1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Caroll Spinney to recieve Lifetime Acheivement Award

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by Kimp the Shrimp, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

'Sesame Street' Puppeteer to Be Honored
    Wednesday January 18 4:17 PM ET

Caroll Spinney, the puppeteer who plays "Sesame Street" icons Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, will receive the lifetime achievement award at this year's Daytime Emmy Awards.

Spinney was chosen for his work entertaining and educating children for nearly four decades, the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced Wednesday.

"I am elated and amazed to receive this honor from those who are committed to the best of what television and media have to offer, for doing what I've always wanted to do," Spinney, a puppeteer since he was 8, said in a statement.

Spinney has played the 8-foot-2 lemon-feathered Big Bird and garbage-can dweller Oscar the Grouch since the children's public television series debuted in 1969. He chronicled his experiences portraying the characters in "The Wisdom of Big Bird."

The 33rd Annual Daytime Emmy Awards will air April 28 from the Kodak Theatre in Los Angeles on ABC.
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

AWESOME!! Great news, and well-deserved.
  3. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Great! I don't think anyone else deserves it more than him! Congrats Mr. Spinney!
  4. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

I hope they will air this in the Daytime Emmy's that would be such a wonderful thing! This is great.
  5. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Wow, they're moving the awards to L.A. They've always been in New York in the past. And they're about two weeks earlier, too.

:p
  6. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Wow! That's great news! I hope that I'm home to watch it, it would be great to see him receive it! He's so well deserving!
  7. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

One of my all time favorite characters of all. You go Spinney!
  8. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

What a lovely honor to such a wonderful man who has brought so much joy into the lives of all of us. One of my personal heros too. I am very pleased by this. He deserves it!
  9. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Alright!!! Way to go Caroll!!!
  10. zns

zns Well-Known Member

The fact that Caroll was chosen for this award is by far the best news that I've heard so far this year. He greatly deserves this after being on Sesame Street for so long. This is a little off topic here, but I actually wrore to Caroll a few years ago. i told him that I was a huge admirer of his work and asked him what kind of skills were required to become a Muppeteer, which is the kind of job that I hope to have in the future. He responded by saying that if I wanted to have a job with the Muppets, I should do stuff like practicing in front of an audience, take singing lessons, that kind of stuff, He also suggested that I should try and join guilds on websites such as Google or Yahoo. He also sent me an autograph photo of himself saying "Keep puppeteering, Caroll (Big Bird) Spinney". What also makes his response even more amazin is that he didn't even bother to type up the letter. He wrote the message in a blanck greeting card, with his handwriting in permanent ink. That just goes to show you how big of a heart Caroll has. God bless you Big Bird and:grouchy: .
  11. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Wow, that's really cool and what a well deserved honor!
  12. sugarbritchez

sugarbritchez Active Member

I agree.........very much well deserved!!!
  13. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I think it's fine you post this here. not bad at all.
  14. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Well done, Mr. Spinney. And by "well done," I mean "Wow, what an amazing career you've had and what a huge impact on generation after generation of children and thanks for everything and it's about time that you received such a fitting tribute and I hope your Emmy includes a coupon for a birdseed milkshake."

:)
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Aw, just as I sat down to type this message, Big Bird came on the Muppet Central Radio.

Congrats, Caroll! Like everyone's been saying, he's very deserving of this for the work he's done with Big Bird and Oscar all these years. I really hope they air it on TV.
  16. zns

zns Well-Known Member

They should put it on tv. It deserves to be shown to everyone who has grown with Caroll since their childhood.
  17. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

If they do put this one TV, what network will air this?
  18. dinoboy

dinoboy Member

Caroll Spiney, didn't he do the voice of Big Bird? I somehow remember seeing a show on tv saying how angry he was about all the letters he's received about people saying that Big Bird doesn't look 8' 2" tall. They proved it on tv once by having Big Bird come through a 7' high doorway. Big Bird did have to bend down to come through. I believe Big Bird's height is true, since he does look that tall when I saw him at Sesame Street Live. I believe it's just a camera trick they do that makes him look shorter, since he wouldn't fit into the whole picture with the other people.
  19. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Where on earth did you hear this? Caroll Spinney getting angry?! Is there such a thing?
  20. zns

zns Well-Known Member

Everybody gets angry, you know that. Even Jim Henson got angry at a few people in his life, including at Jerry Nelson.