1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Caroll Spinney (Oscar & Big Bird)

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by JimmyDeanDog, Mar 6, 2003.

1. JimmyDeanDog

JimmyDeanDog Member

Is Caroll still alive and well?

Hope so..and when's his birthday?

Thanks,
    -JDD
    **Campaining for the release of the FIRST Seseme Street
    LP from 1970 to be released nationally on a CD**
  2. ScottMonster

ScottMonster New Member

He is indeed. If I'm not mistaken, he's now pushing 70 and he's still performing Big Bird and Oscar as he has been since the show began. Howver, it looks as though he dosen't plan on doing it much longer since he seems to be gradually "breaking in" Matt Vogel as his long term replacement, who performed Big Bird in last season's "Journey To Ernie" segments. And I would imagine he'd be taking over as Oscar as well.
  3. WOCKA2416

WOCKA2416 New Member

Spinney said that he would do Big Bird and Oscar as long as he can hold his arm up above his head....I love to hear that! Hopefully, he'll be around for a long time.
  4. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

This reminds me...my girlfriend has expressed a desire to write Caroll Spinney a letter telling him how much she appreciates his characters. Aside from the Sesame Workshop, is there a better address to mail the letter to?

Scott
  5. ScottMonster

ScottMonster New Member

Caroll Spinney has an entire website devoted to him, maintained by a fan. Just click on this link for where you can write him:

http://carollspinney.netfirms.com/docs/address.html

Or email Jeni, who maintains that site and knows him personally. But she will NOT give out his private home address.

How do I know this?

Because...

I am The Mighty Favog...I know all!;)
  6. Boober_Gorg

Boober_Gorg Active Member

I wonder if there would be a way to get copies of that Crazy Crayon show? Maybe I should write to him about it.
  7. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

Thanks for the link.
  8. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Carroll Spinney is one of our favorites, and when talking about Muppeteers we always remember (of course) Jim and Frank then Jerry, Dave, and Steve, then Kevin and Bill...I think we forget that Carroll IS a Muppeteer sometimes because we associate the word Muppets with TMS all the time.

BTW, since Sesame Workshop owns the SS characters, are they still called Muppets, and does the JHC still produce characters for them, or do they hire out someone else now?
  9. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Yes, Carroll is one of the best out there. Besides that, he's also been with the company for over thirty years.

Sadly, I think you're right, Kevin. He usually is over-looked, probably because he only ever performed on Sesame Street and in Big Bird and Oscar cameoes.
  10. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

I believe that was a condition of the sale of the JHC-owned portion of the company: that Henson puppet builders would supply the puppets and Henson perofrmers would perform them.
  11. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Good, I guess at least the JHC is still involved somewhat, huh? That's all good.

I think what Carroll was doing when Jim first saw him at a PofA convention (performing puppetry and animation at the same time) was brave and innovative. Carroll is a great talent.
  12. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Right. Carroll said the thing he was trying to do didn't work right. So, it was indeed brave to attempt something like that.

Jim said something like "I liked what you were trying to do. Why don't you come to New York and talk about the Muppets."

Was that the first or second time the two of them met? I know they never ended up talking about the Muppets the first time.