Can the musical "Hairspray" bring back Muppet Movies?

bknatchbull

Reaction score
Hello,

Some have speculated that with the recent success of 'the musical' (Hairspray) in theatres, this might help with the interest of getting the Muppets back on screen with another musical movie? Any thoughts?

Brian:smile:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
I think musicals are becoming very popular. I mean, theres: Highschool Musical, Hairspray, Dreamgirls, just to name a few. I certainly hope they help bring the muppets back around.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Chicago was a biggee...

Sweeney Todd is coming up...

I heard a rumor that Jersey Boys may get the big-screen treatment...

I'm hoping for a restored Little Shop of Horrors...

Why not a big-screen musical Muppet movie?

jacobsnchz

Reaction score
High School Musical officially brought back the movie-musical. Hairspray brought that popularity to the big screen when HSM brought it to the TV screen. They have been showing alot of movie-musicals since HSM came out.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Not to discount High School Musical or anything, but I think Moulan Rouge brought back the movie-musical.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah no offence to HSM fans, but Moulan Rouge brought back the movie musical. :smile:

SarahOnBway

Reaction score
I agree with Red. It was Moulin Rouge's ingenuity and the smash success of Chicago that made movie musicals profitable again. Still, there have been movie musical BOMBS since then (The Producers, The Phantom of the Opera, Rent), but movie studios are much more welcoming to the idea of producing a movie musical.

And if you want my opinion, the only thing High School Musical did was
make tweens EVEN MORE annoying than before. And sell a lot of stuff.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Just wanted to add that personally I didn't think Chicago was very well thought out as a movie. I only enjoyed a couple of moments. Phantom was pretty good, but I don't really like the musical to begin with, heh. The Producers was disapointing since the stage musical was so amazing.

It would be great if more movie musicals were done, but they have to be done well.

erniebert1234ss

Reaction score
[...] It was Moulin Rouge's ingenuity and the smash success of Chicago that made movie musicals profitable again. Still, there have been movie musical BOMBS since then (The Producers, The Phantom of the Opera, Rent) [...]
Hold up. RENT was a movie musical BOMB? More like a BOMBSHELL! (sorry, I had to get that joke in there :smirk: ) But seriously, I thought Rent was a FANTASTIC movie musical...

BJ