1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Camp Lazlo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MissMusical12, Dec 9, 2012.

1. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

So.....I was scrolling around Youtube the past few days and then all of a sudden, Camp Lazlo popped into my mind. I haven't watched that show in a few years and I still remember it being one of my favorite shows (Although, I thought the series finale for this show was....really weird. I mean, I liked the episode...but it was a really weird way the series ended. :smirk: ) So, did anyone used to watch this show at all?
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I wanted to like this show... I REALLY wanted to like this show, but I didn't. It's almost kind of like how Drtooth has pointed out, many times before, Camp Lazlo pretty much only served as a reminder that Rocko was gone.

Not only that, but it too fell victim to CN's overhype... at the time (and I think they still do), EVERY new show CN got was instantly overhyped: from the get go, there were specials (not episodes, specials), TV movies, merchandising, all of which ruined its credibility.
  3. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

I use to love this show I watched it all the time but then i forgot about for ages until I remeberded it one day and went and watched clips of it on youtube
  4. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I hated that show...I didn't even know it was from the same guy who made Rocko until recently...

I always thought they were trying to be Ren and Stimpy only failing on every level to be honest
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to admit, I do like Camp Lazlo, but it's just one of those sad reminders that just because it's the same creator, doesn't mean it's the same quality because they need the same writers to get the show to work. Of course, let's not forget, one of the writers for Rocko had his own show and left it for other things early on (I'll get to that later). Personally, I blame myself and anyone who wanted this to be as funny as Rocko for it not being as funny as Rocko. We all should have known this was a different show completely, just the same creator and some of the same voice actors. Sucks they didn't get Charlie Adler involved. HE would have made the show funnier. It's enjoyable on its own, just not one of CN's best. Though, I must point out this was CN's weakest and worst line up, just before they started the live action nonsense trying to be Hanna Montana. This line up also introduced Squirrel Boy and my personal least favorite, My Gym Partner is a Monkey. Seriously... MGPIAM had the feeling of a bad Disney Saturday Morning cartoon, which would have lasted a season, that was trying too hard to be a Nicktoon and failing. The line up failed to catch on.

I'd say this more recursively. Hear me out... Spongebob is pretty much the same humor as Rocko's Modern Life, just not quite the same. Given the fact it has some of the same writers, of course. Steven Hillenburg was a head writer for Rocko long before Spongebob. Now, if you ask me, Camp Lazlo is trying to be Spongebob, which was trying to be Rocko. Lazlo is very much like Spongebob, the Camp Counsilor is very much like Squidward, moreso than he is trying to be Mr. Bighead. So, the problem with the show's humor is simple. Spongebob has similar humor to Rocko, Lazlo has similar humor Spongebob, essentially a photocopy of a photocopy that lacked the substance of the one prior.
  6. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

I've never been able to bring myself to watch a full episode. The bits and pieces I did see reminded me more of Ren and Stimpy *shrugs*
  7. Drtooth

Yeah. It also has a vibe of the unfunny later Games animation "We don't know what's really special about them" Ren and Stimpy's to it, especially the soundtrack.

But it's... kinda enjoyable. I dig it, but out of the CN originals I like, it's the last one on the list. I mean, I never really cared for Mike, Lu and Ogg, but then again, I never bothered watching it either. And honestly, I have a better batting average of liking Nicktoons to CN, but I pretty much like most of what CN did so far. EVEN the new stuff.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

That's what I thought about Regular Show when it first came out, but Drtooth swears otherwise.

And I don't see any similarities in the humor of Rocko and SpongeBob: I know SpongeBob was created by a former Rocko writer, but the humor of Rocko was more cereberal and edgy (for a kid's show), where as the humor of SpongeBob is more watered-down and slapstick.
  9. Drtooth

It's more like Clerks with Supernatural stuff happening. Ren and Stimpy is hard to explain, since all the good episodes are author appeal and have a weird 1950's retro vibe that the Games animation team didn't get and just got the "Hey, kids like it because it's gross and has nonsequitor endings." The closest thing they have in common is nostalgia from the authors, Regular Show LOVES the 80's. They clearly live in our time line, but they have cassette tapes and 8 bit games, like they just released them. It's stuck in the 80's similar to Ren and Stimpy's stuck in the 50's... but the similarities end there.

It's there... it's painfully obvious when you see it. Just a fuzzy copy of it and more along the lines of if it was like Ralph Bighead's cartoon. If nothing else, Spongebob and Squidward share an exaggerated version of Rocko and Mr. Bighead... only Spongebob is completely stupid and Squidward has a much more comedic depression approach, rather than energetically angry. It's similar, but not quite the same thing... I dunno... someone pointed this out to me years ago, and I forget the specifics... but Spongebob does manage to hide adult jokes in the series as well. Unlike Rocko, they weren't caught because they were a little more subtle. Especially when Spongebob tells the driving instructor, "See you next Tuesday." That was intentional, and I'm not going to explain it.
  10. muppetspot2

muppetspot2 Active Member

I have a question about camp lazlo did tom Kenny voice lazlo or someone else
  11. Drtooth

It's Carols Alazraqui Same guy who did Rocko. But Tom Kenny was the Scout Master. I believe everyone present for Rocko's Modern Life but Charles Adler was in Camp Lazlo.

Too bad they didn't have half the writers... but then again, Steven Hillenburg had Spongebob (and just left it, actually) and Jeff Swampy Marsh was already working on Phineas and Ferb or leaving to work on it.
  12. MissMusical12

Not only that, but Tom Kenny was also the scout master's assistant, Slinkman (which I believe, according to Wikipedia, was his favorite character he's ever voiced.)
  13. Drtooth

Actually, I just checked out the last episode of the series... now I have respect for it, because...

The episode basically involved Lumpus discovering that he can paint a uniform on his body instead of wearing clothes, as he's sick of wasting time doing laundry. Everyone commends him on his idea and he becomes a hero, until it rains and everyone's painted on clothes wash off. There are shouts from the angry mob about him being a crazy person... now, you think the cartoon will end there, but...

a police car and ambulance come out and gives us the big reveal that Lumpus really WAS a crazy person all along and he had the real camp councilor locked in a basement for the duration of the series. Not only that, but the real councilor was a completely shaven elderly cow with Tom Kenny's voice. That's right. The REAL camp councilor was really Heifer from Rocko's Modern Life!
    MissMusical12 likes this.
  14. MissMusical12

When I saw that for the first time I was like "Oh my gosh." I thought that was clever for Joe Murray to do though; giving a cameo to another character from his other series.

Anyways I really liked the episode, but I just thought it was a weird way the series ended. Come to think of it, I think the last two episodes (minus one segment that revolved around Edward) all revolved around Lumpus.
  15. MissMusical12

Bump!
    If you don't believe me about the last two episodes revolved MOSTLY around Lumpus (minus the one revolving around Edward)......
    Wedding Bell Blues- Lumpus and Jane Doe, the scoutmistress to the girls camp, get married.
    Peace Frog- Lumpus has a mid-life crisis and buys a truck and something about frogs. (I don't remember the episode that much.)
    And then the series ends with Lumpus's Last Stand.

The last episode, I believe that revolves around Lazlo himself is "Bad Luck Be A Camper Tonight." Other times, he's either involved in the plot somehow or just....there. (When technically this is HIS show)