Brian Muehl's Elmo

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Oddly enough, Brian Meehls Elmo doesn't sound like any other Brian Meehl voice I've heard (I've heard his Telly Monster, Mr. Knack and Bogg from Eureeka's Castle, Bruno from Dog City, a bear from the Marty Feldman episode of The Muppet Show, and Tattooey from The Muppets Take Manhattan). Did Brian Meehl use that voice for any other character?
Brian Meehl's Elmo sounds like a charachter Brian played for a week of episodes in 1982 named Rusty. He was a Muppet who was at Camp when Big Bird went to Camp for a week, who was afraid to try anything new.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I seriously doubt Jerry Nelson ever performed Elmo, and I'm pretty sure that was Brian Meehl's Elmo that was in the "wer'e all monsters skit" Carroll Spinney only performed Elmo in the early 70's, and it wasn't even Elmo back then it was Baby Monster. I can tell the wer'e all Monsters skit isn't from the early 70's. I can tell just by the film quality and the type of Monsters that were used. I think Richard only performed Elmo for one season, since Brian left the show in 1984, and Kevin didn't start performing him until 1985.
1) Scarecroe has an audio file of the original "We Are All Monsters" on a record, and Jerry definitely does the voice.

2) The "Me, Claudius" voice sounded almost exactly like his Two-Headed Monster voice.

3) The way Brian performs: the mouth often moves more than once for some syllables.
The way Jerry performs: he skips syllables. If you watch closely, Elmo's mouth skips syllables during both clips.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, in the dialogue at the beginning of "We Are All Monsters", they did change the words. I have never seen the old one, but I have heard the old one on a record, which doesn't have the dialogue at the beginning. But in the new one, he said "He doesn't look like Elmo." But if you watch closely, his mouth opens 6 times. So he probably said "And you don't look like me." But in the song, he actually did sing "I." I think they must have done that just so that it would match his mouth.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
1) Scarecroe has an audio file of the original "We Are All Monsters" on a record, and Jerry definitely does the voice.
I have read a listing of songs on an album from the early 1980s which mentioned that this song was included. I know that Brian Meehle wasn't credited. Maybe different performers recorded the song for an album.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I had wondered if people doubted Meehl performed Elmo in "We're All Monsters" due to him not being credited. But then Richard Hunt wasn't credited either, and he performed the tall gray monster.

But now I believe that it wasn't Meehl. There are recent sources that say he only performed Elmo a few times (and yet he's often cited as the original performer). Though I do wonder if that was actually Michael Earl in those early Elmo performances. I've recently seen some of his performances, and some of Earl's characters (the ticket taking grouch in "Bring Your Own Can Night", the patient in the "Alphabet Time" sketch, Mr. Snuffleupagus) do sound similar to the voices Nelson did.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
No, that was Jerry in We are all Monsters, he used the same voice for Blue Frackle in the Edgar Burgen episode of the Muppet Show. Plus, it was a skit done by the original muppeteers, Jim as the fat blue monster, Frank as the Green one, Richard as the tall gray one and Jerry as Smoker Elmo.

gravy

Reaction score
Well, my friend found a little soundbyte of Brian's Elmo. It sounds... I don't even know. Very whispery.