Carol Burnett Show: Bump up the Lights

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Hiya.I was able to see The Carol Burnett Show when it aired in the 70s.I was ever-fixed on that show(and the majority of other variety shows during that time too).I think it's a shame they don't have variety shows anymore.I did like the reunion show(though most of the clips were used on the other reunion shows too,though great to see again.).I'm glad to see they all still have their touch and sense of humor.I do miss the Carol Burnett Show.I know they are selling best of shows on dvd; wish they would have a box set(s) of the show,that would be great.Does anyone at MC have any Carol Burnett favorite skits or memories?Thanks for looking. :big_grin:

Here are some of my favorite Carol Burnett Show skits,etc...
-show finales
-show theme song
-Tuddball & Wiggins
-movie & tv parodies
-Family sketches
-watching the cast fall out laughing(especially Tim & Harvey)
-terrific guest stars
-bump up the lights
-Carol tugging on her ear

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I loved the Carol Burnett Show and especially when Tim Conway would crack up the others. My understanding is that he would not attend practice and would ad-lib many of his lines.

My favorite skit was a Momma's Family skit and Tim Conway was talking about elephants joined at the trunks and a little monkey would go up and down along the trunks. He had everybody laughing and at the end of his ad-libbed bit Vicki Lawrence said something that had everybody on the floor laughing. It is the funniest thing I have ever seen on TV.

matleo

Reaction score
I remember that clip. Dick van Dyke was in that one too. She got to the end and called him a uhm...rather unflattering name. and she was so deadpan about it too.

but I have two favorties. Both are also Conway pieces. I like the one where he demonstrates the vacuum that's "so simple, even a monkey could use it" and the proceeds to act like a monkey vacuuming, and he's climbing the set with this thing and running all over. it's unbridled madness

The other favorite is one where he plays a German interrogation officer in WW2 and Lyle wagner plays a POW, and Conway interrogates him with an Adolph hitler hand puppet. If you see just in Carol Burnett clip in your life, make it this one! Conway is at his all time best and poor Wagner is just helpless. I absolutly love that piece!!

--matt

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
My favorite comes from the beginning of one of the shows that had Roddy McDowall as the guest star. It was around the timeframe that Roddy was either doing one of the Planet of the Apes movies or the television series. So Carol introduces Roddy, citing some of the roles that he's played and she makes a comment on how easily recognizeable he is.

Then Roddy comes onstage, wearing his make-ups from the Apes films. He's got the chimp face on, the hand toupees, everything, plus he's wearing a tuxedo. After staring at him in shock for about a minute Carol starts to exchange small talk with Roddy. He compliments her, says that she's looking wonderful and Carol hesitantly replies that he is as well.

His response? "Well, I should. I just spent a weekend in Palm Springs; I was working on my tan." Carol's expression is priceless.

-Kim

teebs

Reaction score
I love the Tuddball & Wiggins sketches.

There's also a hilarious sketch with Tim Conway as a very slow old man trying to help an actor (Harvey Corman) change between scenes. Corman is exasperated with Conway's speed, or lack thereof.

Their comedy was ingenius.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
One of my fav. all-time skit is Tim as the old man,working in a deli & Harvey as the customer.Still makes me laugh.I do love that story of the Siamese elephants joined at the trunk,so funny & Sunnyset Blvd. :smirk:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
OGM, this special was classic!

And Vicki even did Mama's voice a few times! WOO-HOO! I loved how they all cracked me up---and that Vicki got some big laughs! :big_grin:

I loved 'em all together again, even though Carol was the star since it focused on the Q&As, but it was entirely hilarious.

To me, nothin' will compare with "The Carol Burnett Show: A Reunion" (1993), but this is way up there near it.

I am definitely gonna order the DVD!

:big_grin:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
We happened upon it by accident; we didn't know it was going to be on but were happy to stumble on it. It was a great special. :smile:
Erin

matleo

Reaction score
Yeah, Byron, I have the '93 reunion somewhereo ntape. that is a classic. I liked the song they did at the end of that. and they showed a lot of classic clips. the fun thing about the Carol Burnett cast is you can see how much respect and love they have for each other and it is all give and take and they have SO much fun when they're together. you never hear anything about them back-stabbing, arguing, fightin, etc. with each other. they really are somethign of a family and think that's kindo f special.

--Matt

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Glad ya saw it Erin! :big_grin:

And yeah matleo, you said it...except there was some tension between Vicki and Carol in the late '80s, but I'm so glad they're all "good" again! :smile: (Vicki details this in her book).