1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Calvin & Hobbes Plush dolls BY ME!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Ray and Mia, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Ray and Mia

Ray and Mia New Member

Anyone ever heard of the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes?

Well the creator of the strip will not release any merchandise of the C&H characters. That's right.. no t-shirts, plush dolls, hats, stickers or anything! (they do how ever sell the books of all the comic strips)

Anyway.. my Hubby Ray is looooves Calvin & Hobbes, so for his birthday last week I made him a plush doll of Hobbes (the tiger) it took me a VERY long time to finish him.. mainly because I was getting lazy and I had to make the patter myself. But the day before his birthday ,Hobbes was all done!

Well now our 2 year Anniversary is rolling up (May 14th) so I plan to make Ray a plush 'Calvin' (the little boy) to match his friend Hobbes (the tiger) as an anniversary gift. I was thinking, we COULD use them as puppet type dolls too...like do a puppet video with them.. (if we connected rods to their hands) but I dont know if we would want to risk damaging the dolls by poking holes in their arms.

I dunno.. what do you guys think?

Here's pictures of the plush Hobbes doll I made:
    Picture 1
    Picture 2

So now I must try to make a Calvin doll...
    Grrr sewing by hand takes so long!
    *sigh*
  2. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Amazing, realy looks like hobbes, I love the comic strip...sadly I lost all my books when we moved...and a suggestion for the arm rods. You could always tie or glue the rods to rubber bands and slip them on the arms, not damaging them...I dont know how well that would work, but you could always try it
  3. MGov

MGov New Member

That is a really good looking Hobbes. I made a "stuffed" Hobbes version (the one everyone else besides Calvin saw) for a girlfriend in college. Much easier than the one you did.

Good luck on Calvin.
  4. puppetise

puppetise Member

go to my piture trail in my signiture and go to bits and bobs there is a step by step guide to make arm rod that wont damage the toy
  5. Ray and Mia

Ray and Mia New Member

:)

thanks to the ideas everyone!
  6. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

I love Calvin and Hobbes!! You did a really great job with him Mia. Looking forward to your Calvin pics.

Something Waterson is the guys name right? Why won't he mass-produce his stuff? He could make it so the licensor had to follow specific instructions like no Calvin with a pot-leaf or whatever.

Maybe he was miffed at those Calvin peeing on *object* window decals? I still wish he'd continue the strip, those guys have a loooooooot of material left.
  7. Sgt Floyd

Actually, I saw Calvin and Hobbes in a newspaper about a month ago, thinking maybe it would come back, I was really disapointed when it wasnt in the rest of the newspapers I got:boo:
  8. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Bill Watterson doesn't believe in merchandising. Throughout his career he really pushed the idea of comics as art and in the few interviews he's done he's said that putting the characters on mugs and T-shirts cheapens them in his eyes.

One of his famous quotes about merchandising was ""I am a cartoonist, not the leader of a commercial Calvin and Hobbes factory."
  9. whatadoddle

whatadoddle New Member

Hi, I really like Hobbes! My son went through a phase when all he would read or have read was Calvin and Hobbes- he is 12. Now he has stopped, but I still love reading them! I think you have acheived a really good likeness, I am sure Hubby will be thrilled.
  10. TopperFraggle

TopperFraggle Member

I love how half of the rip off Calvin window decals you see are Calvin praying in front of a cross. WWJD? Certainly not commit copyright infringment.

Great Hobbes Mia!
  11. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Watterson once joked that one of his biggest mistakes was underestimating the value of Calvin peeing on a Ford logo. :p
  12. puppetise

puppetise Member

they have new strips here in ozz im iploading them to my picture trail over the next months
  13. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Ah, knew it was something like that, it's been so long.

I agree that some comics are art (like his), but c'mon. I want my Calvin and Hobbes action figures gosh dangit!! :D

Kidding (kinda). ;)
  14. Ray and Mia

Ray and Mia New Member

Awww thanks

thanks everyone! i'm making the Calvin doll right now.. it should be pretty easy ...unlike the Hobbes doll.. well, we'll see.
  15. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

16. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

If you're looking for hair for Calvin, try Lincoln Fabrics on Lincoln Blvd in Venice. That's where I got the fur I used for Mayberry's hair. It's about 3-inch long fake fur and comes in a variety of colors (like bright yellow). I made them into cones and hand stitched each one on as tufts of hair.

Steve
  17. mrhogg

mrhogg New Member

That's a great Hobbes! You really captured it quite well.
  18. bezalel

bezalel New Member

Great patterning skills, Mia. You could make Calvin and Hobbes puppets!
  19. hennesprod

hennesprod New Member

Mia,

That is excellent! You have lots of talent, Mia. It is no small deal to take a 2D image and project and build into a 3D image to hold and have it still hold the the character on the cartoon in came from. Great Job! (standing applause)

William
  20. Sgt Floyd

Good luck with your Calvin :D