Carroll Spinney the most dedicated Muppeteer

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Out of all the performers who have been around over the years. I would have to say the most dedicated is Carroll Spinney. Frank Oz is great, although he left the Muppets and most of Sesame Street behind, I can kind of see why. I guess with Jim gone he felt as though the magic of being a puppeteer was gone. It had been said by several different people, the chemistry of Jim and Frank's charachters was remarkable. Which is true if you think about it (Ernie and Bert, Kermit and Piggy, Fozzie and Kermit, Rowlf and Fozzie, Grover and Kermit, Cookie Monster and Ernie, Guy Smiley and Cookie Monster. He just wanted to leave his past behind him, which I can understand. Jerry Nelson wanted to retire, I mean the guy was pushing 70, you can't really blame him. Iv'e heard that being a puppeteer is really hard on a person's arm, and I'm proud of Jerry for sticking things out for as long as he did. He still performs the Count on Sesame Street, but Iv'e been told he only dubs the voice, and I understand that totally. The Count of all charachters looks like a rather heavy puppet. Jerry wanted to take the rest of his life to relax. Others have came and went over the years, Brian Meehl, Jim Martin, Camile Bonora etc. Carroll Spinney on the other hand, has been around since 1969. For 36 years he has performed Big Bird and Oscar. His charachters have evolved over the years. They changed in appearance, and slightly in personality (Oscar used to seem a lot rougher and scary, and Big Bird used to seem a little more hyper) Although Matt Vogel does stand in for Carroll once in a while. Carroll still performs his charachters quite a bit. I can see why he has Matt Vogel as a Backup puppeteer. He knows he's getting older and he knows he can't do as much as he used to. An understudy was the smartest idea Iv'e ever heard of. Carroll will be 72 years old in just a couple more months. And he's still going strong, strolling around the street playing new games with the kids as Big Bird. He's still (Happily) Miserable in his trashcan on the stoop he's been residing for 36 years, telling everyone to scram, and go away, and get lost! as Oscar the Grouch. In the early days, Carroll used to perform some anything Muppets, but I'm glad he stuck with his main 2 guys. He's the best at Being Big Bird and Oscar. I loved his book, I sat there and read it all day long on a rainy day 2 years ago when I first bought it. It was very interesting, and I found out a lot of things I always wanted to know but was afraid to ask. Carroll is great, I love Carroll, I grew up with Carroll, and his 2 main men. I hope I can meet the man before he passes on to join his friends, Jim and Richard. I hope he stays alive for at least another 10 years and contiues to entertain children around the country. God Bless you Carroll :grouchy: :grouchy: :grouchy:

BEAR

Reaction score
I agree with you. Carroll Spinney has always been someone I admire greatly in the Muppet world. I have his book too, and I read straight through it within about a week I think. It is a book I will never be done with though because I always go back and reread things. It is very inspiring. He always said that he would keep performing Big Bird until he can't hold the head up anymore. He is 72 years old and still doing it! It is obvious he loves his job and is proud of what he has done for half his life. He is also very grateful. He never takes what he does for granted. It has been good to him and he has been good to it. I love Carroll Spinney. He is a true feathered friend.

wes

Reaction score
Caroll Spinney

Every One Should Read His Book It's Great:smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
His book "Wisdom of Big Bird" IS an awesome book! The illustrations were great.

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
His book "Wisdom of Big Bird" IS an awesome book! The illustrations were great.
Carroll Spinney is a wonderful artist.

BEAR

Reaction score
I wonder if when Carroll retires completely if they will leave the Mr. Hooper picture he drew in the nest. They probably will though.

I loved the relationship that Carroll had with Will Lee. I loved the story he told about the last time he saw Will Lee before he died. Will Lee never discussed his illness, but I think Carroll could sense something. They were on the set and Carroll had the Big Bird legs on. He walked up to Will, put his arm around him and said "I love you, Mr. Looper." To which Will said, "And I love you too, Carroll." That was their last conversation before Will died about 4 days later.

janicegroupie

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I wonder if when Carroll retires completely if they will leave the Mr. Hooper picture he drew in the nest. They probably will though.

I loved the relationship that Carroll had with Will Lee. I loved the story he told about the last time he saw Will Lee before he died. Will Lee never discussed his illness, but I think Carroll could sense something. They were on the set and Carroll had the Big Bird legs on. He walked up to Will, put his arm around him and said "I love you, Mr. Looper." To which Will said, "And I love you too, Carroll." That was their last conversation before Will died about 4 days later.
Reading that again makes me want to cry. That is so touching. It always gets to me when I read about the filming of the episode when Big Bird finds out Mr. Hooper died. It sounds like it was such an emotional scene to film. I really have to reread Carroll's book. It was awesome. He really is an amazing and dedicated puppeteer who does not receive enough credit.

BEAR

Reaction score
janicegroupie said:
Reading that again makes me want to cry. That is so touching. It always gets to me when I read about the filming of the episode when Big Bird finds out Mr. Hooper died. It sounds like it was such an emotional scene to film. I really have to reread Carroll's book. It was awesome. He really is an amazing and dedicated puppeteer who does not receive enough credit.
True on all counts. To me, if Jim Henson was the creative mind, Carroll Spinney was the heart of Sesame Street.

The Hooper episode was amazing. And of course they did one take because those were the true tears as he said.

superfan

Reaction score
Even in the interviews on the A&E Biography special, there was a definate difference in personality bteween Carroll and Frank. Carroll was almost gleeful ,or giddy at recounting his memories with Jim and how much he enjoys playing Big Bird and Oscar. You can tell he's a truly a child at heart. With Frank, I found him almost stiff and talked in a very matter of fact sort of way. The man has accomplished some great things, granted, but I was disappointed to see that he was not near as enthusiastic or even relaxed as Carroll was. Frank was Jim's right hand man (or left, depending!)...you would think that would be by far the most exciting thing someone could talk about!!