bruno the trash man questions

keithallison

Reaction score
Hey all... I've researched all I could and can't find the appropriate resource...
Does anyone have a pic of Bruno the trash man's logo either on his hat or on his back? doing a halloween costume and want it to be as close as possible even though 99% of the people that see it wouldn't know if the logo is correct or not.

I watched the trash can song on youtube and you can see a glimpse of the logo on the back and you can clearly make out "TRASH" on the oval logo on the hat but the rest is obscured by sequined fabric.

thanks

sesameguy

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool costume idea! I wish I had a good picture of the logo. I know that Bruno appears briefly at the end of "Follow that Bird," but I'm not sure if the logo is visible or not (haven't seen it in a long time!). Anybody remember?

xochval15

Reaction score
Bruno reminds me of Mr. Bean. They obviously don't resemble eachother, but their small words and grunts are pretty ingenius. His demeanor kinda gives off a bit of grumpiness, similar to Oscar. Maybe that's why they mesh so well. :grouchy:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bruno appeared in illustrated form in First Day of School (1982), Ernie's Neighborhood (1987) and Oscar's Grouchy Sounds (1990). It's possible that there are some good close-ups of his logo in one of them. Although I'm not sure how quickly you might find one of these on eBay or Amazon Marketplace in time for Halloween. Good luck!
Ernie's Neighborhood and Oscar's Grouchy Sounds both show only a side view of Bruno. They don't show the back of his uniform.

But it is shown at the end of Follow That Bird. It says "Trash Co."

Redsonga

Reaction score
When i was growing up i Never understood what Bruno was doing with Oscar every time he had him inside the can, but Bruno was always non speaking, but was a very positve role model for Oscar, but its good that he was on the Show back in the Day.
I always thought he was like Oscar's taxi service :3...
But it would have been funny if all that time Bruno was only carrying Oscar around because of his job and could never find a garbage truck to dump his 'home' into:shifty:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bruno reminds me of Mr. Bean. They obviously don't resemble eachother, but their small words and grunts are pretty ingenius. His demeanor kinda gives off a bit of grumpiness, similar to Oscar. Maybe that's why they mesh so well. :grouchy:
I remember him being quiet most of the time, but I wouldnb't have held it agaisnt him if he had grunted or such. In Big Bird's Birthday, right before Bruno starts skating, oscar asks if he's ready, and I feel like he should have made a "Hmm" sound. He didn't, but should have.

And it is interesting during that skating sequence when Oscar says "We'll talk about this later". I wodner if Oscar regularly said that to Bruno. There isn't much Bruno material in fan circulation, but that would be funny, Oscar saying that they'll talk about somethign later, when bruno rarely spoke.

But I figure that the effect used to move Bruno's mouth must have been limited, since when he does talk, it's usually just two one-syllibal words. In The Trash Can he does get a longer line ("put it in the trash can"), but he's not on-screen for most of that line (instead, it's a shot of the audience).

Though an invisible wire was used to move his mouth, I wodner if it was possible for Caroll Spinney to put his hand inside the mouth whenever Bruno wasn't carrying Oscar or any other characters (I recall a scene where he carried a can with Irvien inside). I watched closely on the trash can song, but couldn't find the wire, though that could be the video quality on youtube. The mouth movement seems a bit like something pulled by string. I was also watching closely at the end of Follow That Bird yesterday, to see if the wire might have gone through the mouth so it would stay up, and I didn't see the wire there, either. The film quality might have made it more invisible than video quality, though, after all, the wire connected from Big Bird's hand to his chest to his other hand wasn't noticable in the movie as well. But I have seen a wire connected from Bruno's mouth, in a few photos (like the one in Sesame Street Unpaved, which is one of the photos on his Muppet Wiki page) and in Sesame Street, Special, wher ehe doesn't even open his mouth.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Though an invisible wire was used to move his mouth, I wodner if it was possible for Caroll Spinney to put his hand inside the mouth whenever Bruno wasn't carrying Oscar or any other characters (I recall a scene where he carried a can with Irvien inside). I watched closely on the trash can song, but couldn't find the wire, though that could be the video quality on youtube. The mouth movement seems a bit like something pulled by string. I was also watching closely at the end of Follow That Bird yesterday, to see if the wire might have gone through the mouth so it would stay up, and I didn't see the wire there, either. The film quality might have made it more invisible than video quality, though, after all, the wire connected from Big Bird's hand to his chest to his other hand wasn't noticable in the movie as well. But I have seen a wire connected from Bruno's mouth, in a few photos (like the one in Sesame Street Unpaved, which is one of the photos on his Muppet Wiki page) and in Sesame Street, Special, wher ehe doesn't even open his mouth.
We should probably scratch out most of this paragraph. I couldn't see the wire when watching on my old desktop computer, and there had been things I watched on the desktop that were hard for me to see (like some of the backgorund characters in the Bert and Ernie sketch where Ernie expresses his emotions at a theater) that I'd been able to see when using other DVD players like my Playstation 2 or my laptop. So I watched FTB on my laptop and I did see Bruno's wire there (and I also watched my old VHS copy of the movie for old times sake, and saw it on that).

And it seems like the wire can't be seen when watching youtube (especially when I enlarge to full screen mode). I watched closely on The Trash Can, Bruno's scene from Big Bird's Birthday, and the Sesame Street, Special version of The People in Your Neighborhood (which has Bruno right before and after the song), and I can't see it in any of those clips on youtube. Now, The People in Your Neighborhood is the only one I have a video copy of, and I've seen the wire when watching that on a TV. And I assume that a wire was present in the birthday special, as although he doens't talk, his mouth does open a few times, notably at the end of the sketch, where it looks like it is hanging out.

keithallison

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I started this topic... I finally got around to posting a pic of my finished costume http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=42715

I'm working on getting some detail shots as well as the logo I came up with for the back of Bruno's jacket.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, I'll try to get a video of the costume up...