Bunnicula: The Animated Series thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
Figured I'd better split this from the Tom and Jerry Show thread.

I'm really digging this series so far. There's a nice bit of cartoon zaniness and monster mash about, and it has a nice bit of heart to it as all three animals care for their little girl human caretaker, Mina. Not to mention the fact that while Harold the Dog is dumb and Chester is a little short tempered, they aren't Schnookums and Meat-like and actually care for each other. Also seems that Bunnicula gets different powers from different vegetables. So Squash somehow makes his right foot bigger. Hmmmm.

I like how they got a stab at Breadwinners in one of today's episodes. Also loved the running gag about how Harold wanted everyone to see his scar for Chester to keep grossing out over it, only for Chester to say that it really is cool when he finally sees it.

Really loving the ani-monster of the week format. Especially how the Alligator wasn't actually a villain, just somehow causing problems for the residents. This show seems to be a spiritual successor to Courage the Cowardly Dog, only with more verbal animals.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I've also noticed that Mina seems pretty oblivious to all the goings-on regarding Bunnicula and the monsters in her neighborhood. She thought Spiderlamb's bleating was coming from the movie she was watching, for one.

And knowing that Bunnicula thought that Harold would love to hear a bedtime story about a sheep/spider hybrid unaware of the book's true nature makes me think that he isn't evil so much as he has a twisted sense of humor.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I also really like the use of wild takes, particularly with Chester. Using 2DCG software shouldn't give you an excuse to not go crazy with expressions, and this show just doesn't do that. :smile:

mr3urious

Reaction score
I like how it's made clear that Bunnic is an ageless immortal, and that some of the monsters are seeking revenge against him from many years ago (that giant cockroach in the first episode could be among them). I also like how the origin is revised in that he was once owned by Dracula, rather than being found in a movie theater that just happened to be showing the movie Dracula.

And last week's episode with the Knight Owl was pretty darn horrifying in hindsight. For the sake of protection, he essentially puts a spell on Mina that prevents her pets from even coming near her, and prevents her from even seeing them. If that owl had his way, they would have been separated from each other for eternity! :cry: