Caroll Spinney to recieve Lifetime Acheivement Award

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
'Sesame Street' Puppeteer to Be Honored
Wednesday January 18 4:17 PM ET

Caroll Spinney, the puppeteer who plays "Sesame Street" icons Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, will receive the lifetime achievement award at this year's Daytime Emmy Awards.

Spinney was chosen for his work entertaining and educating children for nearly four decades, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced Wednesday.

"I am elated and amazed to receive this honor from those who are committed to the best of what television and media have to offer, for doing what I've always wanted to do," Spinney, a puppeteer since he was 8, said in a statement.

Spinney has played the 8-foot-2 lemon-feathered Big Bird and garbage-can dweller Oscar the Grouch since the children's public television series debuted in 1969. He chronicled his experiences portraying the characters in "The Wisdom of Big Bird."

The 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards will air April 28 from the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles on ABC.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Great! I don't think anyone else deserves it more than him! Congrats Mr. Spinney!

Barry Lee

Reaction score
I hope they will air this in the Daytime Emmy's that would be such a wonderful thing! This is great.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
The 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards will air April 28 from the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles on ABC.
Wow, they're moving the awards to L.A. They've always been in New York in the past. And they're about two weeks earlier, too.

:stick_out_tongue:

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Wow! That's great news! I hope that I'm home to watch it, it would be great to see him receive it! He's so well deserving!

Erine81981

Reaction score
One of my all time favorite characters of all. You go Spinney!

BEAR

Reaction score
What a lovely honor to such a wonderful man who has brought so much joy into the lives of all of us. One of my personal heros too. I am very pleased by this. He deserves it!

zns

Reaction score
The fact that Caroll was chosen for this award is by far the best news that I've heard so far this year. He greatly deserves this after being on Sesame Street for so long. This is a little off topic here, but I actually wrore to Caroll a few years ago. i told him that I was a huge admirer of his work and asked him what kind of skills were required to become a Muppeteer, which is the kind of job that I hope to have in the future. He responded by saying that if I wanted to have a job with the Muppets, I should do stuff like practicing in front of an audience, take singing lessons, that kind of stuff, He also suggested that I should try and join guilds on websites such as Google or Yahoo. He also sent me an autograph photo of himself saying "Keep puppeteering, Caroll (Big Bird) Spinney". What also makes his response even more amazin is that he didn't even bother to type up the letter. He wrote the message in a blanck greeting card, with his handwriting in permanent ink. That just goes to show you how big of a heart Caroll has. God bless you Big Bird and:grouchy: .