Is Caroll still alive and well?

Hope so..and when's his birthday?

Thanks,
-JDD
**Campaining for the release of the FIRST Seseme Street
LP from 1970 to be released nationally on a CD**

ScottMonster

Reaction score
He is indeed. If I'm not mistaken, he's now pushing 70 and he's still performing Big Bird and Oscar as he has been since the show began. Howver, it looks as though he dosen't plan on doing it much longer since he seems to be gradually "breaking in" Matt Vogel as his long term replacement, who performed Big Bird in last season's "Journey To Ernie" segments. And I would imagine he'd be taking over as Oscar as well.

WOCKA2416

Reaction score
Spinney said that he would do Big Bird and Oscar as long as he can hold his arm up above his head....I love to hear that! Hopefully, he'll be around for a long time.

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
This reminds me...my girlfriend has expressed a desire to write Caroll Spinney a letter telling him how much she appreciates his characters. Aside from the Sesame Workshop, is there a better address to mail the letter to?

Scott

ScottMonster

Reaction score
Caroll Spinney has an entire website devoted to him, maintained by a fan. Just click on this link for where you can write him:

http://carollspinney.netfirms.com/docs/address.html

Or email Jeni, who maintains that site and knows him personally. But she will NOT give out his private home address.

How do I know this?

Because...

I am The Mighty Favog...I know all!:wink:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I wonder if there would be a way to get copies of that Crazy Crayon show? Maybe I should write to him about it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Carroll Spinney is one of our favorites, and when talking about Muppeteers we always remember (of course) Jim and Frank then Jerry, Dave, and Steve, then Kevin and Bill...I think we forget that Carroll IS a Muppeteer sometimes because we associate the word Muppets with TMS all the time.

BTW, since Sesame Workshop owns the SS characters, are they still called Muppets, and does the JHC still produce characters for them, or do they hire out someone else now?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yes, Carroll is one of the best out there. Besides that, he's also been with the company for over thirty years.

Sadly, I think you're right, Kevin. He usually is over-looked, probably because he only ever performed on Sesame Street and in Big Bird and Oscar cameoes.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
does the JHC still produce characters for them, or do they hire out someone else now?
I believe that was a condition of the sale of the JHC-owned portion of the company: that Henson puppet builders would supply the puppets and Henson perofrmers would perform them.