Calendar Oneshots: Hot July Tenniversary

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
It was a sunny summery day yes, yet it was still cool indoors in the early morning hours thanks to the wafting breeze. The residence's owner, a recognizable adult amphibian was up and about, half-whistling half-humming a familiar tune while winding his way to the breakfast table. Yep, he thought, it was good to be together again. Claiming his seat at the table's head, his trusted if not outdated robotic live-in assistant brought a plate of steaming waffles, the syrup just dripped onto the baked goods coming from the kitchen where the Swedish Chef had occupied as his own. This made the frog smile, to think that you could teach an old dog new tricks. Speaking of... A brown dog ambled up to the table just after the frog. The only thing he'd been chasing was the melody at the upright piano they'd moved from the theater into the manor. He served him some juice, grabbing a couple of sausages from the serving dish. This made the frog chuckle. "Can't get away from his old friend, Jimmy Dean," he said under his voice. The rest of the Muppets filed in at intervals afterwards, cluttering and clattering the table, appreciative it was mealtime.

"So chief," piped up the young man, identified by his signature green theater jacket. "Any plans for today?" "As a matter of fact, Scooter," Kermit began, placing a flippery hand on his nephew's head and neck. "We have a 4th of July party to get ready later this afternoon. I want you to get the entire cast onboard." "Sure thing boss." "Oh, and Scooter," the elder frog spoke conspiratorily so as not to let anyone else overhear. "Get on the phone and get the gang from NY in on this too." "You got it." With that, the gofer finished his last bite and lept to the task at hand. It wasn't that hard to alert the main troop, or the secondary actors of the Muppet Show, word would travel quicker than Scooter's black belt in Google-fu turning up search results on the internet. It didn't hurt that part of the frog's manor was close to their old boarding house. Hey, we can't all afford to live in a huge millionaire's manor! Besides, I don't think the frog would trust leaving us alone in his house after that time Gonzo used up all the mayonnaise. "I said I was sorry!" cried an indignant weirdo. "Uh guys, you're braking the fourth wall." "Good, we already smashed through three trying to get into this story." "You are all weirdos!" "And proud of it too Sam." Scooter just shook his head, trodding onwards. He called the station, talking to the reporter's producer as she'd be the most reliable source of getting the golden journalist to disseminate the news they wanted—and none of what they didn't let loose. "No," the gofer thought dismally, "Fleet will cover that." The band's services had been secured for the jamboree later in the afternoon. Crazy Harry had been promised full range for the display that night. He'd even gotten Sal to book Johnny to sing the national anthem. "That'll keep Sam happy," he replied before hanging up. Next were the special guests. Scooter found the area code for NYC after cajoling Rizzo—not that hard to do—with an apple Danish he'd been saving for later. Calling Clifford confirmed he'd bring some lady friends he'd met while in Vegas. "Great, that'll keep Pepe busy." Satisfied, Scooter went to deliver the news downstairs to the scientists bunkered in the basement of the boarding house and last but not least the demon dragon who looked out after their second home, the theater, with a protectiveness few could match.

The afternoon found all manner of Muppets sprawled outside upon the grounds. Some had wandered down to the newly-opened pools for some splashing and swimming and a friendly game of Meep-o Polo. The Chef happily tended the barbecue grill, flipping burgers for the lunchtime crowd of kids. The eagle had prided himself in raising an American flag, well, you just couldn't have an Independence Day celebration without paying tribute to the greatest nation of them all. At least in his mind it was or so he'd gone on record as saying when he was interviewed on television by that weird Colbert fellow. Mr. Fiama may have mangled the anthem, stumbling into a partial rendition of My Way here and there, but it was still passible if you didn't mind his gentleman's chimpanzee feeding him the lines on cue cards. Well, if that guy got by with crib sheets written on his hand... Oddly, noone seemed to mind his performance. Walter, another new addition to the family, was having the time of his life playing frisbee with Ernie. The perennial hecklers chose to stay away from the main gathering, tossing horseshoes from their second-story open balcony.

Evening came soon... Kermit found himself nestled on a laid blanket with two of the more important people in his life. One hand around the small bulbous form of his froggy nephew, his other slipped around his lady pig's waist, he just couldn't get rid of the subtle smile forming at the corners of his face. He smirked when seeing the added couples on blankets or in chairs around him. Fozzie was blushing to beat the band as Dora snuggled together with him like she had seen and envied Beth years ago. Gonzo and Camilla were comfortably resting in a nest of their own staring up at the starry sky. Scooter and Newsie were equally captivated with their girls—so what if they were actual girls? Rizzo tried to get close to Rhonda, though she kept shoving him back to his side of the green grouch's open trashcan's inner ledge. Jim, the Muppet, showed up around that time, banjo in hand. Spotting the Mayhem braking off for the night, his strings started strumming that time-honored rainbow theme. It was heaven to hear all Muppets singing, voices blending into one pure harmony. And as soon as they ended, their eyes were greeted by a rainbow of flashing lights in the sky. The fireworks had begun! Robin was probably the most excited out of the Muppet clan. Which explains why he was probably the first to spot some fireworks zooming off to a center spot above the gathering. "Uncle Kermit," he prodded. "What is it Robin?" "Do you see those fireworks up there?" Of course." "No, not those." The young frogling pointed at the lights he meant. To Kermit's astonishment, the re was a light lime green phosphorecent outlined number 10 floating high above. "Oh, that, er, yeah. Well, that's marking the ten years we've been welcome here at Hensonville." "But I thought Hensonville was founded in 1998, around Ernie's Rubber Duckie's birthday." "Yes," Kermit admitted. "But we didn't really start arriving until the summer of 2002." "Oh," Robin said, accepting his uncle's explanation. "Uncle Kermit?" "Yes Robin?" "Happy Tenniversary." With that he dug deeper into his guardian's hold, gazing and laughing at the blue and pink Martians' aerial antics before falling off to sleep out beneath the stars.

A/N: Celebrating ten years as an MC member, July 12 2002 - July 12 2012.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
AWWWWW!!!

Best parts, in random order:
Meep-o Polo.
the National Anthem mixed with "My Way"...and ape-cued song lyrics.
black belt in Google-Fu. (Get Joe Bob Briggs on the red phone, stat!)
breaking the Fourth Wall.
references to my favorite Fourth Estate.
Statler and Waldorf tossing horseshoes...wait. Were they tossing 'em OVER the balcony?

:news: I'm sure those two mannerly gents would never -- *CRUNCH* ...ow.

And a yardful of happy Muppets cavorting under the sparkly sky...
Cavort, cavort, cavort! Yaaaayyyy! :smile:

I needed a smile. Thanks so much Ed!!! Mwah!
---------------

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you Kris, that makes me smile in turn as I was feeling this didn't hold up to other entries. Oh well, I'll have time to plan better for the fair in August, if I can count on both Scooter and Piggy's mink assistant.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hexactly. *Schemes to get a couple of notions in order, will probably run through a few booths from the sketch or inspiration from Ru's St. Patrick fest.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Yay! Happy Anniversary! You're finally into double digits!

This was a superb feel-good story (which you know I'm partial to) and there were tons of nice little touches. I'm glad the 80s robot and Chef have worked out an amiable division of duties, and it was great to see man's best friend being one of the frog's best friends again. And how great to be reminded that Kermit will not be bereft of the greatest gift of all--the love and care of a child. Robin is such an important part of Kermit's life that I can't imagine Kermit's life without him (and don't want to).

I'm glad that Kermit and Piggy have opened up their house to their friends for such an important celebration. It make my heart go pitter-pat to think of that big house, once shrouded and quiet, now filled with joy and noise and affection. I'm sure that there will be plenty of fireworks to go along with all the outdoor festivities, too, now that Piggy is back where she belongs.

You did us all proud, sweetie! Thanks for posting! (And the chorus goes: More, more, more--please!)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply, was off reading the newest story in a long-running Scooby plot over at the other fanfic place I'm part of.

Funny to think that the acts for the fair all came so quickly. Well, at least that has a song to center it and a gofer to trace through the lot in search of one who lived there, or so it goes.
:concern: Do I get a part in it?
Sure, if you don't mind being attacked by Animal with his morningstar while you only have a jousting lance.
:concern: Cool!
Now go and see if Aunt Ru can get you and :cluck: back together.
*Gets ready to take in a show.

BTW: Originally, this oneshot would have been the planned picnic between me and Autumn with the song Summer Nights given that Piggy's run in Grease! is still playing. But when the Mother's Day scene with Sadie just didn't feel right, I decided on the picnic setting for :news: and his lady lover as you know it as Mayflower Muse.