Calvin and Hobbes

Super Scooter

Reaction score
by Bill Watterson.

My mom and my dad are not what they seem.
Their dull appearance is part of their scheme.
I know of their plans. I know their techniques.
My parents are outer space alien freaks!

They landed on earth in a spaceship humongous
Posing as grownups, they now walk among us.
My parents deny this, but I know the truth.
They're here to enslave me and spoil my youth.

Early each morning, as the sun rises,
Mom and Dad put on their earthling disguises.
I knew right away their masks weren't legit.
Their faces are lined - they sag and don't fit.

The earth's gravity makes them sluggish and slow.
They say not to run, wherever I go.
They live by the clock. They're slaves to routines.
They work the year 'round. They're almost machines.

They deny that TV and fried food have much worth.
They cannot be human. They're not of this earth.
I cannot escape their alien gaze,
And they're warping my mind with their alien ways.
For sinister plots, this one is a gem.
They're bringing me up to turn me into them!

- From a Calvin and Hobbes comic featured in the book, "It's a Magical World"

Since so many on these boards are Calvin and Hobbes fans, I thought it might be fun to have a thread devoted to discussing the two and their adventures.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
LOL! Great poem! I may have read that before. My brother Nathan has a lot of his book. Calvin and Hobbes is his favorite cartoon. He has his own comic strip, and for a long time its main character looked an awful lot like Calvin. He underwent a radical transformation, though. :cool:
Erin

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Hehe! When I was 8, I drew a comic about a kid and his imaginary dog. They would walk through the woods discussing philosophy. LOL!

The way the humor is in the Calvin and Hobbes comics makes it almost so that it's like an adult Peanuts comic. Maybe that's why it's so good.

Phantom

Reaction score
I've been a Calvin and Hobbs fan since our closest "city" paper picked it up in syndication. I miss it. I've got several of Watterson's books, but it's just not the same as having to wait for the next day's paper.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Phantom said:
I've been a Calvin and Hobbs fan since our closest "city" paper picked it up in syndication. I miss it. I've got several of Watterson's books, but it's just not the same as having to wait for the next day's paper.
Yeah, I'd echo that thought. I stopped reading the comic section on a daily basis once Calvin and Hobbes ended. Fortunately, they've done a good job of producing reprints in book form. It's been a long time since I've read them, but this is easily my favorite comic strip ever.

My favorite story arcs were anything involving Rosalyn (sp?) the babysitter, the Monster Mutant Killer Snow Goons, and Yukon Ho (where Calvin runs away from home). Plus, the Calvinball ones were always fun.

Phantom

Reaction score
Did you ever see the one where a bunch of office people were standing by a water cooler when a shot rings out, one of the workers goes down and the next frame shows a bunch of deer standing around in hunting clothes congratulating one of them for the kill?

LMBO!

I actually hid in the bathtub to avoid taking a bath as a kid. Calvin was right. They never looked in there.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I LOOVE Calvin & Hobbes! I was OBSESSED when I was little! I can DEFINITELY attribute Bill Watterson for sparking in me & my brother an interest in philosophy! :big_grin:
Amazing Mumford, "Yukon Ho" is the only Calvin & Hobbes book I have! It's one of my favorite story arcs as well! Bill Watterson was so innovative when it came to comic strips...Too bad there's nothing else out there like that anymore! :frown:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
I like the one where Calvin is waiting for the bus and an alien appears that disguises itself as him.

Calvin as Alien as Calvin- *Tries to give Susie the lunchbox* "Hi, ma nam is Kahlfin. Heeryor lunboks. Hoffa gud tay askool."

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Manda:-D said:
I LOOVE Calvin & Hobbes! I was OBSESSED when I was little! I can DEFINITELY attribute Bill Watterson for sparking in me & my brother an interest in philosophy! :big_grin:
Amazing Mumford, "Yukon Ho" is the only Calvin & Hobbes book I have! It's one of my favorite story arcs as well! Bill Watterson was so innovative when it came to comic strips...Too bad there's nothing else out there like that anymore! :frown:
The best part of the whole Yukon Ho story was when he leaves Hobbes in the woods and his dad is out there in the dark looking for the stuffed tiger. That is so something my own dad would have done.

In fact, that's probably what appeals to me most about the strip--there's so much I can to relate to from my own childhood that it makes me feel like a kid again to read it.

I agree that there's nothing like it out there anymore. But, I appreciate Watterson ending the run when he ran dry creatively. He could have easily done the strip on cruise control for another ten years like Jim Davis has done on Garfield.