Brian Henson Event at SLC Film Center

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
THE SLC FILM CENTER HOSTS BRIAN HENSON
Press Release: http://www.henson.com/company/091505.html

All Screenings and events are at the Salt Lake City Library, 210 E 400 South Street, Utah

Free and Open to the Public!

September 29th and 30th Brian Henson, director, performer and co-CEO of The Jim Henson Company will be an artist in residence at the SLC Film Center. The residency is in celebration of The Jim Henson Company’s 50 th anniversary and the release of Henson’s latest collaboration MIRROR MASK, in select theaters on September 30 th - (see www.mirrormaskthemovie.com). The SLC FILM CENTER will conduct a three day retrospective of Henson Company favorites directed by Henson, including JACK AND THE BEANSTALK: THE REAL STORY, FARSCAPE: THE PEACEKEEPER WARS, and MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL. The hit 80’s classic film LABYRINTH, in which Henson was a key performer, will also be screened. The celebration will also include some early films created by Company founder, Jim Henson. Additionally, Brian Henson will conduct an afternoon presentation on the future of digital puppetry and discuss the newest technology coming out of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop.

Salt Lake City is one of several cities participating in the Company’s anniversary. Los Angeles, New York, Boston, Minneapolis, San Diego and others have all hosted various events to honor the Company’s diverse and prolific history.

RETROSPECTIVE SCHEDULE : All screenings and events are at the City Library, 210 E 400 South and are Free and Open to the Public

Wednesday, September 28th
12 PM - MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL
2 PM - Screening of JACK AND THE BEANSTALK: The Real Story (3 hour mini-series)

Thursday, September 29th
2 PM - LABYRINTH screening followed by Q&A with Brian Henson performer of Hoggle and puppeteer coordinator on the film
4 PM - Screening of Jim Henson's experimental short films and his Oscar-nominated short film TIMEPIECE.
4:30 PM - THE FUTURE OF DIGITAL PUPPETRY: A Conversation with Brian Henson
5:15 PM - Reception and autographs co-presented with NIGHT FLIGHT COMICS and THE UTAH FILM COMMISSION
6 PM - FARSCAPE: The Peacekeeper Wars – a 3 hour miniseries introduced by Brian Henson and followed by a Q&A with Brian Henson

Friday, September 30th
11 AM - A COLLECTION OF TELEVISION WORK: MOTHER GOOSE STORIES; MUPPETS TONIGHT w/Prince; DINOSAURS: “Nature Calls”
1 PM - RETURN TO OZ
4PM - TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
hey gang,

oh wow I didnt know that henson did any thing for Disney back then for RETURN TO OZ? what did they do for the movie?!?? :smirk:

Sylinde Bren

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
oh wow I didnt know that henson did any thing for Disney back then for RETURN TO OZ? what did they do for the movie?!??
Well, I know puppeteers were required for the film... Perhaps, they helped with that. And then, I know animatronics were needed for characters such as Bellina...

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I am so excited that Brian is going to be here in my hometown! Are there any of you others that are going to go?

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think Brian either did the voice and puppeteering or just the voice or just the puppeteering. One of these are right.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
hey gang,

oh wow I didnt know that henson did any thing for Disney back then for RETURN TO OZ? what did they do for the movie?!?? :smirk:
Brian Henson was Puppeteer & Voice for "Jack Pumpkinhead" - a very large non-Muppet movie role! :wink:

wembleyfraggle

Reaction score
Dr. Bombay said:
I am so excited that Brian is going to be here in my hometown! Are there any of you others that are going to go?
I'll be there Thursday, I live in Farmington!!!

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
wembleyfraggle said:
I'll be there Thursday, I live in Farmington!!!
That's cool! I'm going to try and get out of work for part of the day. They should realize how important this is considering my desk is covered in Muppets :smile: Hope to see you there! I think I'll wear my Paula Abdul shirt so you'll know who I am:smile: I would wear a Muppet one but I don't have one :cry:

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
So I did go to the Labyrinth screening today and stayed for the Q&A with Brian afterward. I asked him if there were plans for Labyrinth merchandise and he said right now they are more focused on the Dark Crystal and doing things for that but that high end collectibles were down the line for Labyrinth. He said there was other stuff going on with Labyrinth that is in the works but he couldn't comment.

We then had the privelege of watching some of Jim's early film work including "Timepiece". That is so awesome!! If you ever have to chance to watch it, take it! It's hard to describe, but it's funny and thought provoking. They also showed some of his other films but I can't remember their names. There was one about the ripple effect and another about ideas, which was a really good film and then the King of 8 and Queen of 6 from Sesame Street. Brian said there are no plans to just release those films on DVD but to include them as extras on the Muppet Show DVDs.

He also spoke about how the Jim Henson company is going forward with CGI puppets and he showed a clip from "The Jim Henson Hour" when Jim was explaining that technology with the first ever CGI puppet (I forgot his name). They also showed some of what they are doing on that new kids show "Frances".

Brian reminded me so much of his father in the way he spoke and his posture and such. And in the way he was so kind.

His sister, Heather, was there as well and she's very beautiful.

It was well worth missing work for.