1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Canadian Collectors Support

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by bc-fraggle, Sep 18, 2002.

1. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Hey there everyone! I thought that I would start a new thread for Canadian Collectors. Kinda a support group for all us that are trying to collect the Muppet figures here in Canada. It seems that I have been hitting walls of frustration trying to find them at my stores here in British Columbia and I was curious to know how others were doing and if they had advice to share. The advice I have received from others has been helpful to me and so I thought that this was a great way for others to get help with series 2 around the corner.

Speaking of being Canadian, does anyone know which Canadian actors have been on the Muppet Show? I think Steve Martin is/was Canadian
  2. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

well ,so far I have gotten muppets from TRU, EB and my local comic book store althoughthey were more expensive and less reliable)

the best way, I found, was to preorder them with EB..pay up, and then they call you when the figure arrives. This is no good if you're undecided on the figre though (for example, right now I have only preordered floyd and Animal playset..the others I wanted to see first) Of course,now i think I'll go preorder the others too, because having seen them I want them all..
  3. 80'sboxes

80'sboxes New Member

Hi BC and Stryer

I'm a fellow Canadian too (I live in Toronto for school and Ottawa in the summer with my parents). I have found Toys R Us to be the best place to find figures. I got all mine there for $14.99 each, except the Beaker Playset which they don't carry. Argh. I haven't been collecting these figures for very long so I'm not sure how quickly Toys r us are to get a new series in, but time will tell soon! I also know that comic shops carry the figures as well, but I'd call around first. If you live in a metro area you should have no problem finding them in comic stores. I have also been looking on ebay as well but only on rare occasion have I had success. With the figures selling in the US for around $9.99 its not worth paying the exchange and shipping when you can get it at a store for less. I'm only interested in rare exclusives through ebay.

I hope this helps! And I look forward to talking to you guys again!

Shannon
    ps Sorry BC but Steve Martin isn't Canadian, he was born in Texas :( But Rich little (episode 28) and Anne Murray (episode 87) are.
  4. Lu775

Lu775 Member

I know it doesn't help you at all in BC, but Silver Snail comic store here in Toronto currently still has Kermit, Piggy and the Lab.
    (I was just in there an hour ago) :)
  5. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

Hey 80's! If you're looking for Beaker's Lab, the used bookstore/comic shop called "the Paperback exchange" (comic shop in basement) had three in stock last wednesday when I was there (one week ago). They are in a plaza at the corner of Lawrence and McCowan in Scarborough, SE side, kitty-corner with Scarboro General Hospital. The price for these was around 36 each before taxes, I beleive. There phone # is 416-439-3045 if you wish to call them to see if they still have stock, or ask for direction, and the exact address of the store is 659 McCowan Rd, Scarbrough, ON.

now this all doesn't help if you're stillin ottawa, but since school started, I'm thinking you're in toronto now?

edit: and I see while I was posting this, someone else pointed out silver snail..much more central location for ya...so there ya go...
  6. 80'sboxes

80'sboxes New Member

Thanks Lu and Stryder for the info. I am actually left destitue in Toronto as I have no car and have to rely on the TTC. Not so bad actually but I think scarborough is too out of the way for me. I live downtown off Queen street so Silver Snail is much closer for me. It doesn't hurt that a great Toys R Us is just up the street too, well at least for when series 2 comes out.

Thanks guys
    Shannon
  7. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

right on..just remember...animal is gonna be hard to find, and won't show up at TRU...preorder if you want one...
  8. Prof Shubbly

Prof Shubbly New Member

Another soul in Toronto here. I've actually found that the TRUs around here have sucked for stocking the Muppets figures. It was a least a month after I bought mine from EB before I started seeing the Muppets popping up in TRUs. With the new EBs popping up in different places across the city and how well series 1 sold there, I'm hopeful for getting Series 2 fairly easily. Also, just about every comic store in town has bought some of series 1, so hopefully they'll have series 2 on the shelves as well

Any Toronto folks have any particular spots (aside from the Silver Snail) where they go to find toys?

Prof. Shubbly
  9. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

I actually found that the best tru store is not in toronto, but outside, in Whitby..they stock Everything and really work out well...the one downtown is good too...I am in scarboro and work in markhma, tho0ugh,so I try to stay on the east end...and check the TRU's in scarboro and the EB at scarboro town centre most..plus my comic book store, listed above.
  10. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Hi guys!
    wow this post is really taking off! I have to say though that it sucks for me being a loner B.C. fan - so far. I did manage to find Dr.Teeth at a comic store and I am going there in awhile. A little fearful of the price, but at this point because I am starting to collect late, I will have to suffer the consequence! Still looking for the Lab and Dr.Honeydew though.
    I do have some good news, I emailed Palisades with my ToysRUs concerns. I really wasn't expecting a reply seeming that they must be busy. The guys there sent me a letter stating that all Canadian TRU are to carry the Muppets.
    After the comic store I will go to my EB and preorder series 2 and animal! I'll let you guys know how I make out there!
    How are you guys making out with the exclusive figures. One EB that I went to had 3 long hair Piggy's. I hear Gonzo is next for them. No tux Kermit anywhere, but like I said my TRU stores are sucking hard at stocking the muppets.
  11. Prof Shubbly

Prof Shubbly New Member

Actually, Canadian TRUs turned down the Kermit exclusive, so you won't find it in any TRUs up here. I was lucky enough to pick mine up when I was in California on a business trip, though getting out to the nearest TRU was a bit of a pain.

Prof. Shubbly
  12. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

yes, unfortunately candian TRU stores rarely carry US exclusives. This is often due to the problem of unilingual packaging (english only) but not always. I have sadly missed out on tuxedo kermit, but that's okay as I am primarily interested in the more traditional versions of them anyway. I did pick up long-hair piggy, who is IMO, a huge improvement on the non-exclusive version...

Dr. Teeth rocks! MY favorite out of the ones I have. And yeah, gonzo's apparently the next exclusive for EB, with different colours and a helmet that I think is not included with the normal one? I'm not sure about that helmet part....

good to get confirmation about wave 2 at TRU! Thanks!

I still recommned getting the lab and bunsen online if nothing else works out. They are still available in a few places...
  13. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Ok guys!
    First off Styder Wolfe is a collecting genius! From now on I reconmend to take heed to the words of the "wolfe"!
    I went to my EB (electronics boutique) and the lady manager there was more than happy to preorder all of series 2 (nice lady! ), including the Animal set! All I had to do was put down a deposit, which was $5.00 bucks for each one. If only I had known this say in May and I could now have been the owner of the lab set.
    She also told me that the exclusive gonzo(?)would be arriving September 25th! If this is correct and you want one, be prepared. The guy at the comic store where I bought, Dr. Teeth from gave it to me at a reduced cost cause he felt bad that he didn't have the lab to sell me. I was a lucky guy all around yesterday when I did my Muppet hunting and prebuying! What makes EB's Gonzo different from the mass market version?
    Thanks a million Wolfe! You're my hero!
  14. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

well, I've been doing it for a while now...but thanks, no problem :p

Oh, and as for the Gonzo exclusive...I'm willing to bet that it will be pushed back and won't be around till mid-late october, as the rest of the line has...but I don't htink EB has updated their dates yet...

did they let you preorder the exclusive as well??? I'm curious..I have to go to EB and pre-order the rest of the figs myself..so far only floyd and animal on preorder...

oh, the difference between Gonzo's is in colour mainly, and I think exclusive is the only one that comes with a helmet? Anyone else know that for sure??
  15. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

hey look at that! I'm an official member now and not a "Junior" anymore :D
  16. Prof Shubbly

Prof Shubbly New Member

I'm just happy that there's a thread like this where I can actually contribute usefully. Maybe I'll be able to be a real member some day.

Prof. Shubbly
  17. grail

grail New Member

only 24 more posts to go, and then you too can be a "real" bo...er, member...the magic number is 30...
  18. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Wowzers guys! I am now a member!
    As for the Gonzo at EB being the exclusive gonzo - that I am not sure about... I just assumed that it would be. So I stand corrected. I am actually guessing that it probably isn't. Time will tell though...

I think too that the exclusive Gonzo is the one that comes with a helmet... I heard that too somewhere. Thanks Wolfe once again for the tips.
  19. bc-fraggle

bc-fraggle New Member

Here's a question for you guys:

I was getting all excited to order my vacation Fozzie from the toyfare magazine. (I keep mentioning this magazine a lot, you'd think I have a job or something with them - which I don't) Anyhow on the order form I read the small print, and it said that the items shipped would take between 16-20 weeks to arrive. 16-20 weeks! Is this true? Have any of you ordered from them?
  20. ResidentLilly

ResidentLilly Active Member

That is pure CYA on their part, and rightfully so. They never take that long, but they have to say that in case things go horribly wrong! I think some people here could probably tell you that they had a good turnaround time on Tux Kermit.