CafePress...Who did this?

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Hey,

This is one for the "sorta creepy" file folder. I was just now attempting to set up a MuppetCast online store at CafePress.com. CafePress, as you may know, is a website designed to allow poor schlubs like me with no art or merch skills with opportunities to make available things like T-shirts, lanyards, etc.

Anyway, here I am trying to set up cafepress.com/muppetcast as the official URL of the MuppetCast online store. But wait! Problem. Apparently someone has beaten me to the punch. That URL already exists. Really? I was shocked, but yes, someone else already has set up a URL for an online MuppetCast store.

There is one item up for sale, apparently. A BBQ apron which reads "The Muppet Cast with Steve Swanson". Again, I had no prior knowledge of this item, nor did I have any idea that this store existed.

Creepy? To say the least, absolutely.

I would advise anyone reading this to NOT purchase that item, as the proceeds will NOT go to help The MuppetCast nor any of my efforts in bringing it to you. I would also ask that the person who set up this cafepress store (if he/she happens to read Muppet Central) please alert me and we can talk about options in perhaps altering operations so they help facilitate future opportunities for the podcast of which you are evidently a fan.

Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Wow, that is sort of creepy, Steve! I'm sorry that your url was taken and that you had to find out like that... >< A bit weird, yeah.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Gosh that is weird! I can't say I have had it happen to me, but I've heard of it happening. Look at all the fake celebrities out on Myspace for example. I hope you can get it all worked out!

Skye

Reaction score
Oh wow, Steve, how strange. I'm sorry to hear about this. I really hope you're able to work it all out soon!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Since we're still in the grips of Halloween season... Should we play the Twilight Zone theme music? If you get nowhere or no replies from the person who already set up that store at Cafe Press, I'd recommend you take up your case with Cafe Press themselves.

Spaced Out Dude

Reaction score
Hey Steve!

Luke Manning here... I'm pretty sure that was Diz who did that. I think one day he got bored, & set it up as one wasn't there already.

Yes... That is him, as he always uses that font.

I'm sorry, I'll try get the pass. But as you know, his memory problems.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
yea see that would be where some good copywritien would go. I know that you use a lot of muppet songs (disney) and fragels (Henson) and then there are some sesame street things as well, so getting permison to use that stuff would be somthing totaly diffrent.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
As I think more about this, and as I take a step back and look at the situation, I have to think that this wasn't done out of malice. It's still a little bit odd, granted, but I have to think that a fan might have done this out of appreciation for the podcast. I really was looking forward to making some T-shirts and the like available from the above URL, and hopefully the fan who initiated the store will email me soon and we can work this out.

It just really jarred me, seeing my name in something other than a blog post, and on something for sale no less. As I think more about it, I am flattered. But really. I mean, come on...I love to be the guy week after week who produces the MuppetCast, but really I'm just another face in the crowd, not anyone of any real status at all. Why would anyone capitalize off of me? Why would anyone even think that's a profitable idea? Lol.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Wow! You just never know what's going to happen somtimes?

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Wow, that IS creepy.

*Plays Goosebumps theme*

Thanks for alerting us, Steve!

Meh, it's a flattering gesture though...