Caroll Spinney Book Signing in NYC

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
Just got back from the book signing and I must say, this was the best time I've ever had.

Caroll started out with a joke when he opened up by giving a bible chapter and then said just kidding and went on to read a passage from his book.

After he was done, he opened the floor up for questions.....I cant remember everything and the questions may not be in chronological order, but I will try to give some highlights to the best of my recollection:

Talked about how he got his start in the business and how he was discovered by Jim Henson

Mentioned that the average time he can hold his hand up for Big Bird is for 11 minutes or so, but can go for 20......Had to hold his hand up for an hour and a half in Australia doing Big Bird, but he said he couldnt pass up the opportunity to go to Australia

Talked about how he performs both Big Bird and Oscar at the same time

Talked about Danny Devito and the time Devito was dressed as a hobo and how much fun it was working with Danny and how Danny when he was doing a movie oversea's took 13 episodes of Sesame Street with him for him and his kids and after watching them over and over, he was calling all over the states trying to get some new episodes.

Talked about Jim Henson death and how he got the call in the morning from Henson's assistant/secretary called him and told him Jim had passed on. His wife, Debra thought that Caroll's father had passed on when they got the call (This story is explained in the book)

Talked about Jim Hensons funeral and about the 1500 butterflies that were floating and about Big Bird signing "It's Not Easy Being Green" and how he did it while he was trying to hold back his tears.

Mentioned the Henson sale to the German TV people after Jim;s death and how Sesame owns their Muppets

Told some stories about Richard Hunt and Richards characters, specifically mentioning Don Music and the reason we no longer see him

Told a story how he performed Lefty the Salesman once and just recently saw his appearance as the Salesman on TV recently and joked that Frank Oz gets the royalty check for that segment, even though he performed him

Spoke of how Frank was on the set to perform his characters this past season, but is not as active as he used to be due to his busy schedule and mentioned that Jerry Nelson still performs the Count

Talked about how Oscar was originally supposed to be purple and live in the gutter, then when he he saw him for the 1st time, he was orange and lived in a trash can Told the story of how Oscar's voice originated and how the 1st puppet barely fit his hand and how small the garbage can was.The green Oscar was first debted on the Flip Wilson show.Someone from Sesame Street was there and saw the green Oscar and was like "What the ****" and wanted the whole thing shot over, but it couldnt be done due to what it cost to film the skit

I got to ask a question and it was about Bruno...I asked What ever happened to Bruno and how was he performed -- According to Caroll, Bruno came about as a means to transport Oscar around when he had to perform him on stage at a concert or operan hall due to there being no curtains or areas to hide behind.He created the concept of Bruno and made a drawing of what he should look like.Recently he asked about bringing Bruno back, but it cant be done as the puppet has deterioated and it would cost about 10 to 20 thousand dollars to restore him (OUCH !!)

The highlight of the evening, was a suprise appearance by one of his characters...I dont wanna ruin the suprise, if he does it in your area...Lets just say that you wont be disappointed :smile:

After the Q&A and suprise character appearance, Caroll started to sign the books. They started with children first (which I think is only right, and then went row by row). I happened to be sitting in the 1st row right in front of the podium, so I was like the 6th person to meet him. Caroll was very nice and such a gentleman.We talked about Muppet Central and how he's heard of it, but never visited it as he don't have a computer.He asked me what I do for a living and I mentioned I work with computers and he started talking to me about Sesame Streets website.I also asked him about Richard Hunt's involvement in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and if Richard puppeteered Oscar while he did Big Bird..Caroll said he might have, but he could not remember, but that Richard was with Jerry Nelson performing Snuffy on CEOSS. He also mentioned that CEOSS is one of his all time favorite Sesame Street productions.I also started talking with him about Eric Jacobson and David Rudman and their characters and he was like "Wow..you're real knowledgeable" and I replied "I've been a fan for over 25yrs" and with that he smiled and shook my hand and I went my way.

All and all, if Caroll comes to your town for the book tour, I suggest going as you will not leave disappointed !!!

I will be developing my film tomorrow and will send the photos over to Phil to be posted on the web site.

On a side note..if anyone videotaped this, please let me know as I would like a copy.Thanks !!

Michael

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Hey Michael, I sat next to you (seperated by a row) and was right in back of you on line. I heard a little of what Caroll said to you. I got to ask him about Lefty, at first he didn't remember who Lefty was, but then remembered that he did perform him once and then Frank performed him.

When I got my book signed, I asked him about being inside Big Bird. Apparently now he uses some kind of neck cooling thing, he doesn't use any kind of bandana or head band to absorb his sweat (that's what I use to do when I was a theme park character). He told me how during the first few years, he had the opportunity to get a cooling vest for $200, but Jim wouldn't spring for it. (sounds just like Six Flags)

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
It was good to see a fellow Muppet Central Member at the book signing. Its also good to know that Caroll is aware that Muppet Central exists.

The Lefty question was a good one, especially when he was joking about the royality check Frank gets for the one segment Caroll did as Lefty. I didnt even know that he played Lefty in a segment. I always believed Lefty to be performed by Frank. Thanks again for asking that question as I just learned something new.

I also like how Caroll told the Don Music story and why Don ain't used anymore.

What saddens me is how Sesame Workshop or for that matter, Henson let the Bruno costume/puppet deteroiate. You would think they would have put the costume/puppet in some type of storage unit and have it checked on occasionaly. It's just SAD :frown:

I had a whole lot of questions to ask Caroll during the Q&A, but I narrowed it down to the Bruno question.

Whats even more amazing, is that I just finished watching the Flip Wilson show before I went to the signing and lo and behold, Caroll started talking about it and I knew what he was talking about.

BTW...Did you happen to hear Caroll mention about Henson being sold...Was he refering to when they originally sold it EM.TV or the current sale ongoing ?

This book signing & Q&A makes up for me not being able to go to Muppet Fest.

Michael

Luke

Reaction score
Awesome review ! Sounds like Caroll is a great guy as we all know and he's a diamond for taking questions and having the time to speak to people.

You might be saddened by the deterioration of Bruno but if people knew what other characters have basically fallen to bits or disintergrated they would be depressed for a year. I don't think Henson have had the right facilities in the past or something bad happened along the way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I am going to the Boston area one tonight... I cannot wait...

matleo

Reaction score
Micheal I was also nearby. Actually I was the one sitting on the other side of Pez who asked about Richard Hunt, plugged the Garden State Guild of puppetry, and helped Carroll remember the website for Puppeteers of America. Sorry we didn't actually know it was you. Next time we should really try to coordinate these things. Anyway, yeah it was fun night. Carroll is a great guy very warm. I can't really add much to what Mike just said. He summed up most of it pretty nicely.

--Matt

Jackie

Reaction score
Man, I really wish I wasn't in the middle of exams!!!!

Hays

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the post, guys - heard him on NPR the other morning doing an interview during the news.

Can't wait - will be seeing him in Naperville on the 13th.

I'm amazed that he's doing an independant bookstore in a smallish suburb of Chicago, and not, say, the downtown Borders - or even Barbara's, another indepentant. Hope it's his choice and not the stupidity of the larger stores.

Drtooth

Reaction score
IMPORTANT!!!

Do they charge admission????

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
I cant speak for all the places that he'll be on his book tour, but last night in NYC admission was free. Best bet is to call the store where he is going to be at and ask someone.

Michael