1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

Dismiss Notice
  3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

Bringing Back the Bells...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by Convincing John, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Oh! Thanks, Ashley! You will like this interesting holiday as much as I do. This is my second year around to join in "Bring Back The Bells" tradition.

If we ring the bells, let's not just think about Jim, but also about Jerry, Faz, Richard, and so many others that were part of this tradition a way while back.

I have my Wembley plush and I am ready.

2. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

YOU HAVE A WEMBLEY PLUSH? Oh Colly,you are sooo lucky! I have my Jerry Nelson memorial t-shirt with Gobo on it and that's IT.

3. Twisted Tails

Then wear it on the 21st. Trust me! Ignore people that are mean to you just because you wear that t-shirt and if there others that like it then that's good.

Think about this quote:
    "I will be joining all the other bell ringers this December 21st. Thanks for the info. First I've heard of it but happy to make it part of our tradition." -- Jerry Nelson on December 21st, 2010 (about 3 years ago)

BTW: You might want to maybe wear a sweater before putting on the t-shirt you mentioned.

4. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Wait a minute...I thought it was going to be 9PM central time. :confused: Normally it is.

At any rate, if any MCers decide to watch the Bells of Fraggle Rock, start the episode at exactly 22 minutes before the hour. When the Fraggle's ring their bells, it will be exactly on the hour.

http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2009/12/bringing-back-bells.html

5. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I was referring to the winter solstice. The time and date of the solstice varies from year to year. What are you referring to, if not that?

6. Convincing John

Well, way back in the old days of MC, there was a chat that happened around that time each Dec. 21st. Different MC members would ring bells. That's what I was thinking of.

Maybe we should all vote on a time that would be good for everyone to ring a bell. :coy:

7. Slackbot

Ah, okay. I'm a relative newcomer, so I didn't know about that tradition.

I have almost a dozen puppets now, all but one of 'em Fraggles. Where am I going to get bells for 'em all?

8. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

The same place you got Skeeter's accessories? Doll/hobby shop?
    *Singing the 12 Puppets of Slackbot. :zany:

Edit: There's a wonderful article written by ConvincingJohn himself at the Muppet Mindset explaining the ringing of the bells for those who may not know about this annual MC holiday tradition.
    Although it should be said the time of the episode was 9:00 PM CST, so adjust your times accordingly.

Also... When I hear the phrase "the ringing of the bells", I immediately associatively think of the song "The Closing of the Year" from Toys, a movie starring Robin Williams and others.

9. mostlikemokey

mostlikemokey Well-Known Member

I'm really confused... the agreed apoun time is....?

10. Twisted Tails

I will ring my ornament bell at 9:00p.m. and 10:00p.m. I couldn't ring my bell or something on 12:11p.m, because I had some tasks to do, things to prepare... I forgot to ring the bell at exactly that time at noon.

Me too! I can't whether to ring my ornament bell at 9:00 or 10:00p.m.

11. Convincing John

9PM Central Time.

If you have a copy of "The Bells of Fraggle Rock", begin the episode at exactly 8:38PM (Central Time). If you do, the Fraggles will ring their bells right on the hour.

12. Twisted Tails

Sadly, Josh, I am in Eastern Time, I should ringing my bell at 10:00p.m.

Hope this helps!

13. CanaceErinn

CanaceErinn Active Member

I did this last year using my car keys. Currently watching the episode now and looking forward to ringing one of my jingle bell ornaments! :excited:

14. mostlikemokey

15. Twisted Tails

That's great, Mostlikemokey! I already rang my ornament bell!

16. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

I also rang an ornament with a bell on it! I tried to watch the episode at the correct time as well, but my ancient laptop wouldn't load the episode on Hulu, and I don't have it on DVD.

17. Twisted Tails

Sorry about double posting, but when I rang my bell last year, I thought I heard Jim's bell ringing, then Richard's bell, Mr. Juhl's bell, Jerry's bell, Jane's bell; our bells keep the world alive.

It's great to be back on this tradition again. Last year, I wasn't sure if it was a great idea to do this celebration. There was too much uncertainy, darkness, tension on races and the environment. What was I thinking? The problem is that I get caught with that kind of stuff and then I get depressed.

Now I learned that I got to be extra cautious on what's good and what's bad.

Here's a blog article that summarizes the episode of "The Bells of Fraggle Rock."
    http://amuchdeeperlevel.blogspot.com/2011/12/seasonal-depression.html

18. Twisted Tails

I rang my ornament bell late by one minute. I almost lost that opportunity because my parents were yelling in the background. Other than that, my laptop was fine... too much tension in the background and I just want to watch that FR episode at 9:38p.m.; instead it was 9:40p.m.

19. mostlikemokey

Bumping this thread because it's (close to) that time of year again!!!!!

The Count likes this.
  20. Slackbot

According to Almanac.com, the exact moment of the Winter Solstice this year will be on December 21 at 6:03 PM Eastern time.

Muppet fan 123 and AlittleMayhem like this.