of cleaning.” Beauregard said.

“Well, I stopped by while I was researching ways to get everyone there. After the fright of my life I was able to look around and see that it’s not too bad off. It’s been well cared for during your absence.”

“You know,” Rowlf started, “I’d never thought that we’d be thankful for Uncle Deadly.”

Carrie sat down at the table to finish counting the ballots as everyone else broke off into groups to do their own thing. Those that had lived in the boarding house as babies spoke with Officer Caruthers about the stories he had been told and enjoyed looking through the pictures.

Only Amber hung back from the rest of the group. Her mind was muddled with all of the questions no one wanted to discuss. After all, it seemed that they had a way to get to the theater but no one had even talked about how they were going to get people to come and see the show or how they would get it on tv.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A figure gently swooped through the theater, performing duties uncharacteristically. He couldn’t quite contain his excitement that his family would be returning and he wanted to be able to welcome them back.

“Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend
When people can be so cold
They'll hurt you, and desert you
And take your soul if you let them
Oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend”

The words echoed through the theater as Uncle deadly continued straightening what he could.