Brian and Wendy Froud visit Santa Fe, New Mexico

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brian and Wendy Froud visit Santa Fe, New Mexico
Courtesy of the Santa Fe New Mexican

As people scurried about La Fonda's Lumpkins Ballroom getting it ready for Friday evening's Faerie Ball, gallery owner Suhana Gibson prepared for her last dance with Santa Fe's art scene.

Gibson, owner of the Chalk Farm Gallery, said she spent almost $20,000 from her own pocket to host the Faerie Ball, which also doubled as an opening reception for artists Brian and Wendy Froud, who live in England. Gibson said the ball also marks the end of her business ventures in Santa Fe - she's decided to close her gallery in January.

"When God put breath in me, he never allowed me to do things in small doses," she said.

The big to-do, which featured music, food and dancing, came to be when Gibson realized the space she rents at 330 Old Santa Fe Trail would not be sufficient for the Frouds' works.

Brian Froud is known best as the creator and artist of the best-selling book Faeries.

"When he agreed to do a show here, there was no way I was going to let him down. I wanted it to be an event he would be proud of," Gibson said.

Wendy Froud is recognized as the mastermind behind dolls and puppets featured in Jim Henson's films The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. She also created Yoda for the movie The Empire Strikes Back.

Friday afternoon, a few hours before the ball, Gibson carefully placed Brian Froud's paintings on the walls while other people decorated doorways with fake flowers and lined the room with fake shrubbery borrowed from The Santa Fe Opera.

"It seems to bring a lot of joy in people to masquerade," said Kelly Miller-Lopez, a member of Woodland, a mythical Celtic-inspired band that provided the evening's entertainment. "It's a state of bliss."

Gibson said she expected the event to bring bliss to people at the ball as well as the Wildlife Center in Española, which will receive 10 percent of the proceeds from the event's art sales.

Gibson said she expected the night to be a success, but owning a gallery in Santa Fe has not been easy.

"It's such a lot of work, and you don't make a lot of money," said Gibson, who is no novice when it comes to running a gallery.

For the past 22 years, she has operated a gallery with the same name in England.

When Gibson closes shop in January, she said she will help the Wildlife Center in Española open a new animal refuge in Angel Fire.

"If I'm not going to earn any money, I might as well do it on something worthwhile," she said.

http://santafenewmexican.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=2144&dept_id=500281&newsid=5924454&PAG=461&rfi=9

petrieboy

Reaction score
Im Going To Kill Something.

WHAT????
WHEN WAS THIS?
I LIVE 35 minutes from SANTA FE.
(Anger and Despair...)