Can Lions Gate Release Muppet Television?(JHH)

beaker

Reaction score
I've said it before... but there's definitely something about Lionsgate that managed to coax Disney into lending the likenesses. And I believe that's due in part to Lionsgate being the sub-license distribution company of those terrible 2000 era Disney ABC sitcoms (According to Jim...blech... Hope and Faith... gag... My Wife and Kids... barf). I kinda wish they'd get a sublicense to release the REST of Disney Afternoon's DVDs that Disney was unable to finish. Disney REALLY is fumble thumbs when it comes to non-movie DVD releases.

SW would definitely help out Henson. They believed in his vision... and let's be honest. Without Jim's Muppets Sesame Street wouldn't have lasted 10 years, let alone 41. He helped shape most of the characters that were staples... Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Ernie and Bert... even in an Elmo-centric format, they're still popular characters. Disney, however... well, they're not as generous. When Sony or whoever was releasing stuff owned by Henson, references to the Muppets had to be muted or deleted. That's why Dog City never saw the light of day on DVD in the US. But that licensing deal between those horrid sitcoms seems to be the leverage that Henson needed with Disney.
I think if Secret Life of Toys and Emmet Otter were released these days, the Kermit segments would have been left in tact. For whatever reason, a decision was made to nix those during the more earlier days of the then new Disney buyout. Now days, had it not already been released, Kermit's parts would have stayed in. But you never know what's being mulled about or talked about.

I can almost guarantee that next year, when the full might of the Diz is put behind the Muppets, you'll see LionsGate, Disney and who knows who else reaching into the vaults to release stuff. I personally would LOVE to see Disney release a best of the Muppets.com and youtube on dvd.

I think Sony was a good partner for both the Muppets and Sesame Street. I bought all of the Sony Muppet releases, and a lot of the Sony Wonder stuff. LionsGate of course is a miracle worker, and Im excited to see what they'll be releasing next.
Again, it'd be amazing if they could release Muppet Television, as that truly is one of the most inventive and interesting Henson projects of the last couple decades.

beaker

Reaction score
The DVD with 'Miss Piggys Hollywood', 'The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'TMS: Loretta Switt' was once released in Portugal and is now LONG out of print! Sorry guys! I got mine a long time ago, and it cost alot of money.
Oh trippy! No worries, I recently digitally copied a pretty good copy of the special I didnt even realize I had on vhs. Im such a sucker for anything late 80's! I wonder if there's a list of all worldwide official dvd releases of non North American NTSC Muppet stuff.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
The DVD with 'Miss Piggys Hollywood', 'The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'TMS: Loretta Switt' was once released in Portugal and is now LONG out of print! Sorry guys! I got mine a long time ago, and it cost alot of money.
Oh well. What's the name of the DVD (I'll keep an eye out for it on eBay)?

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
It's a Portuguese DVD called something like 'A Fantastica Miss Piggy'.

Here's a DVD cover that I made for my JHH set...

http://wozzafraggle.deviantart.com/art/JHH-DVD-Cover-176674386

CTS in Canada aired THE JIM HENSON SHOW a few years ago, so there ARE good quality MuppetTelevision segments out there - although not all of the intro/outros are complete. I have these bits edited together with the other material that's available and they make for a pretty cool set!

beaker

Reaction score
It's a Portuguese DVD called something like 'A Fantastica Miss Piggy'.

Here's a DVD cover that I made for my JHH set...

http://wozzafraggle.deviantart.com/art/JHH-DVD-Cover-176674386

CTS in Canada aired THE JIM HENSON SHOW a few years ago, so there ARE good quality MuppetTelevision segments out there - although not all of the intro/outros are complete. I have these bits edited together with the other material that's available and they make for a pretty cool set!
Anyway one can purchase said set ? :stick_out_tongue:

Mine are copies of copies from 90's era tape trades, but I think "well its better than the youtube uploads!"

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
Cool DVD cover!

I would also like to get hold of a copy of the JHH set you have, if that's possible somehow.

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I use to belong to a website called DVDylan where fans of Bob Dylan traded DVDs of concerts. If 5 or 6 people wanted a DVD we started a 'vine'.

A vine is where the person who has the DVD makes a copy of it and sends it to someone who wants it. Then that person makes themself a copy and sends the original to another person who wants it, and so on till all the people who want it have it.

Do we do vines on here?

Could we start a 'vine' with this JHH set?

beaker

Reaction score
I use to belong to a website called DVDylan where fans of Bob Dylan traded DVDs of concerts. If 5 or 6 people wanted a DVD we started a 'vine'.

A vine is where the person who has the DVD makes a copy of it and sends it to someone who wants it. Then that person makes themself a copy and sends the original to another person who wants it, and so on till all the people who want it have it.

Do we do vines on here?

Could we start a 'vine' with this JHH set?
Well I know I have a massive archive of Muppet/Henson/Sesame/etc related specials, clips, etc dating from 1955 to the latest muppets.com, youtube exclusives and tv interviews.
Got every single thing under the Henson Alternative umbrella,
got all the D23 Muppet stuff, Muppet Family Christmas unedited(dvd rip fused with the missing 7 minutes), Muppets Live 2001, MV3d and preshow, every Muppets Tonight, every Muppets Babies, tons of Mopatop, Hoobs, virtually every interview with the Muppets on talk shows/morning shows since the early 90's, Muppets Take Over Today 2008, Cliffs Nightmare dvd rip, etc. I have all the Muppet Television episodes from JHH including the Dog City Muppet Television 10 minute intro; but would love a cleaner better quality version. I have most of the 1950's through 2000's Muppet related commercials. Most the interstitials, bumpers, outtakes, the complete Fraggle Looks For Jobs(vhs rip fused with the Henson youtube clips)
I think other than a few pitch tapes, wrap parties, pilots and other stuff thats been kept internally and hasnt leaked to fan trade circles I have a lot of what's out there.

Actually I don't have any of the Statler and Waldorf at the movies, and still need to find a way to rip the rest of the Muppets.com sketches.

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
"Monster Maker" has been officially on VHS in Australia and laserdisc in Japan. Interestingly on the Japanesse laserdisc cover off Moster Maker has on it "Jim Henson Hour" and according to the Laserdisc database site, "Dog City" was released on laserdisc in Japan from the video label as well (No picture unfortunately) - Would this suggest full length Henson Hour episodes was released?